Author Topic: I am having a problem with my NM Vaquero when cocking it  (Read 7562 times)

Offline mattbowen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I am having a problem with my NM Vaquero when cocking it
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »
Hello; I am having a problem with my Vaquero, when I go to cock it it sometimes locks up as if the loading gate was open. I checked the the cylinder pin and it seems to be fine. I am wondering what else it be. I really don't want to send it back to the factory if it something that I can fix.

Thank you in advance

Matt  

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: I am haveing a problem with my NM Vaquaro when cocking it
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »
Guessing a burr, chip or debris in the guts.  
Does it cock okay with the cylinder OUT and the base pin IN?
I'd suggest cleaning it out well and lubing it well since it's a NEW revolver.

Forgot to ask....Is that empty?
Or possibly a high primer?
Or round not seated all the way in the chamber?

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline mattbowen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:44:23 AM »
Gregg;

Thanks for the reply, the weapon empty, the cylinder in or out it feels as if the the the base pin is out and the hammer block is catching the firing pin. I know that isn't the problem because that was the first thing I checked, it feels as if it is coming from around the trigger area. If you open the loading gate and try to cock it, that is what it feels like.

Thanks again

Matt

Advertising

Re: I am having a problem with my NM Vaquero when cocking it
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:40:17 PM »

Offline IRON JACK

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:33:54 AM »
I had the same problem with mine when it was new. It was the base pin with mine.

There was a small bur in the latch hole keeping it from fully engaging. It let the base pin move just far enough forward to keep the plunger form pushing the transfer bar back from the fireing pin and the transfer bar was catching on the fireing pin.

While cocking the pistol slowly look at the top of transfer bar to see if it's clearing the firing pin . As simple as mine was it took a while to figure it out as the base pin seemed just fine but it wasn't.

3Fingers_Murphy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:50:38 AM »
I had the same problem with mine when it was new. It was the base pin with mine.

There was a small bur in the latch hole keeping it from fully engaging. It let the base pin move just far enough forward to keep the plunger form pushing the transfer bar back from the fireing pin and the transfer bar was catching on the fireing pin.

While cocking the pistol slowly look at the top of transfer bar to see if it's clearing the firing pin . As simple as mine was it took a while to figure it out as the base pin seemed just fine but it wasn't.

I'm glad you posted that. That was the same problem with one of my new vaquaros, I didn't fix it myself but when you described it that was exactly what I was told. I read this yesterday and was going to look up the guys number who fixed. He's just a part time gunsmith and guy I shoot with.  I couldn't figure it out either. ;D
Murphy

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »
Some of my Rooooooogers have a "lazy" spring in the base pin. 

It would be nice if there was some way to disassemble the base pin and clean the spring and channel, but there is not.  Part is expendable.

I squirt some Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner Lubricant in there and call it good.  Seems to help keep the spring and bushing put enough pressure on the transfer bar.

Offline mattbowen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:03:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies from some of the guys that I have spoken with said since the weapon is several years old it sounds like the Gate Detent Spring is out of position. At the time I am waiting on a couple of springs so when they come in and I get it back together I will let y'all know.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:20:15 AM »
For what it's worth, the only part that has ever broken on my oldest Blackhawk (quite old) is the loading gate spring.

Offline mattbowen

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »
Well Gentlemen;

I got it together and found that it was the pawl spring the was causing the problem, now she is working like new.

Thanks for all the replies.

Matt   

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 07:20:07 AM »
Glad you got it working. I was ready to say send it back to Ruger on their nickel. I had a problem with my new stainless .44 spl Blackhawk. The loading gate was stiff and I thought, "Hell, for 20 bucks, I'll get my local smith to look at it rather than the hassle of sending it back. " When I got it back, the gate was smoother but the bolt was now dragging on the cylinder because it wasn't retracting all the way with the gate open. Turns out, he had over-polished some part and we had to order and install a new one from Brownells. If I had it to do over again, I would have shipped it back to Ruger.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:58:14 PM »
I have often wondered why more folks don't just send their guns back to Ruger.  Totally understand about custom parts being removed etc, but for stock guns The two I send in came home in less than a week.  The first was a single six I left with my sister when I went to Germany.  Somewhere along the line with moves I could not find the 22Mag Cylinder $25 later I had a new one fitted.  They did replace the original 3 screw parts, but they are still in the box in the safe.

Another time in El Paso I bought my first vaquero, took it to the range and had some ejection problems, cases really bulged.  Turns out the 44 Mag gun had a 45 colt cylinder, Ruger fixed that right quick as well.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com