Author Topic: GW Stone  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Goody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GW Stone
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:06:55 PM »
A friend of mine showed me a knife that she bought for her late husband some years ago. It is identical, right down to the sheath, to the one shown near the bottom of this thread, described as a "GW Stone Little River Bowie". From what little I have been able to find he was a maker located near Dallas. He helped to start the Knifemakers Guild and seems to be highly regarded. I neglected to take any pictures of hers, but would anyone know the value range of these? Where would one go to list one for sale?

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17717&start=15

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
Re: GW Stone
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »
A friend of mine showed me a knife that she bought for her late husband some years ago. It is identical, right down to the sheath, to the one shown near the bottom of this thread, described as a "GW Stone Little River Bowie". From what little I have been able to find he was a maker located near Dallas. He helped to start the Knifemakers Guild and seems to be highly regarded. I neglected to take any pictures of hers, but would anyone know the value range of these? Where would one go to list one for sale?

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17717&start=15

Goody,

I do a fair amount of knife collecting and I'm familiar with this name.  George Stone made knives in the Richardson area from the 1940's till his death in 1991.  He has quite a following in some knife collector circles since he was a founder of the Knifemakers Guild.  He made a lot of knives for military use in WW 2, Korea, and Vietnam.  He also made hunting and sportsmans knives.   One of his knives shows up for sale on Bladeforums.com a few times each year.  Depending on the model and condition, they usually sell between $300 and $700.   You might drop a note and picture over on that forum.   Somebody there will be able to give you a hard number on the value. 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Goody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:23:36 PM »
Thanks Pancho, I'll get some photos from her.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:03:25 AM »

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:55:55 PM »
Darn. I lived in Richardson in the early-mid '60s and I never knew about him. I was a budding young knife enthusiast, but back then the only custom knifemaker I knew of was Randall. I still have the Randall #1 I ordered in '64 when I was a high school junior. If I'd known, I might have had a true custom knife from Stone. I was into Bowies back then and he made a lot of those. Missed opportunities. Ah, well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com