Author Topic: Re-Priming Tools  (Read 7501 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re-Priming Tools
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »
Hi,

Okay... got my reloader, got my scale, got my powder tube setup ... gonna get a Thumbler when I get an excellent deal ... but what is the favorite tool for putting primers into place?

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
Re: Re-Priming Tools
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »
I have been using an RCBS hand-primer since 1998.  It uses the same shell-holders that come with my Lee Die sets.  If you turn it upside down the ram pin will fall out, but thus far when that has happened I've always been able to find it  :)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »
Abilene,

As klutzy as I am, it sound like a part to buy a couple of exrta when I get the thing ... LOL

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:39:21 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
Hi,

Okay... got my reloader, got my scale, got my powder tube setup ... gonna get a Thumbler when I get an excellent deal ... but what is the favorite tool for putting primers into place?

TTFN,

How many opinions do you want ???   How many reloaders are there on cascity.com ??? ???

I am a fan of LEE because I am cheap!  The RAM PRIME is the cheapest way to go, unless your press has a repriming setup. Of the hand priming tools I have a LEE (bought it long before the RCBS was even thought of!), but have used my son's RCBS.  You pays your money and you makes your choice. Each has good & bad points.

LEE; cheaper but requires its own set of shellholders. Fewer shellholders so some cases are not a good fit and the case could slip out with a partially seated primer.

RCBS;  More $, more substantial, longer stroke as the longer shell holders must be accounted for. The priming pin falls out according to Abilene.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:55:55 PM »
Sir Charles,

Every opinion is good ... and I have paid in the past good money for shoddy merchandise ... so it is always good to know peoples' opinions who have used the articles ...

Thank you for yours  ... I do respect your opinions and will decide accordingly ...

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:44:05 PM »
A life lesson I got in priming tools is that for the last 20 years I have been scared to death of any priming tool that puts the primer being inserted into the shell directly adjacent to 100 or so more primers.

If something goes wrong (yes, you will at some point in time set off a primer while priming a case if you do it enough), it is usually no big deal but you don't want 100 more going off in your face as well.

I personally either use the tool previously mentioned a couple of times above that I load one primer at a time into (The RCBS bench priming tool with no auto feed), or I use a Dillon RL550 that moves the primer out of the STEEL ENCASED primer magazine that points UP and AWAY from your face, and slides it well away from the magazine before you try to insert it into the case.

There are other setups beside what I mentioned that meet my self-established requirements, and some that don't

Just something to think about, and wear glasses at the very least when reloading.

And, while a separate priming tool might seem redundant to some because just about every press on the market can also prime on the downstroke of sizing the case, the specialized tools are optimized to put the leverage in the part of the stroke that it belongs in to get a better "feel" of the primer being inserted properly.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »
The RCBS hand primer has some sort of blocking system that prevents a primer detonation from reaching the rest of the primers in the reservoir.  Don't know if the Lee hand primer does this or not.  I've never had a primer detonate, fortunately, but I never have an open mug of BP present (I hand dip my BP loads) when priming and the glasses I wear at all times have safety lenses.  No sense taking chances.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »
Abilene,

Being a klutz naturally, I am thinking that I had better have all the safety that is possible ... kind of a buckle and braces approach ...
So it looks like an RCBS then ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:40:43 AM »
I've been using a Lee "Auto Prime" hand-priming tool for nearly 40 years.  I bought one of the RCBS tools when they came out, but I never liked it as well as the Lee.  A lot of folks tell you that the shellhpolders are separate (very true) but they sell a set of ALL of them for $15.99 at Midway.  BIG bucks!  ::)

The new XR tool now has a safety piece that keeps the primer you set from the other 99 in the tray.

Here's the link for the tool:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413473/lee-auto-prime-xr-hand-priming-tool

... And here's the link to the 11 piece set:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/566058/lee-auto-prime-hand-priming-tool-shellholder-package-of-11

Many who know me know that SOME Lee equipment is NOT my "favorite" tools, but the Auto-Prime AIN'T one of the ones I don't like!  The parts are easily replaced at minimal cost for when you wear them out.  (Like after 38 years use!)  I heartily recommend the Auto-Prime tools, their die sets, and a bunch of their other stuff.  Just not everything.  I won't run down the things I don't care for, because many like them just fine - it's just that I haven't had good experiences with some of their tools.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:27:36 AM »
I use the Lee because, like someone said before, I'm cheap. It has never failed me, plus it was free. I did check out the new Lee primer at Cabelas a few weeks ago and it is much more substantial than the old one (I have the old, old one with the round holder, not the square one).

When I'm in the market I will go with this new model. Just remember to keep the moving parts well lubed. I use bullet lube on mine and it keeps on ticking.

Soap

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 08:31:59 AM »
I've been using the Lee Auto Prime for maybe 30  years.  Got the whole set of shell holders, didn't pay near that much for them.  I will say though put a tiny bit of lube on the "knee" of the linkage once in a while.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:13 AM »
Here is the listing from Midsouth;  $17.05 plus about 15.00 for a complete set of shellholders.  Fo about $35.00 you could be starting to reprime by priority mail! 8)

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690230

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 12:56:20 PM »
I've "only" used my Lee Auto Prime for 20 years.  It works great.  I did upgrade to the newer style recently, but not because the old one stopped working--I just liked the new style.  I highly recommend the tool. 

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Online Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »
I bought a Lee none of the shell holders fit what I was working on 50-70 and 38 S&W.  Gave it away.  Bought an old style RCBS that uses shell holders IOT accomodate the 50-70.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »
I bought a Lee none of the shell holders fit what I was working on 50-70 and 38 S&W.  Gave it away.  Bought an old style RCBS that uses shell holders IOT accomodate the 50-70.

The LEE #1 worked for me on .38 S&W and the #8 on cases made from .348 WCF

If it is really arcane you could alter a regular shell holder.  Cheaper would be to get a Ram Prime or prime on a regular press.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »
I've been using the Lee since around 1980 or the early yrs of the 80's. Wore out the first one, bought another just before they came out with the square ones. The RCBS should be a good one too, since all of their reloading items are top notch. If you get a Lee, make sure you get the square one, makes putting the primers from their original container a whole lot easier.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 09:00:32 AM »
I got a Lee priming tool more than 35 years ago.  It had screw in shell holders and you loaded one primer ar a time.  There was no primer tray.  When they came out with their improved version with the attached primer tray, I jumped on it like it was made of gold.

The only piece I replaced was the cam assembly when I had worn it to the point that it would not seat the primer fully in the pocket.  They were made out of pot metal way back then, I believe that they make them out of steel now.  I love mine and don't plan to change.....except to get the square tray when I get back home.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com