Author Topic: Which tumbler?  (Read 6640 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which tumbler?
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:39:40 PM »
Hi,

I am just getting the equipment before I begin reloading, but I am planning to get my first tumber to clean my casings ... about half and half .45 Schofield and .45-70 reloads ....

I am leaning towards an Thumbler Tumbler, and there is a package deal of some SS  Media, the Thumbler Tumbler and some Lemishine for a good price ...

Any thoughts or preferences on these products?

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Which tumbler?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:53:09 PM »
I have a Franklin Arsenal Quick-N-EZ tumbler that I use walnut shells with a bit of Franklin Arsenal brass polish it. It does a good job for me but the draw backs are it is noisy and takes some time to do. I do have to say it is the only one I've used for what it is worth.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
Thanks Joec,

Although I am kind of fixated on the Thumbler, it is good to know that you are pleased with the Franklin Arsenal Tumber,,,, I will have to look it up ....

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:27:37 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:20:24 AM »
Wadd, I had the Franklin Arsenal (blue) Quick-N-EZ tumbler I got from Amazon.com

joec is correct it's noisey, and mine developed a crack in the bowl, called amazon and they said send it back, so I did....
but for a credit towards a Thumbler Tumbler.... they are backordered , I've yet to see mine.

They are also backordered at Cabela's

where is the " package deal of some SS  Media, the Thumbler Tumbler and some Lemishine for a good price" ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:55:18 AM »
Wadd, Midway USA has them in stock....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:33:39 AM »
Yes I'm happy with the Franklin I have other than the noise level so I don't run it over nights.  ;D

The Thumbler Tumbler is a bit out of my price range at the moment but have looked at a sonic cleaner system for the future perhaps.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline TEXAS SARGE

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »
 WaddWatsonEllis

I purchased the Thumblers Tumbler High Speed Mod B  Tumbler from Stainless Tumbling Media about a month ago and love it.

I had a low speed Thumblers from the 1970's that I wore out. Got the new one for 179.95.  I had purchased  the stanless steel pins a few

months ago and they are great.  I had been using the ceramic for years, but the SS pins do a better job overall and in the primer pockets.

The people at STM are very nice to do business with, and buy the Lemi Shine at your local grocery store in the isle where they sell

dishwashing soap.  I don't use a seperator just empty the pins out of the brass in the tumbler with water in it then rinse the brass and

dry under a fan,  looks like brand new brass. Oh  and 5lbs. of pins is all you need with a big pinch of lemi shine and Dawn dishsoap with

the water just over the top of the brass.  Go to www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/ and give them a call, I couldn't be happier with the

results.  Hope this helps.

Texas Sarge

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 06:19:23 PM »
My experience with stainless media was not that good with my Lortone tumbler, so if you want to go stainless go Thumlers.
They sell this setup for a reason I guess  ;D.
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:01:18 AM »
Years ago I got a Lyman, don't remember if it was part of my tmag expert kit or an add on purchase.  Was a necessary piece of equipment in any case.  I wore it out in about 2.5 years, was shooting a lot of high power back in those days.  Replaced it in 97 with a Dillon CV500.  That lasted me until just a while ago.  After leaving it on for about 4 days it overheated.  Dillon quoted a 109 fixit price.  Took it to them, was told would only be 69 as I was dropping it off and picking it up.  The looked me up on there system.  Had to go back 3 addresses to find my record from the late 90s. 
As luck would have it when I bought my CV500 they were waranteed for life.  Dillon converted my machine to the CV750 a 500 bowl on the with the CV2000 motor.  Their supplier no longer makes the 500 motor.

Because Dillon does not manufacture the motors they will not give the lifetime dillon warantee but will fix it pretty inexpensively.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 06:01:44 AM »
Mine is a Lyman and is still working fine at 20+ years old.

Within a week of getting mine I installed an outlet with a Leviton 12 hour timer attached to it that I can plug it into. I set it for 3 to 6 hours depending on the load and dirtiness and forget about it.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »
RickK,

A great idea ... wonder why my anal mind had not already thought of that!

So once my Tax Return arrives in the mail, I forsee a quick trip to Home Depot for a Levitton timed switch ....

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
Why didnt I think of that (timer switch....)  learn something new every time I come in here.  I've had a lyman for about 24 years and it finally gave up the ghost.   I replaced it with a new one from lyman and it lasted about 10 months.  I called lyman about it and was told they are good for 12 months and you could return it to where I bought it if I had the reciept.  I asked if i could send it in or get parts and the answer was no.  I was very disappointed in the response.  So, I ended up replacing it with a frankfort.  its cheep, it works, its noisy...........and its not a lyman
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
My timer installation first happened two house and many moons ago.

The setup is a pair of 2x4 boxes with a short conduit nipple between them. One box has a timer in it and the second box has a duplex receptacle in it. I got a short A/C extension cord (3 feet), lopped the femalee end off, and wired the remainder into the timer. I screw the boxes to the wall and plug it into a close by receptacle.

I am an electrical engineer (30+ years) by trade, and an electrician prior to that, so I guess I could have done a much more classy installation but when I get home from playin' "tricity" for a living, I look for quicker solutions so I can get on with more fun stuff.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »
RickK,

That is pretty much what I was planning to do ... I might break the brass connector between the two plugs in the jack and set one side up switched through the timer, and the second plug constant power for a light or some such ... or possibly a quad plug with only one plug timed by the switch ... I dunno I haven't thought it out that far ... I still have room in the box for a 30 Amp circuit breaker to provide power, so a quad plug might work ....I'll have to wait and see it once I get it ....

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 05:22:35 AM »
15 amps will handle a tumbler.
Mathew 5.9

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 07:36:37 AM »
mechanical timer switches are getting hard to find.  They are way simpler to set than an electronic one though. Here is one that should do the job:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA05W0194717&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle3&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle3-_-Surveillance+-+Home+Automation-_-Intermatic-_-9SIA05W0194717

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 07:17:37 PM »
I have a RCBS got it witha rebate and on sale. It's pretty quiet for what it does. Some of the less expensive one work and last as long as the more expensive but they are louder.
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »
Poppa et al,

I ended up buying a Thumbler Tumbler and SS media/bottle of Lemishine from  http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/ ...and I cleaned only once so far ... some very dirty .45-70 that had sat with the black powder on it for months ... and it came out looking as if it was from the factory ...

Hint: I found if I put the water through a Meliitta style filter, the filter would hold any media that would exit with the water .... *S*

We won't discuss how I found that out .... *S*

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com