Author Topic: Duplex load issue  (Read 1840 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Duplex load issue
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
Having had great success with a 50-70 duplex load that consisted of 60 FFg/5 SR4759 in both my Shiloh carbine and Military Rifle, I loaded up a batch with 5 more grs FFg and the 5 grs 4759. More is better, right? Wrong!

It required more compression (yes, I use a compression die), and that distorted the cases to where one brand would not chamber in the current-made carbine. The  chamber of the MR accepts anything I feed it.

Recoil was definitely more noticeable, and it was very clean burning, but accuracy in both dropped dramatically. I'm going back to my original load. Hot rodding a 50-70 doesn't work.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Duplex load issue
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:17:17 PM »
If you still want to get a clean burn on your 50-70, I suggest that you use 4Fg in place of your 4759 and light compression.  You should get the same clean burn without the punishment and your accuracy may improve.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
I've had no problems with a duplex load using 60 grs/5-SR4759 or 65 grs 100% BP. Recoil with either is quite acceptable. Another load I found recommended 5 grs 5744 instead of 4759. Some use 3031.

I get a longer string of shots without the need to wipe the bore with the duplex. T'other day, I fired a few rds loaded with 28 grs 5744 after shooting several BP loads and the bore looked great!

There's more than one way to skin a cat or load a 50-70, that's fer shure ....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:51:32 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com