Author Topic: Help with grip size  (Read 14485 times)

Offline gtcrackers

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help with grip size
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
I am trying to acquire guns for CAS shooting.  My current project is finding a pistol.  The problem is that I have big, wide hands.  With Colts, Rugers, and Ubertis I have to hang my little finger off of the grip.  I was wondering  if the Bisleys or Scholfield grips would better fit a bigger hand?

Thanks,

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Help with grip size
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »
A real ham handsx huh? I don'thave that problem myself, but there are revolversout there that have large grips.The 1860 Army model is one of them, but i don't knowthat the grips are any larger than the Rugers. You also may take a look at the Dragoon models. Threy are big EVERYWHERE! Failing that you could either get some custom oversize grips (sounds expensive) or use stock grips and build them up. I have seen one pair of SAA Colts that had "extensions" added on to the bottoms of the grips and secured in place with a screw through the bottom of the grip frame. That little project doesn't "sound" like it would be too difficult, but then again I've never tried it. Try googling "gun grips" and check out a couple of dozen makers. Good luck with your search.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:04:13 PM »
Pietta Alchemistas have the much longer 1860 army grips paired with a SAA frame.  Try them
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:18:16 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:44:50 AM »
A real ham handsx huh? I don'thave that problem myself, but there are revolversout there that have large grips.The 1860 Army model is one of them, but i don't knowthat the grips are any larger than the Rugers. You also may take a look at the Dragoon models. Threy are big EVERYWHERE! Failing that you could either get some custom oversize grips (sounds expensive) or use stock grips and build them up. I have seen one pair of SAA Colts that had "extensions" added on to the bottoms of the grips and secured in place with a screw through the bottom of the grip frame. That little project doesn't "sound" like it would be too difficult, but then again I've never tried it. Try googling "gun grips" and check out a couple of dozen makers. Good luck with your search.
Walkers are bigger than "Dragoons" but the grips are "standard" size. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:30:13 AM »
I shoot Ruger Bisleys and yes, they do have a longer grip so I can get all four fingers on them.  They also have a lower ans swept back hammer that I thought would aid in one-handed shooting.  It turns out the opposite is true, for one-handed shooting I prefer the standard SAA grip and hammer, with my little finger not "hanging off" but gripping the bottom of the grip.  Try them all before you buy, or do like I did and buy what you think you want and adapt you shooting style to fit them.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »
I am trying to acquire guns for CAS shooting.  My current project is finding a pistol.  The problem is that I have big, wide hands.  With Colts, Rugers, and Ubertis I have to hang my little finger off of the grip.  I was wondering  if the Bisleys or Scholfield grips would better fit a bigger hand?

Thanks,

A lot of the top shooters purposefully place their pinky finger under the grip to help control recoil.  It was one of the first things demonstrated to me at a match and it does help.  I've shot that way so long now I don't even think about it.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Burt Blade

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 06:56:43 AM »
The original Ruger Vaqueros, if you can find them, will fit you better than the New Model Vaquero.

If you have original Vaqueros, they can accept the Super Blackhawk frames of the same era, which have longer grips.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »
The Alchimista and Alchimista II from EMF do have the longer 1860 Army grips.  I did Cowboy Chronicle articles on both, and they AWESOME!  Great for big hands. If they came in 44-40, that is what I would shoot.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 12:03:25 PM »
If the Army grip feels good in your hand, another choice if you want to be a little different is the 1860 Richards-Mason or the Type II (aka Transition) Richards conversions.  Both are available in 5 1/2" or 8" barrels, and .38, .44, and .45 Calibers.

1961MJS

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:46:17 PM »
Hi

I'm having a horrible time attempting to get a good grip on my Pietta .45 Colt SAA.  I've been shooting a 1911 for about 12 years now and can actually hit the target at 50 yards, so I'm not quite a novice shooter.  I looked up Custom SAA grips and found a place called Chisel and Plane.  They size SAA grips based on your hand size.  I have long fingers.

I was reading through their site and found this:  "When a shooter wraps his/her fingers around the grips of a single action, there should be a small gap between the tip of the middle finger to the meaty portion of the palm below the thumb.  If the tip of the finger pushes into or lays on top of the palm of the hand, the grip panels are too small (thin).  If the gap between the tip of the middle finger and palm is too wide, then the grip panels are too large (thick) for the shooter hand. "

Well, when I wrap my hands around a SAA grip, my middle finger lays on top of my palm about to the first knuckle.  I've worked on my grip with the 1911 and now when I put one down range, my had comes back on target without any real work on my part.  I DO have more than 20,000 rounds (.22LR and .45 ACP) downrange with a 1911 and less than 500 with a SAA but I know I should be able to do the same thing with the SAA.

I'd like to get a thicker set of grips, but I'd have to send my gun off to Ohio and they're roughly $300.00.

Has anyone used these guys?  Did the grips fit to your hand work or was it a waste of money?

http://chiselandplaneworkshop.com/Custom-Size-Grips.php

Thanks

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 10:12:53 AM »
I have long slim hand and fingers. From the tip of my thumb to the tip of my middle finger is 9 1/2". I compete in SASS with SAs and other disciplines using DA revolvers. My favorite DA revolver is a 3" HVR Dan Wesson. The 3" barrel is custom built.
In SASS, I shoot Ruger 3 screws with very slender gunfighter grips. And I intentionally place the pinky under the grip. This ensures a consistent placement of the hand and does a little to control any recoil.
The DW wears large factory grips like the S&W N frames. This is, I believe, where the individual preference steps in. I tried a number of "competitive grips" with the DA but always came back to the large factory grips with a slight bottom swell.
All bets are off if you shoot one handed.
All my competition is shot with the squaw grip. 1911, SA, and DA.

I have a difficult time thinking about dropping $300.00 for "custom grips". The matches are the place to shop for grips. Take a bunch of extra ammo and ask about shooter's grips. They will offer.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

1961MJS

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »
Thanks Red

You're not the only one that doesn't want to blow $300.00 just to be able to hang on to the gun, but I'll do it if I have to.

Like I said, I've been shooting 1911s quite a while, and I think I've worked out a grip that helps me shoot pretty well.  With that grip, I'm able to hold on to the gun through recoil and come back on target without changing my position, including my grip at all.  What helped was John Zurek having me put my knuckles in a row at the front of the 1911 grip, and standing at 90 degrees to the target instead of 30-60 degrees to the target. 

I've been shooting primarily with one hand, generally with the same stance as I do in Bullseye.  I'll try two handed and see if that helps, but I have doubts that it will.  Shooting two handed helps steady the gun while aiming, and while cocking the single action, but doesn't seem to do much to aid in recoil reduction (in my limited experience).  I haven't actually DROPPED the SAA yet, but it feels loose, and I'm gripping pretty tightly. 

Could you please post a few pictures of your grip for me?

Thanks

Mike

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »
The Old Model Vaqueros are meatier than the New Model grips. (IMHO, the New Vaq grips are slimmer than even a Colt's SAA's!) The Bisley grips on the Old Model Vaqueros' are more so. Best is to go to several matches and handle various guns, which most shooters will allow you to do. Placing the little finger under the butt of the gun is an old, old technique that helps control the gun. But Colt Single Actions do have small grips, and the M1860 gripframe may work better for you, being longer. In theory the Army Colt grip should fit most Single Action Army's (M1873), as the hole pattern is the same. However, there may be some variation in tolerances from replica-to-replica, so you might have to do some filing or have a 'smith do the fitting.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 09:02:53 AM »
Rereading your post makes me want to ask what load do you use? You may not want to continue the discussion if I tell you my load.  8)
SASS29170L

1961MJS

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
Rereading your post makes me want to ask what load do you use? You may not want to continue the discussion if I tell you my load.  8)

:D 

Well, you'll love this.  I don't feel I'm gripping the gun well enough to work up an accurate load the the Trail Boss I have.  I'm shooting a 250 grain bullet at this point, partly because I've read that the heavier bullets seal the case better.  I also have some 225 (I think) grain bullets also.

I'm NOT CONFIDENT of my grip at this point, if I had a .22 LR SAA, I'd still be asking.  I'm used to my had not moving at all on the grip when I fire a 1911 with Winchester White Box hardball loads. I feel that it's important to the accuracy of my shots to carry that over to CAS. 

I also plan on shooting the gun (for now) in our clubs Military Revolver matches, but I have to shoot that one handed.  At this point, ANYTHING will be helpful.  My had measures  a hair under 9 inches from the tip of my middle finger to the tip of my thumb, so we have similarly sized hands.

I've tried the grip where you put your thumb on the back of the SAA up by the hammer, and it always slips off under recoil.  I'll try and get the two guys that shoot in the Military Revolver match to bring by their non-SAA cowboy guns and try those.  I believe that one of them had the 1860 Army grips on an open top.  I also think I'd swap to .38 special for an open top.

I figured you shot "mouse farts", but they still had to hit the target, and you still have to grip the gun tightly and consistently...

Thanks again

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 10:13:10 AM »
These are most definitely not National Match guns.

The grip design acts to roll back into the shooter's hand - to facilitate cocking one-handed.

Before you do anything else - look to the grips themselves, and find a new pair that has a raised design on the palm of the shooting hand - a 'Steerhead', or something similar.

That will fill the hollow of your shooting hand and act to secure the piece during firing.

You can also try a box of .45 S&W - the Army's issued load for the duration of active service of the weapon.

It'll behave pretty much exactly like .45 ACP.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

1961MJS

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »
These are most definitely not National Match guns.

The grip design acts to roll back into the shooter's hand - to facilitate cocking one-handed.

Before you do anything else - look to the grips themselves, and find a new pair that has a raised design on the palm of the shooting hand - a 'Steerhead', or something similar.

That will fill the hollow of your shooting hand and act to secure the piece during firing.

You can also try a box of .45 S&W - the Army's issued load for the duration of active service of the weapon.

It'll behave pretty much exactly like .45 ACP.

Scouts Out!

Thanks, I think I can try a $55 (plus) grip from Gripmaker or someone else.  It occurs to me that having the top of the grip smooth will give the trigger finger more room.  I'll probably try a grip with nothing sticking up in line with the trigger finger.  They're also less expensive than a Cimarron Arms walnut grip if I were to decide to putty the thing up later...

I'll load up a few 225 grain bullets with whatever 0.2 grains over the minimum load is for Trail Boss and that bullet weight and see what happens then also.  That should give me a lower recoil load without buying more brass, I have 1600 of .45 LC now anyway.

Thanks

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:58 AM »
Yup. I shoot a light load. I approach the "game" to have as much fun as I can and satisfy strong competitive juices. And I do have fun. Here are my shooters.

The old 72 year old in this video resembles me greatly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQvrBoIxoo&list=PLer2Vko5VWHT-AGWzoIYXvK-7hviP7Hbg&index=9
SASS29170L

1961MJS

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »
Hi everybody

Thanks for all of your help so far.  I called Larry (Gripmaker) Little of Carthage Missouri and he said that the thickest grip he makes is a stag grip, so he's sending me one in a week or so. 

I watched Hickock45 on You Tube, and he shot a 2nd Generation Colt well enough to hit a 50 yard gong and that guy's  hands look LONG.  He just curls his hand around the gun with his knuckles in front so maybe I just need to hold tighter.  Hickock's Cameraman was a LOT closer than Red's was so I could see what his hands were doing.

Back to packing, going to the Range tomorrow.   ;D

Later

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 11:41:07 PM »
Hi

Chisel and Plane quit making custom wood grips for SAA in October 2017.  I emailed and asked. 

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com