Author Topic: Video - Sighting in the Pietta 1851 Navy  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Bottom Dealin Mike

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Video - Sighting in the Pietta 1851 Navy
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:08:24 AM »
This is the final video in our series on modifying Pietta's 1851 Navy revolver. In this segment we'll take the gun to the range and sight it in.

Unfortunately I left of the scene showing how I grind down the hammer nose sight. So I'll put up a short video with just that. It might be awhile though...YouTube changed their upload program, and as a result, I have about a dozen duplicate versions of this video uploading, and I have to wait for that queue to clear before I can get another one up.

So, please, bear with me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtErGRq6Q84[/youtube]

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Video - Sighting in the Pietta 1851 Navy
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »
You've got more guts than I have to actually FILM taking a Dremel to the sight. I have many times but always with more tentativeness and apprehension. Good job, smooth hands. Do you have a grinder at the range? I've always shot the gun, seen where it hits and then go home and do my calculating how much to remove, grinding & shaping then back out to the range to confirm. Sometimes 3 trips are necessary. Don't tell anybody, but I actually BENT THE BARREL on a brass framed Pietta Navy .44 that shot WAAAAY off to the left and due entirely to pure luck it now hits to POA. It was one of those "I can't pass up such a good deal" guns. Nice lesson.

What would you have done if the gun shot low to begin with? Dovetail rear sight resembling a '72 Open Top? Change the arc of the hammer by shortening the trigger? Build up the hammer & cut a new notch? Fortunately I have never had a Navy Colt ever shoot low.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »
Hellgate, I take a battery powered Dremel to the range with me...got tired of making three trips.  ;D

Like you, I've never had a Colt type C&B shoot low out of the box. In fact, I expected this one to hit a good six to eight inches higher than it did.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:41:47 AM »

Offline hdflame

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »
Hellgate, I take a battery powered Dremel to the range with me...got tired of making three trips.  ;D

Like you, I've never had a Colt type C&B shoot low out of the box. In fact, I expected this one to hit a good six to eight inches higher than it did.

I watched your videos and enjoyed them.  Could you tell me where to get a good quality nipple wrench that won't bugger up the nipples or wrench trying to remove them from a Pietta .44 Navy?  Any suggestions on any of your other tools...which ones and where to get?

Thanks,
Bobby

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
I use Track of the Wolf nipple wrenches. I keep one in my range box and another in my cleaning box. They are very well made.

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
As far as other tools go, for C&B revolvers screw drivers are the most important tools to own. I have a complete set of Brownells MagnaTip bits and handles on a bench board and a smaller cased set in my range box. They are worth the investment.

Offline brazosdave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:23:33 PM »
Hey Mike, are you using black powder or one of the substitutes in that video? I have a steel frame Leech & Rigdon, so if you are using Pyrodex P, I'm assuming 22 gr would be a good charge for that also.
"I'm your huckleberry, it's just my game"

Offline hdflame

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:44:28 PM »
As far as other tools go, for C&B revolvers screw drivers are the most important tools to own. I have a complete set of Brownells MagnaTip bits and handles on a bench board and a smaller cased set in my range box. They are worth the investment.

Thanks, I just went and bookmarked Brownells webpage.

I also have an order I'm putting together from Track of the Wolf.  I don't think they have the Slix-shot nipples, but I'm ordering some of those too.

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 05:23:18 AM »
I only use subsitutes for testing for articles and videos. I prefer using real B-P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com