Author Topic: An interesting site about Schofields.  (Read 6140 times)

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
An interesting site about Schofields.
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:35:54 PM »
Thought I would share this with the guys.

http://www.sam-hane.com/sass/schofield/
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: An interesting site about Schofields.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:46:06 AM »
A wealth of Schofield information!  Thanks for posting it RickB.   8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:30:04 AM »
I'd like to point out that the Laramie is NOT a Schofield, but a 3rd Model Russian.

I still wish someone would make a 1st Model Russian with the options of an 8" barrel and nickel plating.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:43:00 AM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
I'd like to point out that the Laramie is NOT a Schofield, but a 3rd Model Russian.

I still wish someone would make a 1st Model Russian with the options of an 8" barrel and nickel plating.

Well, actually the Laramie is a New Model #3 Target, but with the rebounding hammer of the fixed-sight NM#3, which the Target model did NOT have.  IMHO, SASS' ruling out the Laramie because of the "adjustable' sight makes about as much sense as ruling out the driftable windage rifle rear sights because they are "adjustable"!  The Laramie's rear sight is NOT click-adjustable, and loosening the screws to slide the rear blade back and forth for windage is about as accurate as using a file on the notch of a fixed rear sight. Too bad they couldn't have just made the latch with the fixed rear sight, but since they are out of production altogether, I guess it's too bad all around.  Also would have liked to have seen the Laramie in .44-40, which was a legitimate chambering for a few of the original NM#3's
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Wild_Willie

• Will Blastem, BOSS #213
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
Driftwood cited this site over on the SASS wire: http://www.armchairgunshow.com/Mod3-info.html  It explains the 5 families of #3's better.  I have heard the Laramies described as Schofields too.

Looks like the Laramie's are New Model #3's technically!  Well OK then!  ;D

~Will

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »
Really great site. Thanks Willie.

Just felt the need to share Dan. Glad you enjoyed it. That was my intention.
Rick.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »

I wish someone would make the #3 American in. 45. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Rick.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »
Well, actually the Laramie is a New Model #3 Target, but with the rebounding hammer of the fixed-sight NM#3, which the Target model did NOT have.  IMHO, SASS' ruling out the Laramie because of the "adjustable' sight makes about as much sense as ruling out the driftable windage rifle rear sights because they are "adjustable"!  The Laramie's rear sight is NOT click-adjustable, and loosening the screws to slide the rear blade back and forth for windage is about as accurate as using a file on the notch of a fixed rear sight. Too bad they couldn't have just made the latch with the fixed rear sight, but since they are out of production altogether, I guess it's too bad all around.  Also would have liked to have seen the Laramie in .44-40, which was a legitimate chambering for a few of the original NM#3's

I stand corrected.  Thanks for setting me right on that.  The only S&W I'm interested in is the 1st Model Russian, so I've not kept up on the others.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »

I stand corrected.  Thanks for setting me right on that.  The only S&W I'm interested in is the 1st Model Russian, so I've not kept up on the others.

Offline Wild_Willie

• Will Blastem, BOSS #213
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:37:44 PM »
I cannot take credit for that site link, that is all MR DRIFTWOOD JOHNSON!

I learned something new too: I called my Laramie's Schofields, which is NOT TRUE.

Well, I actually call them .45 LONG COLT Schofields, so I am all kinds of mixed up in errors!  ;)

~Will

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:26:27 AM »
Howdy

I always get a kick out of that bit about how the mounted soldier was supposed to be able to reload a Schofield with one hand while keeping one hand on the reins. Unloading is fine, you open the latch with your thumb and break the gun open by shoving the barrel against your leg, dumping all the empties in the process. But I'll be consarned if I know how a mounted trooper could keep the reins in one hand, hold the gun with another, and pop cartridges into the cylinder at the same time. Maybe a really good rider could hold the pistol with the same hand that held the reins while the other hand reloaded. Not me, I ain't that good a rider that I would even try if the horse was trotting or galloping. Maybe that's just me.

Regarding the American Model, the Russian Model, the Schofield Model, the New Model Number Three, and the Double Action 44, just remember, they were all built on the #3 frame. All Schofields are #3s, but not all #3s are Schofields. And it was not like today when all N frames and all K frames are almost identical. In Top Break days, #3 denoted the size of the frame, but there were distinct differences in all five of the #3 models, as can be seen on the page I referred to.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com