Author Topic: New Smoker.....  (Read 10971 times)

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Smoker.....
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:25:31 PM »
My Pards I finally bought myself a smoker.........I had researched the subject with some intensity.......Considered all the possible sources of heat....Wood, Gas, Triz...........Sizes......Believe you me, you can spend $30,000+ on a smoker if you want to go big time..
You can also build them for your back yard, Del even sent me some technical drawings several years ago..............

Ya know......When y'all start to get older, ya start to do less, and y'all eat less...... I certainly don't eat the way I did when I was working construction every day...........If TYQ and I go out for a burger, I never finish the whole thing any more, it's just too much.......

So I bought a small upright Appx....3' x 18" x 18"......Gots three shelves for smoking.......A SS pan at the bottom for woodchips, has a cool temp monitoring device, probe in the smoker, monitor in my pocket in the den........... Masterbuilt is the manufacture..........

My first mission will be Pastrami..........After that Salmon and other local fishs..........Chickens and every other critter I can stuff in there......I think it will be a while just getting Pastrami right.................A new era is comming upon  me........Been wanting to do this for quite a spell, and look forward to producing some taste sensations for my little Yard Queen..............
I don't know why I waited so long to get myself a new little smoker............
NRA Endowment, Instructor
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New Smoker.....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »
If you're a hunter you'll love your smoker for game. My Son loves to use his and has turned out some excellent venison. I'm hoping to kill a Turkey next week and get him to smoke the whole thing. BTW, smoking a small shark whole is really good eating.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »
Read up about reverse searing steaks then try getting you a few ribeyes and putting them on the smoker at about 200 or lower if you can even until internal temp is about 210.  Then you can either finish them off that day with a nice reverse sear or they freeze really nice and you take them out of the freezer and let them thaw then throw them on a how grill to sear them or even in a hot skillet.  They still have a nice smokey flavor because of the nice smoke job you put on them.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:37:20 AM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
what no pictures?

Ms Cammie do you brine them first? With what?
Mathew 5.9

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
No I didn't brine them, just a little salt and pepper.  I'm a steak purist.  Sometimes I buy a piece of sirloin if I have a marinade I want to try out.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
Another thing that I have started doing with my steaks is dry aging them in the fridge for a few days.  It seems to concentrate the flavor, tenderize the meat and kind of crusts over the meat.  I put them on a rack like you see in the first picture which sits down in an empty glass casserole dish.  You can't age a cut steak as long as you can a whole rib roast but you can leave them for quite a few days.  They'll start getting more and more red and the outside will dry out slightly.  You'll lose a little of the steaks weight and size too but it's really worth it for the intensity of the flavor that you get from them.
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »
Nope, no pictures yet...It's going to arrive Friday or Monday....Then I'll get a picture up LR........

CE, that sounds like a great way to do up some steaks, and I will certainly give it a go.....I'm going to have to come up with a gimick, some way to incorporate noodles and smoke, perhaps smoked meat or fish added to noodles...My TYQ is a noodle girl....I think she'd put noodles on ice cream...................... ;D   Yup, ageing a steak is great thing to do to them. Most of the world's best steak houses have their own aging room right in the restaurant.......What you loose in weight, you do gain in flavor, that's for sure...........

SF, my hunting days are most probably done. I can't get through 5 or 6 stages any more with our sitting down for a spell between stages.....45 years in the trades has just about burned this ol body to ashes....I will most probably be one of those folks, like in the old saying, who slides into Heaven all busted and beat, and declare to St. Pete....."Wow, what a ride"....... ;D

I'm looking forward to doing up a Salmon this summer. This will give me a good reason to go fishing out on Lake Michigan..
There are some mighty nifty Coho's in that pond.......
I will make TYQ some beef ribs and pork ribs much sooner then any Coho I might catch......

Thanks for the good tips Pards and Pardettes, I haven't smoked anything since I sold my boat in 2000. Gave my old smoker to one of the neighbors.....His kids were little and they loved smoked foods......

Those steak pictures sure look good.  ;D

Perhaps I'll get inspired to go and sit on the end of my pier this summer and catch a few local fishys............

I'm going to have to research how to properly do up a briscuit into a Pastrami............

Thanks Folks........
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 03:15:28 PM »
Before you do salmon, check out Alton Brown's good eats episode on smoking salmon (the one on bacon is good too.).   I have one of those little round smokers that looks like R2D2.  After hitting it with the truck in the garage a time or too, it looks like R2 has taken a lazer blast or two.   I will look up my notes on salmon too.   

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:34:21 PM »
Yup CE, I do believe your right about the corned beef becomming a Pastrami....And, I will certainly check out those two links you put up.......Thank You...... ;D......
I guess I want to push myself as I intend to purchase a Briscuit and do all the steps........

MO.......Alton Brown certainly is one to listen to. He's like The Rocket Scientist of cookin......... ;D

I'm watching Paula Dean's cooking show right now, she has Liza Minelli, Judy Garland's daughter as her guest, cooking helper............
Them two are a scream together........Like Forrest would say......"Peas and Carrots"...... ;D

CE........Where ever did "The Wireman" go? I haven't seen him post in a very long spell, anywhere, at all...........I'm only asking because your both from the same neck of the woods, and I thought perhaps you had some information..........I know he was having a rough time finding enough work....We're in the same Biz he and I........I miss BS'n with him.......If I'm into an area nobody want's to discuss just ignore me.............But I would like to know if that boy is still alive............
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »
Yep Wireman is still kickn'.  Last I heard though the only access that he has is via phone and that didn't always work well for him or something along those lines.  I miss him too.  He's a nut.  :)
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »
Thanks CE......I bookmarked that rundown of how to make corned beef...........I will use that for sure.............

Wireman, a good pard for sure, somebody to ride the river with..............Like I said, but for the grace of God, there go I...........
I retired 4 years ago, and am not looking for a job to keep us fed........I thank the Good Lord every morning when I wake that I'm not in the job market...........I know more sad storys of folks who don't deserve it, who are suffering in troubled times these days........
Damn sad..............It takes the fun right out of life to know friends are suffering..............

NOVEMBER...........Remember in November your opinion will be counted........ ;
We get it..or we don't........

Lord above, help us through these troubled times when friends are suffering from lack of work to keep the bills paid and familys fed.
Let the eyes of all our neighbors be opened to see the truth about our leadership, to see what is the chaf, and what is the wheat......
Give them enlightment enough to see what must be done to save our fair nation.......If not this time Dear Lord, it dosen't much look like there will be another chance to save our nation from destruction..........
Amen...........
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »
I keep getting shipping updates from Amazon .com.............
My smoker has shipped.......Fri or Mon.......I'm hoping for friday......
This will be an experiance I've been looking forward to.........
Now as an adult, with wishes of my own, and things I want to smoke............
I am looking so forward to this little cooker, I feel like the little boy waiting for his train around the tree............
I know it's silly to feel this way............Well, I don't seem to be able to help it..............
I am looking forwad to smoking some goodies for my Gal and myself...........She's not exactly taken with my purchase...........
I got the whole retired and fixed income speach from her............She's right of course, and I'm being extravagant.............
I NEED some smoked Salmon..........I NEED some Pastrami...........I will cook her up some tasty vittles, and win her heart over to this being a very good thing.............
Heck, how much woodchips and Triz can this little thing consume.......I'm thinking not enough to change the world...........
I an looking so forward to it's delivery............I even got the glass door so's I can watch my goodies smoke with out opening the door and loosing all my smoke..........
TYQ went downtown to visit with our little Grandson today......I still have some kind of chest infection, I see my Doc Friday....I don't want to give the baby none of my bugs.............So's I'm Batchenin it today......I stuck A Gerodano's frozen pizza in the oven, I'm getting kinda hungry.............The little varmit is 4 months old as of now.......He is a cutie, very aware of his suroundings.......

I took anti-biotics for most of December........no change...........I took anti-biotics for most of February...........I just can' shake this bug
I'll see my Doc Friday to get the results of an extensive blood test to see what exactly is my problem................
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 03:29:02 PM »
Oh wow, I hope they find out what's wrong this time and can get you on the right meds to get this cleared up for you.

Take lost of pictures of the all the goodies that you smoke and write down the techniques so you can share them with us.  I've been blogging some of my stuff, when I can remember it.

http://grillandgun.com/wordpress/?cat=6
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »
CE, I will certainly do all of that..........Pictures and methods............
That Prime rib roast I made for my total family.........We had Christmas at B and S inlaws.......year before last...........
I wish I would have gotten some of the little ones, I'm talking 2 1/2 to 3' folks, my great nieces and nephews running around the house, and chewing on pieces of Prime Rib Roast..............The kids had all eaten, they were done and playing.......I cut up pieces of Prime Rib.....1/2" x 1/2" x 3"........perfect size for little bitty hands...........My niece Coleene said to me, "Uncle Joe, all the kids would rather have those little pieces of prime rib then desert............I cut some more up for the big people, and they ate them all up........
I don't need accolades, don't need an attaboy, just need to see all them little people chewing on my Prime Rib Roast long past dinner time.......So, my little great niece Drew jumped into my lap, still chewing on her piece of Prime Rib......"Uncle Joe, does Aunty Laurey
buy "Cuties" for you, you would like them"...........I told her no , but I would ask Aunty Laurie to get some soon................I asked TYQ later, what is a "Cutie"      It's an Orange ya big goof......I'll get you some..........She did and they are wonderful.......Easy to peal oranges with no seeds.......Try some "Cuties" my Pards, they are very good and highly recomended by my great niece Drew........
I think that was her way to thank me for the great Prime Rib kid size pieces I cut up......She let me in on her favorite oranges.....
She is going to be a very good woman some day, she's a terrific kid today....And just cute as a button.......My nephew Jason is a good looking guy, his wife Colleen looks like the kid in the Fiat commercials with the black and orange dress.....Drew is Princess material.....

What does it all mean, How does it all measure?.......I told myself not to spice up the Prime Rib so's the kids wouldn't like it, I didn't....
The very fact that them little ones wanted to chew on pieces of my roast for desert rather then all the cakes and confections, just elevated my opinion of me, .......to Culinary Rock Star..............Talk about a Warm Fuzzy....................
I made a 22lb Prime Rib, plenty and then some to send everyone home with leftovers........I made damn sure all the young Moms had plenty of leftovers to feed their kids with for the next few days.................On the drive home.......TYQ says to me......Your roast was a hit kid.......You blew all the girls out of the water........They loved it, but, are a bit jealous....................
Collene my niece helped her daughter Drew compose an E-Mail to me.....Uncle Joe what are you going to make for Easter?
I don't know yet, but, it's going to have to be world shaking............. ;D
I told her I would make something good........

My niece Angie who's hubby is a Cop E-Mailed me and told me I'm making all the girls look bad with my fancy cooking......
I burst out laughing and mailed her back....Ang, I'm retired, I can watch all the cooking channel shows I wish......I watch them all most times.......
Her son Cameron had a piece of roast in his fist the whole evening........... ;D

So..........it doesn't have to be fancy.......Kids don't understand fancy.......They do understand good....................
I would do whatever it takes to fill them little tummys with good stuff.............. ;D
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 08:54:55 AM »
Wait until they have had it smoked then seared!! ;D
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
I was just going to put up a picture, but this is much better..........
It came today, I assembled it, not much assembly..........1/2 hour or so.......
They say I should wipe it down inside and out, stoke it up with wood chips, then run it to 250deg for 3 hours or so............
That will be tomorrow's mission........

FYI......It seems to be built well, all SS....The roasting racks are chromed

http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod-smokers-digital.html
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »
Looks nice, is that an electric smoker?

these really intrigue me  http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod-bboilfree.html
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »
Yup CE, it 110Volt........My alternate choice would have been Propane........It was a tough call deciding whether I wanted to fuel it with Propane or Triz.....If I had thought that I might have taken it along in the motorhome once in a while, I probably would have went with propane......But, in reality when I park the motorhome for a spell at a fun spot, I always have Water, Sewer and Triz...
I could still take this smoker with if I choose........ I might have gone a bit overboard with the glass door and electronic controls, but no matter where I'm at in the house or yard, I can look at the little hand held and see what the temp in the smoker is.....           
My Bar-B-Cue is propane heated........I have lots of 15lb propane bottles in the garage which work in both my Q or the motorhome........Last winter I parked in one campground for three months......After that kind of time your dug in like a Chigger, you really don't want to pack everything up again and drive to a propane station to fill up the house tank in the motorhome.....I got several 15lb bottles, some clever little brass thingys and a hose, I just ran the motorhome off the two 15lb bottles, and used the house tank for emergencys.... They only charged me $12.00 to fill up a 15lb bottle in Fla.......I would just take her little HHR, and the bottles and get them filled.......
Not too bad at all.....Besides, right where I want to keep the smoker, which would be right near my Q, I have a 110V receptacle on the outside of the house, under a covered veranda..The only other thing I want to get is a table to put the smoker up on...........
I did my Bicycle ride this morning while TYQ was messing with her yard......I got back before she was finished...Put my bike away. made us both coffees, and invited her to come and sit by the river for a spell..............I let her relax from her yard work and have some of her coffee......Then I asked her........Are you upset that I bought a smoker, I know it was expensive............Quiet Boy.....
In a bit she admitted, "No, I'm not upset, I'm rather looking forward to what your going to cook up in that thing....It was far less expensive then one of your firearm purchases...........I was very happy to hear that she has a positive view of my new toy....And since she has always done the bills and kept the checkbook straight, I have to ask whether I'm Pushin It............Heck, now that I'm retired I don't spend anywhere near as much as I did when I was working.........And she admitted that $350.00 for the smoker wasn't a big deal...........
I would never admit that I peek, but when I use my cash station card, I can see what's in my checking and savings.......... ;D
I'm pretty conservative in most instances.......That girl has me beat by a mile.......... ;D
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com