Author Topic: The Movie "Josey Wales"  (Read 28102 times)

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Movie "Josey Wales"
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
One of the best westerns and a great movie all around.   While none of the actors, other than Bottoms are really the right age.   Fletcher was a real person, he rode with Bloody Bill and young Jesse James.  He did end up in Texas after the war, minus an arm.   I believe he opened a mill.   Bloody Bill was only about 24 when he was beheaded by the Yankees in Richmond Missouri (about 6 days after he killed my wife's G.G. grandfather).    I am in that area of the country, and one has to learn to sing Dixie or the Battle Hymn of the Republic with equal enthusiasm!

IIRC the biography I read on Wild Bill Hickok reported that the ACW continued to be fought on an unofficial basis in the Missouri area for sometime after Appomatox. I seem to remember reading something about returning Union and Confederate Vets trying to "settle scores" for quite a while afterwards. Heard anything about that?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
IIRC the biography I read on Wild Bill Hickok reported that the ACW continued to be fought on an unofficial basis in the Missouri area for sometime after Appomatox. I seem to remember reading something about returning Union and Confederate Vets trying to "settle scores" for quite a while afterwards. Heard anything about that? Best Wishes,
Bruce

I have read an account of the family of my nephews wife, from the Bootheel area; Five adult males entered the ACW as Missouri Militia cavalry until the Federals disbanded them. Then they volunteered for service in the southern cavalry. When the internal civil war heated up they returned as guerrillas. By the end of the war three survived to lay down their arms, but NONE made it home!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2015, 09:46:50 PM »
Well, I believe Jesse James was shot while riding in to surrender.  As such, he was probably not present at the liberty bank robbery.   I believe a lot of that went on here.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 07:24:10 PM »

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 07:41:05 AM »
My 2nd great grandfather was conscripted into the Confederate Army in Missouri. He was told to join or be shot. He was captured and sent to the Union prison in Alton, Il. By the time his wife secured his release he had died.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 06:46:55 AM »
Alton was a rough area during the war.  There was a riot or two there as I recall and as Andersonville and Camp Douglas showed, neither side knew what to do with a prisoner of war. 

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2015, 02:32:33 PM »
I sorta got the impression that after the Prisoner Exchange Policy was done away with
POW camps like Douglas and Andersonville simply became "execution by another means". Just sayin...

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
One of the best westerns and a great movie all around.   While none of the actors, other than Bottoms are really the right age.   Fletcher was a real person, he rode with Bloody Bill and young Jesse James.  He did end up in Texas after the war, minus an arm.   I believe he opened a mill.   Bloody Bill was only about 24 when he was beheaded by the Yankees in Richmond Missouri (about 6 days after he killed my wife's G.G. grandfather).    I am in that area of the country, and one has to learn to sing Dixie or the Battle Hymn of the Republic with equal enthusiasm!
I hear...not to say that I know that you can get away with Dixie or the Battle Hymn, but down South, do NOT whistle, play or sing, "Marching Through Georgia"! That can get you into all sorts of trouble!  ::)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2015, 06:09:42 PM »
Gosh.
I wonder why that would be?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 04:12:55 PM »
...probably for the same reason you won't find "Sherman Avenue" in Atlanta. ::)

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com