Author Topic: stainless pins media  (Read 12953 times)

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: stainless pins media
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGB_g7Dxlo&feature=related  ........... ;D
Roy, that is a great idea, I wish you had posted it before I spent $30 on the HF dual tumbler.   I'm going to make one as soon as I find a suitable bucket.  I don't have metal cutting equipment so I'll just put the bucket between a couple of plywood disks and squeeze it between centers.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 09:48:38 PM »
Willy,

I found those on You Tube..........Not my ideas. Lots of ideas on making a tumbler on you tube.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 03:44:39 AM »
Life was sure a lot easier when we didn't have brass cleaners. We just shot dirty brass and it was realllllllllllllllllllll dirty, we'd wipe it on our pants.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:13:19 PM »

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »
The reason I went to ceramic is that I shot some very dirty brass that had tumbled for a while in walnut.

I had squibs (more walnut left in cases than powder) and swelled necks that didn't want to feed. I was shooting smokeless and did not have an inspection station set up. You learn as you go.

Now I do have to pick out media but the cases are clean inside and out.

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »

Looking at the video, they guy just tips the water out after rinsing a few times and stops before the level drop to the point where the pins would be going down the sink. If you followed this method you wouldn't need the magnets.

The magnet is for when the operator gets a little careless  :P
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 07:19:27 PM »
Put the tumbler drum in the sink and fill with water and let it overflow for a few minutes until the water runs relatively clear.

Put an old towel in the sink and pour the whole mess into the towel. Let it drain through the towel. Pick out the brass and dump
the SS pins baxck into the drum for storage.

Easy Peasy!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Dalion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »
BTW, Buffalo Arms has one pound bags for $7.50.  That is where I got mine.

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 09:26:33 AM »
Dalion. That is a good price but if you add in shipping it will be very expensive for just one pound of media.
The Pellets LLc price of $6 a pound for 5 pound bags which is $30 and $10 shipping via Priority Mail is still the best deal that I have found.
Unless Buffalo Arms has changed the way they ship, I would like to see the shipping quote.
I like Buffalo Arms and they are the cheapest price to buy a lot of things from. I have purchased guns, Model B Thumblers and supplies from them for years.
I did however just need a card of Lee Shaver front sight inserts for my 1874 Sharps and ordered just them figuring they would put them into a regular mailing padded brown envelope and send it via the USPS.
I was wrong and they came via a UPS truck and when I saw my bill I almost fell over. The card of inserts was about $15 and the shipping was the same for a total of $28.
I will say that after my rather upsetting call they saw fit to reduce the charge to around $6 or so which is still high for a piece of metal that would have required nothing but a .48 cent stamp.
I still believe in them and will continue to buy but only when I have enough items to equal the shipping charges.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Dalion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 11:32:38 AM »
I can't disagree with you on shipping issue.  I did order the media with a bunch of other stuff in a larger order.

Offline Long Gulch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »
Howdy All, I have been interested in stainless steel media for a while and this thread has pushed me over the edge.
I ordered the whole set up from Buffalo Arms plus there was a couple of other things I had been wanting as well. I used the info from the Stainless Steel Media folks' website as far as the procedure of cleaning goes, i.e. - 5 lbs pins, 1 gal., water, 2tbsp dawn, 1/4 tsp Lemi-Shine, 2lbs of brass and away we go. Whiz-bang! All is bright and shiney like new again!

However, the Insturctions from Buffalo Arms for the Stainless Steel Media says to place THREE pounds of SS media in the tumbler barrel and fill with cold water until it covers the media by an inch. Put a table spoon of compound in with the water. (referring to the liquid cleaner that is apprently their own brand). Use 2-3 tablespooons if the cases are extremely dirty. You may then add up to EIGHT pounds of brass for polishing and cleaning.

Now, am I gonna turn around and order  the compound + shipping from our good friends up in the Gem State? Well no.
I don't begrudge anyone from making a good product, but I just ain't ready to place another order right away.

So here's the question. ( Oh, you knew there was going to be a question, right?  :D)

Has any one used an alternative method or product with SS media to clean more than TWO pounds of brass at a time?  
BTW I am using Thumbler's  Tumbler which holds 15 lbs.

Thanks Much,
LG

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
Long Gulch, I posted on this forum about purchasing the so called secret cleaning liquid that all vendors want you to buy in a package deal before.
I have been doing this since 1968 and have tried them all and they are over priced for what they do.
Try using Dawn/OXY or Palmolive/Oxy and you will find that the end results are even better. It takes only a squirt or two for the model B which I have used since 1970.
I also have a Thumblers UV 18, Frankford Arsenal, and shoe box vibratory machines that no longer see any use because they will not clean BP cases like the ceramic or SS pins with water and soap.
Be careful with the Lemi Shine as I added a little too much to a load of nickel 44WCF cases that are now copper colored.
I use just enough water to cover the contents of my model B by about a 1/2 inch or so. I have read where some are saying to use a gallon of water and that will not work any better. It also causes a load on the tumbler while cutting down on space that could be used for cases.
My method is to put in my cases first then cover with media. Then add the water and soap and Lemi Shine if you choose to do so. But only enough water to cover and no more. Later David
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Long Gulch

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 05:23:28 PM »
Fairshake, I sure do appreciate the feedback. I am only using  1/4 teaspoon of  Lemi-Shine and it seems to be working well.
I did clean some 2 lbs of nickled 357 cases and they came out fine. The first bunch of cases I did were 44WCF using the SSmedia/dawn/Lemi-Shine/1 gal. H2O method and everything worked great there.

At present I am running about 6 lbs of 44 Russian with my own "Secret Recipe" that I will report on if it is successful.

BTW thanks for your fine work with the 44WCF cartridge I have been following the posts here on that fine old round and it has become my latest new favorite bullet to cast and load. All in GUNPOWDER of course!

LG

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »
Just got stainless steel pins from STM in Utah. Followed their instructions about cleaning the stainless steel pins by themselves first. Then ran about 250 .40 S&W cases through it. I was impressed. Absolutely clean inside and out. All of my black powder cases were already clean so I haven't given them a try yet. Will try them next. I used a shot of Dawn and about an eighth teaspoon of lemi-shine with about a half quart of water in a Thumler's AR 12 Tumbler. Just covered the brass and pins with water and tumbled for about 4 hours.  Haven't tried bottle-necked cases yet. If it does as well with them I won't go back to my ceramic media.
Deadeye Dick 
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com