Author Topic: *** FOR SALE *** Burnside Spencer - Photos Added.  (Read 4166 times)

Offline SAndlapper SC

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
*** FOR SALE *** Burnside Spencer - Photos Added.
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
Hey guys. I was directed here by a member from another forum. I have acquired an original Spencer and have NO idea what I have. I have been on line in several places and gotten no place. Figured I'd ask some experts. I'd like to know just what caliber it is and everything you folks might know about this one.
First time here so I'll do my best to post some pics.
It is marked:

"U.S. Model 1865"
 "Spencer Repeating Rifle"
  "Pat'd March 6 1860"  
  "Manuf'D At Prov. R.I."
  " By Burnside Rifle Co."
Serial # 22675

Bore is bright with a few minor pits. Finish is good, very few pits, barrel is brown, receiver still has some finish. Hope you can tell me more about it and if you think its worth any thing. Here is some pics   ...  I hope.

:P

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: New guy with a original Spencer. What have I got.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »
Hi Sandlapper SC,

You have a Burnside Spencer, obviously.  Most probably was sold from the US Government stocks.  Never used in Civil War; maybe went out West with civilians, or was sold overseas.  The following page is from the Spencer "bible" by Roy M. Marcot:

Hope this helps.  Other SSS members will also offer their opinions I'm sure.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:45:08 PM »
It is 56-50 caliber, rather than the 56-56 of the 1860 Models used in the Civil War.  You will need to get a centerfire breech block, some dies, some brass from Buffalo Arms, and some .520 diameter bullets.  It is not the same round that the Arni sport 56-50 uses.  They are a .512 diameter bullet and a slightly different case than your original.  Check the frequently asked questions information thread towards the top of this forum.  Congrats, should be a great shooter once you get a center-fire breech block for it.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

Re: *** FOR SALE *** Burnside Spencer - Photos Added.
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:23:30 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »
The Burnside-built Spencers were indeed .56-.50 Spencer rimfire. Lest the cartridge nomenclature confuse you, the numbers refer to the nominal outside diameter of the case just ahead of the rim and at the case mouth. Actually, the correct nomenclature is Spencer Repeating Rifle (Carbine), cal. .50.  The bullet diameters varied from .515 to .520" depending on the manufacturer of the ammo.  The advantage of the new cartridge design was/is that the bullet lubrication is inside the case, whereas the .56-56  round used in the M1860 Spencers were outside-lubed "heel" bullets with the bullet diameter outside the case about the same as the case itself at the mouth of the case.

Don't get discouraged by the fact that the M1865 Spencers missed the Civil War.  A number of the cavalry units were armed with either.  Some companies of the 7th Cav, for instance, were armed with the M1860 and some with the M1865! Imagine the logistics problems that created!  In point of fact, you can load a .56-50 round in a M1860 and with softer bullets and black powder, the bullet might "slug up" to fill the larger bore, though more probably the bullet might rattle down the barrel.  (Spencers were not regarded for their accuracy, but I'd bet that rep was due to using the smaller diameter ammo in the larger bore!  ::) )  While it is true that Spencers were eventually surplussed off, I'd bet this one saw action in the Indian Wars campaigns.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
...and if you are up to paying the price, the book by Marcot is a great reference, and a fun read

Offline SAndlapper SC

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
The owner has told me to sell it. I have tried several times today to list it with a pic. It will look as if it is loading for about 15 minutes and come back with an error page. If some one will tell me what I am doing wrong I'll post it in the proper forum. I'd really like to sell it here rather than try in another site.
 ???

The selling price is $2700.00.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com