Author Topic: Does a USFA gun need an action job  (Read 6992 times)

Offline wdbarbe

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Does a USFA gun need an action job
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »
Got two Doug Turnbull finished single actions coming and wondered if these are going to need an action job?  If so, who is the best? I heard Long Hunter was really good.
Thanks

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Does a USFA gun need an action job
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:44:45 AM »
Yes.  They are beautiful guns but have typical factory actions with very heavy springs.  Lots of people can tune up a Colt type action.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:45:23 AM »
If they are coming directly from Turnbull then maybe not.  If they are coming from USFA then maybe so.  In any event, I would wait until they arrive and see if you like them just the way they are before you spend money for an action job you may not even need.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:45:36 AM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 06:56:03 AM »
Longhunter does an outstanding action job.  I have 4 USFA's from him.  And he is a really nice person to deal with.  You can't go wrong dealing with Jim.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
Before you invest in an action job, try changing the main spring and the trigger/bolt spring yourself.  I use the Wolff reduced power main spring and the Heinie wire trigger/bolt spring in my USFA's and have found that they lighten up the action considerably.  Apart from changing out the springs, I have never needed an action job done on any of my USFA SAA's.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 01:26:06 PM »
Before you invest in an action job, try changing the main spring and the trigger/bolt spring yourself.  I use the Wolff reduced power main spring and the Heinie wire trigger/bolt spring in my USFA's and have found that they lighten up the action considerably.  Apart from changing out the springs, I have never needed an action job done on any of my USFA SAA's.

+1 on the spring kit.  Two or three years ago Davidson's had a table of Double Eagles at the SASS convention.  I was talking to the guy and told him the actions were very stiff and that a good set of springs would help sell the things.  He walked across the aisle, purchased a couple of spring kits and dropped them in.  Incredible difference just changing the springs.  I was all set to buy a pair, but SASS ruled the Bisley hammer in the non-Bisley frame illegal.

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »
Howdy USFAers,

As a glacially slow, duelist, I'd suggest you shoot the guns before you do any work. I started about 5 years ago with a pair of stock from the factory Rodeos. I've never felt they needed any work. In fact, I'm not partial to some of the super soft springs that some folks like to install. They feel mushy and there's not enough feedback during the cycle for me.

Try the guns and see how you like them. Make your own decision based on how they perform for you.

Reverend Chase

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »
Howdy USFAers,

As a glacially slow, duelist, I'd suggest you shoot the guns before you do any work. I started about 5 years ago with a pair of stock from the factory Rodeos. I've never felt they needed any work. In fact, I'm not partial to some of the super soft springs that some folks like to install. They feel mushy and there's not enough feedback during the cycle for me.

Try the guns and see how you like them. Make your own decision based on how they perform for you.

Reverend Chase

Could be one of the reasons you are glacially slow :D.  Trying to go fast as a duelist and having a stiff hammer spring. Don't go hand in hand.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 05:40:40 PM »
I don't know about current Turnbull Open Range revolvers but I have two of the Turnbull Cowboy Classic USFA guns, which preceded the Open Range guns. Neither of mine feel like they have had any action work done on them. It depends on what you mean by "need". There's a lot of things I want but do not need. I have guns I've never fired, that I've had action jobs done on-go figure.
I do agree with the idea of trying a spring kit first. I recently bought and antiqued a Uberti Hombre . I put a Wolff spring kit in it, simple to do, and it did make a big difference. When I do get action work, I usually use Bob James, www.jamesguns.com
He is one of the best at it, if not THE best and is a super nice individual. Problem with sending guns off these days is the postage both ways usually exceeds the cost of the action job.

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
Howdy Pettifogger,

I take your point, but I would say that the factory springs on my Rodeos are far from stiff. Maybe I got an extra good pair of sixguns. They are consecutively serial numbered and function identically. As I said anything lighter feels mushy, lacking any tactile feed back. I'm not about to blame a pair of fine sixguns for my lack of speed. I love shooting them and I'm happy to come in midpack with a bunch of "two-handers". I still think that someone should try their guns before they have them slickered.

Reverend Chase

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »
I had/have 4 USFA that I shoot, Doug Turnbull, PreWar, Henry Nettleton, and a Custer Battlefield.  All needed springs changed and the Doug Turnbull had the clunkiest action of any SA I have owned.  The Custer Battlefield would not fire consistantly with Wolff Springs.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 12:40:03 PM »
They need springs but not action jobs. IMHO, there's nothing "typical" about a USFA's action. They are finished as well on the inside as the outside.
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com