Author Topic: Virginian Dragoon  (Read 16044 times)

Offline Bigchuck000

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Virginian Dragoon
« on: May 26, 2004, 09:27:08 AM »
I recently had an opprotunity to purchase a pair of
Interarms Virginian Dragoons for less than 200 a piece.
Has anyone ever used them for CAS?  Both are 44 mag. 
The two in question have really sweet trigger pulls and are
as accurate as any ruger Ive shot.  I dont
have much experience  with this brand.  Are they durable?
  Im just concerned that if a part breaks i may have a problem getting it fixed?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: Virginian Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 10:27:56 AM »
I recently had an opprotunity to purchase a pair of
Interarms Virginian Dragoons for less than 200 a piece.
Has anyone ever used them for CAS?  Both are 44 mag. 
The two in question have really sweet trigger pulls and are
as accurate as any ruger Ive shot.  I dont
have much experience  with this brand.  Are they durable?
  Im just concerned that if a part breaks i may have a problem getting it fixed?
I am not sure but I think Uberti made them. That is a great price if they are in good condition.
Dakota Doc Martin started shooting with one. You should contact him for more info. http://www.coon-n-crockett.org/cowboy.htm

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

DarryH

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 04:32:58 PM »
These were Swiss made guns.
VERY high quality.
Said to be very bit as strong as the Ruger Black Hawks !!!
Guarantee they were NOT Uberti !!!!!!!!!

They will have adjustable sights,  so this will put you into the "modern" category.

I see them sell for similar prices fairly often,  but I consider them to be bargins due to the excellent quality.

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
aka...Wil O.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:30:25 AM »

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 06:39:45 PM »
DarryH is correct.  They are Swiss made and imported by Interarms, if I remember correctly.   Parts can be a problem but Numrich probably has them.  They are big, strong guns.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 06:56:23 PM »
Just saw this on the SASS Wire where a guy was looking for parts for the Virginian Dragoon.  Another replied that you can get parts from,

M & M Gunsmithing
204 S Union St
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 739-2150
 Apparently he use to work for Interarms. and has parts.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »
Were they made by Hammerli? I have found some Virginians made by Hammerli on the internet, but can't find if the Virginian Dragoons were made by them.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline w.b. masterson

• William Barclay Masterson
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 11:01:51 PM »
I bought one of the first ones made domestically.  Originally, Hammerli made them and Interarms imported them into the US.  The first ones were fixed sighted.  Then Interarms decided to make them in Virginia.  They put adjustable sights on them.  These are large heavy revolvers.  They'll handle ANY .44 magnum load.  I wouldn't recommend them for CAS simply because of their weight.  TWO of them would weight me down if I had to carry them around all day.  I wore one for several years while hunting in East Texas and it seemed heavy then.  They are extremely well made and shoot well.  200-250 is about what I see them selling for now.

BAT
"There are those who argue that everything breaks even in this old dump of a world of ours. I suppose these ginks who argue that way hold that because the rich man gets ice in the summer and the poor man gets it in the winter things are breaking even for both. Maybe so, but I'll swear I can't see it

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 09:59:58 AM »
I started a thread on the Frontier Spot about these. Here is a good post about them by Ultona.
Actually, I used to collect these things and can tell you the straight story on these. In the early to mid 1970's, Interarms used to import a Colt clone made in Switzerland by Hammerelli called the Virginian. It was just a Colt size copy made in .45 and 357 and maybe a few other calibers. It had fixed sights. Then, starting in about 1976, Interarms quit importing the Swiss guns, and started producing a new gun here in the United States and called it the Virginian Dragoon. This gun was NOT a Colt size copy, and in fact was bigger than a Ruger Black Hawk, and it came in Stainless and Blue/case hardened finish. Other than the Interarms connection, it had nothing to do with the Swiss made Virginian. Almost all of the Dragoons had adjustable sights, but a very few, called the Deputy models, had fixed sights. I owned one once and sold it to a fellow collector as it was a 2 digit serial numbered specimen. By about 1986, Interarms shut down Virginian Dragoon production and that was the end of them. The Virginian Dragoon was another well made modern single action, like the Seville and the Abiline, that was doomed to failure due to Ruger's hold on the market. I have an unfired .44 mag Stainless adjustable sight 7 1/2" version for sale right now for $350 if anybody wants a nice example.
Here is the link to the thread.
http://www.frontierspot.org/viewtopic.php?t=17918

Slim

Offline Al

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 10:34:05 PM »
I have a Virginia Dragoon, I like the feel of it, feels well balanced.  It is stainless 6 in barrel, I use to own a ruger super blackhawk, very nice gun because of the feel i prefer the dragoon. The butt of the dragoon seems longer and larger than the blackhawk.  Like they say could be a problem to get parts but mine is like new.  It is the 44 Mag   Thank you  Al

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:34:54 AM »
I had a .357 made by Hammerli.  Best fit and finish of any gun I ever owned.  Wish I have kept it, but I didn't care for the caliber.  Still don't.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 02:00:14 AM »
I had one it was alot larger than a super blackhawk. grips were very large. it was very nice to shoot with heavy magnum rounds.I know it would shoot better than I could

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com