Author Topic: The new Cones, Slix-Shot Nipples  (Read 48769 times)

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The new Cones, Slix-Shot Nipples
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:14:24 PM »
I shot Cowtown Cowboy Shooter today with Big Iron buster. Buster was shooting his Pietta 60's with the new nipples.
The differ from the stock Pietta cones and also the Treso's, as the internal volume is greater due to a better venturi as I was told. The flash hole is also larger in size than a Treso. There are two gas ports 180 degree's apart on the cone. On the card with the discription it states to use #10 caps only.

They were designed to be used with reduced Power Hammer Springs. Buster's 60 Hammer spring are greatly reduced for a C&B Revolver. He is going to lighten them some more I was told. By my feel of those Hammer springs he is approaching what would be a light tuned cartridge Revolver.

Ole # 4 shot Winter Range's Warm-up stages, Plainsman and the 12 main Match stages with-out any problems using his new Cones on his 1860's. They have been testing the product for the past four Months.

Several Months ago I bought a spare set of Cylinders for my Pietta 51 Navy 44's. I was going to install Treso's on them.
Buster just happen to have a couple of set of the new Cones. It will be interesting to compare the Treso's I have in the older Cylinders.
Long Hunter supply is a dealer and should have them in stock.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The new Cones, Slix-Shot Nipples
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »
I've been informed that Desperado Bullets is also a dealer and either has them or soon will.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
Will they work in the Euroarms guns too?

Maybe i would get a couple sets just in case my berrylium nipples wear out...

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:37:56 AM »

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:03:50 PM »
I've been informed that Desperado Bullets is also a dealer and either has them or soon will.

Just ordered some dfrom Desperado.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »
Now we need to get Mako involved with his trick CAD set-up. ;)

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »
Yeah.  I wonder where he is, hasn't posted for a while.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
Several years ago a now defunct BP vendor in CO or NM (can't remember) sold aftermarket SS nipples for Pietta Remingtons that he told me he had made by some machine shop in Arkansas. They were harder than a whore's heart and PERFECT for Rem. #10 caps.. Never lost a cap nor had a misfire. I am wondering if these new nipples are made by the same co. They sure look alike.

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:06:37 AM »
Sounds very interesting.   I'd been holding off on ordering some sets of tresto nipples as I'm gonna have a machinist cut the capping ports on 4 cylinders for me. . . . also spent a bunch of money on a set of loading ported conversion cylinders for them pistols.  Will think on getting some of these here ones as I heer about you fellows success with them . . . . .  :)

Pistols in question are them ones that air antiqued . . . seen on the left side part way down the page . .

http://www.drburkholter.com/cf6.html . . . I love 'em . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »
Pictures? Any visible difference?

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
Pictures? Any visible difference?

Much.

This new nipple is stainless steel (??) and has an improved orifice as well as two cross drilled hole like the old Hotshot nipples had.  They're available right now from Desperado Bullets for $36.00 for a set of 6.  I ordered a set for the Uberti and a set for the Pietta revolvers on Monday & they came in today's mail. Plan is to try them out this weekend in a SASS match - if the rain holds off.  Until I get some use on them, here are a few pictures to whet your appetite's.  The new nipple is on the left, with a Treso in the middle and a stock factory Uberti on the right.

AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:19:01 PM »
The dimensions of the stainless steel nipple looks alot like the berrylium nipples on the Rogers and Spencers...

But there are no criss cross ports in the berrylium nipples

Interesting...

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
Slix-Shot Nipples Range Report
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
Howdy, Here's my first range report on using the new Slix Shot nipples.

I measured the Uberti and Pietta nipples and compared them to stock.  The Uberti SlixShot measured about .032 longer than the stock Ubertis.  The Pietta SlixShot only measured about .006 longer. I haven't tried the Uberti with the SlixShot nipples yet - ran out of time yesterday.  I did run about 72 rounds through a Pietta 1860 Army.  I fired three cylinders full with Remington #10, Remington #11, CCI #11, and RWS 1075 caps.  One cylinder with each size cap was capped with a TDC revolver capper, one with a TDC dual spring straight line capper, and one capped by hand.  I did not use a "seating stick" or anything other than the capper or my thumb to seat the caps.  All of the caps went on without any trouble and felt like they were a snug fit.  I slow fired the first cylinder full with each size cap and didn't see any evidence of unfired caps backing off the nipple.

The load I used was 30 gr. fffg Goex thrown from a flask with a 30 gr. spout (which weighs out to 30.3 gr.); Ox Yoke Wonder Wad, and a .454 round ball cast by BPstuff llc.  Every chamber fired first time.  All of the Remington and RWS fired caps looked like a plus sign.  Four evenly sized wings coming off the center.  Most of the CCIs did the same; but some of them disintegrated or didn't split up completely.  The only two instances of a cap falling into the frame/action, was with the CCIs that didn't split up completely on firing; but, they didn't jam up the gun.  The hammer just flattened them to the frame.  In every instance, the only cap still left on a nipple was the one under the hammer from the last shot.  All of caps fell off, and none got between my hand and the grip. 

The 1860 I used was 1994 vintage that has been worked over some using Pettifoggers procedures.  It has coil spring & plunger hand spring and the hammer notch is filled with JB Weld. 

I'm going to try to get back out to the range later this week & run the same process on my Uberti 1861 Navy. It has also been worked over, so I'm going to take one of my .36 cal Piettas that is still bone stock unmodified & see how the nipples work on it.  I'm also going to try a couple Wolf reduced power hammer springs & see how they act.  This time I'll take my camera too.

So far, I'm really liking these nipples.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »
Good news, Fingers.
Are the nipples contacting the hammer face? That was one of the concerns. The overall length may vary from stock as the designers wanted the flash hole surface to be flush with the back of the cylinder cavity rather than protrude into the cylinder where the threads could rust over time. The critical distance is to the hammer face. Sounds like you didn't need any shimming. An improvement to the guns not mentioned yet is to cut away some metal on the inside arc of the hammer so if a cap gets under the hammer where they typically rest against the frame, there is space where the cap can flatten a bit but the hammer face still hits the nipple.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Bottom Dealin Mike

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 03:38:15 PM »
I just ordered a set for Uberti and a set for Pietta...we'll see how they do

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »
Good news, Fingers.
Are the nipples contacting the hammer face? That was one of the concerns. The overall length may vary from stock as the designers wanted the flash hole surface to be flush with the back of the cylinder cavity rather than protrude into the cylinder where the threads could rust over time. The critical distance is to the hammer face. Sounds like you didn't need any shimming. An improvement to the guns not mentioned yet is to cut away some metal on the inside arc of the hammer so if a cap gets under the hammer where they typically rest against the frame, there is space where the cap can flatten a bit but the hammer face still hits the nipple.

On both of the revolvers I've installed them on, the hammer touches the nipple.  The Uberti (2007 1861 Navy) more so than the Pietta (1994 1860 Army)  I've got a couple other revolvers I also want to try on next trip (Thurs?); 1991 Pietta 1861 Navy; 2002 Navy Arms Frontiersman; and a 1985 Uberti SS 1860.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »
What's the straight poop on hammer noses touching the nips?  I've heard that there is ideally a .005" to .010" gap between the hammer face and the nipple.  Obviously, the thickness of the cap will more than fill the void.

I used to THINK that mine didn't touch, but upon very close inspection, I can see the face of the hammer is shaped like the tip of the nipple, so it has been battered inward a bit.  I have few issues with caps igniting, I use Rem. #11s and now the 2 C&B guns I shoot most have the Treso cones.  Ignition, even with the battered face of the hammer is NOT an issue.  And before anyone asks, NO - I don't nor did I EVER dry-fire by C&B guns.  Of course, there have been a few inadvertent hammer blows over the 38 years I've been shooting C&B guns, but I could probably count the times on both hands with a finger or 2 left over.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
On both of the revolvers I've installed them on, the hammer touches the nipple.  The Uberti (2007 1861 Navy) more so than the Pietta (1994 1860 Army)  I've got a couple other revolvers I also want to try on next trip (Thurs?); 1991 Pietta 1861 Navy; 2002 Navy Arms Frontiersman; and a 1985 Uberti SS 1860.

That's a concern for me. I find that the hammer face gets beat up and the nipple will deform when the hammer strike the nipple. My match gun hammers are cut to make this contact as minimal as possible.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
My match gun hammers are cut to make this contact as minimal as possible.

As are mine.  The Pietta 1860 after 72 rounds didn't show any adverse signs of the hammer hitting the nipple.  It was just barely touching (new scientific measurement) anyway.  We'll see what happens with the Uberti Navy.  It's nipple was considerably longer than the stock nipple and the Treso.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »
One can very carefully dress the Hammer face with a very sharp file and use a precision square to check for trueness of the hammer face. ;)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
What's the straight poop on hammer noses touching the nips?...

Well, unless you have NASA grade surface grinders that are good to an angstrom (millionth of an inch) then it is myth, pure & simple. We have gone over this here in the Forum several times before in the past, but perhaps it's time to revisit it.

Cylinders have runout, nipple holes have depth runout, nipples have runout, etc. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have the hammer face just fall shy of ALL six nipples by say a thousandth of an inch on an ordinary revolver. The problem with dented/smashed hammer faces is usually twofold IMO: the nipples are too long and/or the hammer face too soft. That of course discludes if some knucklehead is dry firing.

If someone took the time to prefectly true up a cylinder, & then painstakingly micro-file each nipple they could get close, yet fouling would change the dimensions as well. Just my 2 cents.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com