Author Topic: Size of bandanas  (Read 33986 times)

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Size of bandanas
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
We think of bandanas as being about 33- 36 inches square but when I look at period photos, they look a little smaller. It seems to be later, maybe the late nineties, that they get to that full size.I'm no expert. What do pards think?
Skeet

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Size of bandanas
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:34:29 PM »
Is that a bandana in your pocket or are you just glad to see me.
  ;D  8) ;D
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Astute observation and I'd agree that most images seen from our era suggest a smaller treatment than the "wild rag"  seen today. Ward, in his excellent book, describes "bandanas" as neck scarves, handkerchiefs, and even mufflers but does not use the word bandana. Lindmer and Mount treat the subject briefly and though described under the title "bandana" fail to provide any historical use of the word and again you see the term handkerchief. The point is that may be all they were and suggests a smaller size than the 30 iinch rag we see today. Looking at the images in Cowboy by John Egen which shows images from 1903 you see a standard handkerchief size and a larger version on cowboys actually in the field. All writers describe the functionality of such a garment.

By the turn of the century  women were riding in rodeo's and wild west shows were popular, both set a standard for cowboys. Images from them often show large neck scarfs. There are those that suggest that women set the example for ten gallon hats (Tom Mix style) that were then copied by men, and they may have had a significant influence on neck wear also.

But your point is well taken and from the images available common appearance says that if we portray an early drover we should probably be wearing a "handkerchief" or only slightly larger sized neck scarf. Probably should avoid the use of the term bandana and certainly wild rag. At least that is true of the central and northern plains cowboy. I know little of the border and Californio culture.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:10:02 PM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:38:29 PM »
While reading about Buffalo Bill and his 'Wild West' I came across something that makes sense, kinda. It seems that Bill really wanted his Cowboys to stand out, he put'm in over sized hats and such so that the crowds could better see their attire. The more popular the 'Wild West' got the more people, including real Cowboys, expected Cowboys to dress like Bill's Cowboy. While some Cowboys had always worn the bigger hats and such, now more and more did wanting to look like the Wild West Hero that Bill was pushing.
In Law Enforcement I saw the same thing on occasion. You'd be surprised at the number of Detective/Investigators started dressing like Don Johnson while 'Miami Vice' was on or even how many Cops bought .44s when Dirty Harry was popular. Sometimes reality is greatly affected by fantasy.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:33:07 AM »
Thanks for the interesting responses. I have a 36-incher and that has a dude cowboy look from the early twentieth century. Maybe 25 inches square (or so)would be more old time.
And where did the term 'wild rag' come from? I don't think it was around even thirty years ago....
'Bandana' apparently is from the Hindi word 'badhnu' which is a way of dyeing. India had a flourishing cotton industry in the nineteenth century, exporting to the west.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:03:02 AM »
Kerchief comes from a French word meaning head cover it has roots to the 16th Century.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 07:33:45 AM »
Thanks, Major.
I've just finished (since my last post) sewing a bandana that is just under 26" square. When knotted it seems much more like the size in old time photos. It certainly couldn't be any bigger than 26.
Mind you, I'm a skinny guy with a 15.5" neck.....

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 01:03:50 PM »
Been wearin' "wild rags "for well over thirty years. They were wild rags then and beyond, also neckerchiefs and scarfs. some were 38' and up especially the silk variety. It takes a big one to wear properly in the winter especially if you have an 18" neck like me.
The old Boy Scout neckerchiefs are a carry over from the cowboys and served many purposes.
I wear them almost daily in the winter because silk is a good insulator, in the summer its cotton to soak up the sweat or to wet down  and cool off . But for playing cowboy I guess you can call 'em what you want and wear what you want,it doesnt matter.
 Just remember that silk is for Show and cotton is for blow.

Offline Ima Sure Shot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 04:28:42 PM »
I have seen several photos of women of the time in headscarves.   Most think they all wore fancy hats.  I have often thought the "wild rags" of today were the size of the silk headscarves of my youth.  There is a photo somewhere of the current queen of England not to long ago wearing a headscarf.  Lots of photos of ladies from the "Old Country" at Ellis Island with head scarves.  My point being, I always thought the men might have used mothers or sisters or wifes headscarfs to keep out the dust, keep in the heat and so forth.  A small hankerchief won't go under your chin and tie very well if it is over your head. and in winter a headscarf will tie on a cowboy hat. Celeste

Offline Ima Sure Shot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »
I have a copy of an 1897 Sear and Roebuck Catalogue on page 225 there are hadkerchiefs ofne is listed as," Men's Handkerchiefs. Genuine Martha Washington Turkey Red Handkerchiefs these are the Old Reliable, Fast Colored Standard Quality Goods."  It then goes on to state they come in

18x17 inches;per doz..... $0.43
 21x20 inches; per doz.....    .55
 24x23 inches; per doz.....    .65
 28x26 inches; per doz.....    .90

So I guess it depends on how rich a cowboy was when he ordered as to what size.  As to linen and silk most of those just say,"Full" size or some such.

On page 226 there is a close out sale each an odd lott of mens mufflers at $0.23 no size given and then there is ,"Pure Silk Mufflers" for ladies or gentlemen, handsome broacaded patterns, of pure silk, in a variety of designs; size 28x28.
Each............................................................... $0.80

hope this helps.Celeste

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
Good info, Ima. Thanks for posting.

Offline Ima Sure Shot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
You are welcome.  Excuse my typing.  My computer keys are sticking . Celeste

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 01:36:43 AM »
I reckon most cowboys got silk scarves from thier gals and the gals wore big ones in case of wind to cover thier hats and tie them down,also to cover the hair doo in case of rain,just like today the gals had better stuff than the fellers and they would have more than one so when her cowboy went on the long traildrive she would at least give him one with the smell of parfume,and when he gave it back it smelled of sweat,creek water,cow mynuer,coffe or whatever else there was on the trail
 But i imagine it had to be of a good size cuase in the wind the cowboy without a string would use the scarf to tie his hat down.Scout would have to have a big one to wave standing far off to signal injuns,water or camp here..Now if he found a saloon,he would just stick it in the ground,turn and go ahade on----------------------------------> ;D DIAMOND BACK
                                                                                                                                            SALOON
                                                                                                                                       name your poison
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 12:23:05 AM »
Do not know what the neck scarf/bandanna/handkerchief size was in the 1880s or what would be considered PC.  Here is a picture of a cowboy in Wyoming area ca1880s... his bandanna/neck scarf or whatever you want to call it, does not look like a small scarf, looks fairly large too me based on the way he is wearing it.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 12:39:17 AM »
35x35 :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
A work in progress.

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 05:02:26 AM »
Harley, James and Clicker - you're absolutely right - large bandanas were often seen in the west. But smaller ones were often seen in the early days as well, compared with a uniformly larger size later.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »
Skeeter et al,

I think that it is a relative thing ... that the bandana should be able to cover the cowboy's face to protect against windstorms ... I personally have a 17 1/2 to 18" neck and need the largest bandana around to reach around my neck .... I mean I can and have worn the small size bandanna,  but it would have never fit around my face ...

Just my $0.02 ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »
Sorta depends on how big of a nose ya got, and how much of a bull neck, doesn't it?  ;D
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
Trailrider,

To my way of thinking ... I have had the cheap cotton (read small) bandanas ... and on an 18 " neck, there was just barely enough left over for a square knot; and no room for a slide ... now on the bigger ones, I can either tie it or use a slide with it ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com