Author Topic: What Constitues a 'primitive' site?  (Read 3996 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What Constitues a 'primitive' site?
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »
Hi,

I was told that my Pedersoli Scout was okay for Plainsman competitions, but that eventually I would need to change the rear 'ramped' site (a la '73 Winchester) .....

However, when I looked at Track Of The Wolf's primitive sites in order to get me one, frankly I was overwhelmed by the four pages of sites ...

Since my ML is considered a 'short Pennsylvania' kind of a weapon, what should I be looking for in an 1815-1845 impression?

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: What Constitues a 'primitive' site?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:08:10 PM »
Start by measuring your rear dovetail and picking a sight with that size and the same height as the present sight with your proper sight setting.  I made one for my own Pedersoli Tryon out of the tip of a railroad spike.  Just a triangular slice hacksawed off the tip.  I undercut the rear so the face would usually be in shadow.  I made a narrow notch with the hacksaw, and made the top level to avoid canting the rifle.  From the shooters point of view it would look like this;

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=20&subId=134&styleId=486&partNum=RS-SCH-16

First, decide on your loads and trajectory.

The ML competitions I attended were pretty standard, with bullseye targets at 25, 50 & 100 yards followed by a trail walk with ranges from point blank to over 100 yards.  I sighted for a 6 o'clock hold on both the 25 and 50 yards bullseye with a file. It should be bang-on for 75 yards. I then learned the holds for other ranges. e.g; 100 yards was a 6 inch drop. During the 5 years I was a regular competitor I was 1st or 2d in my local club 4 of those years. I don't know the courses of fire you will encounter, but 75 yards would be a good range to zero for.  Some folks like to adjust the powder charge for each range using the same hold, but I could never understand why.  I find a good accurate target load first and make a measure from a cartridge case to match.  If you need a stronger hunting load, work that up separately and then cut a measure for it as well.

The part I can't answer is historical accuracy.  One way would be to go into the books or a museum.  Another way would be to search the Track otw catalogue and look at what is on the rifles and kits about your time period.  And finally, wait for one of the real x-spurts to chime in

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:48:18 PM »
Wadd:

Sir Charles has offered some good advice. It's really up to you as to what style you like.

Of the Dixie link you sent me the other day (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Rear+Sight&x=6&y=9), I'd say the following part numbers would work: 0504 (the one you sent a photo of), 0505, 0506, 0507, 1301, 1418 (made for a smaller rifle). The sights that include "Pennsylvania" in the title will probably be a better match as far as style.

As Sir Charles already mentioned, you'll need to be sure your dovetail matches, but I believe most of them are fairly standard anymore. I didn't check them all, but the ones I did look at were all 3/8".

Hope this helps.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:33:34 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:29:15 AM »
Hi,

I ordered the EP0504 from DGW ... so I should get it in about 10 days ... and I have this great gunsmith whom I will have put it on and get it sited in for me ... I do know my limits ... and when things use criterion of .001 it is WAY out of my ball park (its hard for these presbyopic eyes to see even .01 on a scale)... Better to have someone 'in the know' do it than buy three or four rear sites before I finally get it right (and don't forget about the shipping!)
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
Hi,

I ordered the EP0504 from DGW ... so I should get it in about 10 days ... and I have this great gunsmith whom I will have put it on and get it sited in for me ... I do know my limits ... and when things use criterion of .001 it is WAY out of my ball park (its hard for these presbyopic eyes to see even .01 on a scale)... Better to have someone 'in the know' do it than buy three or four rear sites before I finally get it right (and don't forget about the shipping!)

Wadd;  If you haven't got yourself a LARGE DISPLAY digital caliper yet, whats takenYa ??? Go to Amazon before you buy local; about $16 + postage.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
Sir Charles,

I do have a digital caliper ... just am not that accurate with it .... and it is much easier to just turn this whole project over to one who does it for a living ... I can putz about in fractions of an inch, but when the project requires tolerances of 0.001, I find it best to just give it to a professional and let me shoot it afterwards ... wish that I did have that micrometer skill, but a wise man knows his limitations and acts within his area of ability ... and mine certainly ain't in this area ....

TTFN

NCOWS #3403

Offline TEXAS SARGE

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »
Hello All

If you can get a copy of the March/April 2012 issue of Muzzleloader magazine check out page 11.  There is an article by Mike Nesbitt on sighting in a fixed sight primitive rifle that is very good.  Have a good day.

Sarge
South of the Santa Fe Trail

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »
Thanks Sarge,

I will check my local newstands!

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com