Author Topic: My new 1876 in 50-95. Questions and upgrades.  (Read 5290 times)

My new 1876 in 50-95. Questions and upgrades.
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »
Long story short, on tuesday I went to the gun shop to get a sharps or winchester/miroku 1886 in 45-70. When I got there I found out the sharps had left a few days before. I hate it when that happens. So I went to the rack with the 86 on it. I dont really like the new miroku guns. They have the quality of a puma rossy lever gun but the price of an uberti. Nothing against pumas. I have a 92 in 45 colt. It was my first cowboy gun. I played with it for a while and talked with the counter guys. Looked at the .22s and over priced garands. I considered ordering a sharps but I dont like to buy guns I cant handle first. Thats when I noticed the new 76 on the sale rack. They put it out there because they lost the box. I almost threw my debit card at the guy.

When I got home I took it apart and cleaned it. How does uberti torque those soft screws down so hard without stripping them? I had to grind some special screw drivers to get some of them out. Does VTI sell a screw kit for these? I tried to get the link pin out of the bolt. Its stuck good. I was using an aluminum drift and a 4oz hammer. Does it only go one way? I also couldnt get the screws out of the forend cap. I want to put a sling stud on it so any tips for there removal would be great. Overall its a nice gun. The only problem is the lever moves side to side (see pics) but I think I can fix it with some peel shims. I ordered 50 cases, some 350 grain heads, and a ch4d die set. Im planing on using trail boss. How does 50-95 do at 300 yards?  My range has a gong at 300 that I like to waste ammo trying to hit. Im also in the market for a tang sight. My cases come saturday so I have a weekend of reloading ahead of me. My barrel is .515 in the groove. What are you guys using for a bullet mold? I love a good  reloading project. And all of this started when I went to buy a rifle in affordable/available 45-70.       

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My new 1876 in 50-95. Questions and upgrades.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:58:46 AM »
HELLO
YES MINE HAD ALL THE SAME ISSUES......SHIM THE LEVER, CASENITE THE SCREWS, ETC.  I USE BERINES .515 MOLD  @400 GRAINS WITH 2FF COMPRESSED BLACK POWDER. AND WITH MY TANG SIGHT  ITS DEAD ON AT 200YDS.  IT DONT HAVE ENOUGH ELEVATION TO QUITE REACH 300 YDS AND EVENTUALLY I MAY MAKE ANOTHER SIGHT STAFF. I REALLY DONT LIKE THE FEEL OF A LONG STAFF FOLDED DOWN AGAINST MY CHEEK WHEN USING THE BARREL SIGHT, AS MAY BE THE CASE FOR A CLOSE SHOT FROM OR NEAR MY HORSE. ALSO PUT A GOOD SHEARD STYLE FRONT SIGHT ON.

REGARDS
KWILLIAMS
MONTANA

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:36:28 PM »
What did you use for a shim? Im thinking of cutting up some old brass and making a washer from it. Also what rear sight are you using? My cases didnt show up saturday so I didnt do any reloading yet. I dont think Ill have a chance to shoot it until friday anyway.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:45:15 PM »

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:28:31 AM »
HELLO
I USE HARDENED SHIM STOCK OF THE REQUIRED THICKNESS, PUNCH THE HOLE WITH A SHARP FLAT BOTTOM PUNCH ON A BLOCK OF LEAD, AND THEN SHAPE AND CLEAN UP. MY REAR SIGHT CAME OFF EBAY, ITS A WINCHESTER REPRO. I MADE A NEW STAFF FOR IT TO INCORPORATE WINDAGE ADJUSTMENT AND THE CURRENT COMBO WORKS GREAT.

REGARDS
KWILLIAMS

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:36:21 PM »
HELLO
YES MINE HAD ALL THE SAME ISSUES......SHIM THE LEVER, CASENITE THE SCREWS, ETC.  I USE BERINES .515 MOLD  @400 GRAINS WITH 2FF COMPRESSED BLACK POWDER. AND WITH MY TANG SIGHT  ITS DEAD ON AT 200YDS.  IT DONT HAVE ENOUGH ELEVATION TO QUITE REACH 300 YDS AND EVENTUALLY I MAY MAKE ANOTHER SIGHT STAFF. I REALLY DONT LIKE THE FEEL OF A LONG STAFF FOLDED DOWN AGAINST MY CHEEK WHEN USING THE BARREL SIGHT, AS MAY BE THE CASE FOR A CLOSE SHOT FROM OR NEAR MY HORSE. ALSO PUT A GOOD SHEARD STYLE FRONT SIGHT ON.

REGARDS
KWILLIAMS
MONTANA

Bernies .515 mold? Tell me more (pleeeeeaaaaassseee) I'm still hunting for a good bullet for my 50/95 '76

Cheers
Clive

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:30:07 PM »
HELLO
YES IT'S BERNIES MOLD AT .515 DIA. THE "UGLY MOLD" AS I RECALL. A VERY REASONABLE MOLD FOR THE PRICE.  IT DOES CARRY A DECENT AMOUNT OF LUBE AND WITH A 1 IN 48" TWIST DOES SHOOT VERY NICE. I DO USE A THICK TABLET WAD UNDER IT.  I HAVE TRIED 5 MOLDS SO FAR ALL SMALLER THAN .515 AND TOO NO AVAIL. I DO HAVE A LYMAN 515139 AND THAT STUBBY LITTLE PELLET NEVER DID STABILIZE.  MY CURRENT COMBINATION WITH 2FF IS A SEROUS ELK/BEAR BUSTER UP TOO 200 YDS WITH THE TANG SET UP.
REGARDS
KWILLIAMS

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:41 AM »
Thanks. I currently use an LBT I fell upon. The bullet shape is spot on but the mould is a pig to use. I've got in touch with Bernie. Hopefully he has what I'm looking for - and will ship to the UK......   :)

Hold centre (and read the wind)
Clive

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »
I have been eye oogling this rifle for several years now.
I'm not sure if they make it any more. Buffalo Arms says they haven't had any Uberi's in months.
Anyway if you can't get the screws out here's a how to and a tang install write up all in one. HERE

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com