Author Topic: Fired up the new ditch oven  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Eloy Santa Cruz

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fired up the new ditch oven
« on: March 11, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
I broke in my new dutch oven last night. I seasoned it the night before even though Lodge says you can use out of the box. I had never cooked in a dutch oven before and it was a sucessful learning experience. I decided to do a roast. I started with a 3 1/2 lb roast seasoned with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper. Next I seared the meat in olive oil, added 4 cloves chopped garlic and cabernet wine. then I added onions, sliced mushrooms and baby carrots. Cooked a little over two hours, flipping the meat every half hour. I turned the oven 1/4 turn counter clockwise and the lid 1/4 turn clockwise every 15 min. Everything turned out wonderful and my wife loved it. I was surprised at how fast and how much I went through coals.
My monikor comes from my family's former ranch Santa Cruz Farms located outside Eloy, Arizona. The Santa Cruz river runs through the land.
    " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them" ---John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Fired up the new ditch oven
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »
I really don't know much about Cast Iron cook ware, that's a world unto it's own.......I do have ample experiance indeed of scrubbing my Mom's Black Iron frypans and such........A Georgia Girl always makes chicken in a Black Iron Skillet..............
The "Official" moderator of this thread is a Black Iron Guru...........But, he's busy trying to get a new home to the liveable level, got his hands full right now, don't post much................
I'm very happy that your meal turned out so well...........See, it ain't all that tough.............. ;D

I remember my Mom getting a crust on her chicken in a black iron pan, that that's all I wanted to chew on, the burned parts...........
It's a shame I haven't any black iron cookware........well, what I have is ceramic coated..........it's different..............
NRA Endowment, Instructor
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline FenceFighter

• Rancher, Miner, Grand Pistoleer
  • Citizen
  • Don't work against yourself. Keep your path clear,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 07:51:51 PM »
 Surprising just how many Dutch Oven dinner recipes start out, just the way you did yours. I'd toss a few red pepper flakes in with the oil and garlic, but I do that with most everything I cook.  Scrubbing out those black iron pots can get a fella a passel of trouble in these parts. Years ago my pard brought a cast iron skillet along on our annual  Steelhead fishing trip. I started to make the mistake of getting soap and water on that skillet, and he liked to have a conniption fit. Seems his wife had made it clear he wasn't to come home, if that skillet didn't come back as seasoned as it left. Well I've run into quite a few practitioners of the cast iron arts that feel the same, and these days, I tend to agree with them. A proper seasoning in the first place and a swipe with paper towels thereafter, is about all that should be needed. I cheat a little and use period correct foil where possible. I mostly bake bread and biscuits in my kettles, and can't remember cooking anything sweet in them, but intend to try upside down cake and scones. I went on a several days rafting trip, where the cooks turned out the greatest cakes, breakfast rolls and pies in their Dutch ovens. Course everything tastes better outdoors & 100 miles away from civilization.
                                                Cordially,
                                                                Fence
"Don't Tolerate the Intolerable. If you do, you run the risk of loosing everything you love and own."
 ---Kid Gallant

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:01:20 PM »

Offline Eloy Santa Cruz

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:13:39 PM »
Hey guys. Did another chuck roast this weekend. It went alot smoother now that I have an idea what to expect. I tweeked the ingrediants a little - adding a little more of this, a little less of that. The red pepper flakes in the garlic is something I definitly want to try. I'm going to start experimenting with stews and chili. Clean up was a little easier this time, just rinsed the oven in very hot water and a little scrubbing with a brush. After drying thoroughly, I applied a light coat of olive oil inside and out. I feel this oven will only get better with age. I've got some ideas for cobbelers and want to get a 12" 6 qt. for baking. The dessert can start baking while dinner is finishing cooking.
My monikor comes from my family's former ranch Santa Cruz Farms located outside Eloy, Arizona. The Santa Cruz river runs through the land.
    " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them" ---John Wayne in "The Shootist"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com