Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 04:16:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Books & Movies (Moderator: Texas Lawdog)  |  Topic: "The Wind & The Lion" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Wind & The Lion"  (Read 2006 times)
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« on: February 16, 2012, 04:41:08 pm »

When I turned on the toob today, the movie "The Wind & The Lion" was on.

This is arguably one of Sean Connery's best ever. His co-star Candice Bergen was gorgeous - "Mrs. Petikaris, you are a lot of trouble ....."

For those that don't know, the story is about the rescue of the wife of the American Ambassador to Morocco during the Teddy Roosevelt administration; the incident that sparked the battle immortalized in the Marine Corps Hymn.

So far as I could tell, the guns were accurate for the era - Mauser carbines for the German Uhlans, Krags and '97 shotguns for the Marines, a Mauser '96 Broomhandle for the German Officer,a .38 Colt Marine Corps revolver, Krupp field guns, etc. The kicker was the Colt 'Potato Digger' on a bicycle wheel dolly pulled by the naval shore party
The Marines look spiffy as hell! The drill is so good that I can't believe that it was a bunch of Hollywood extras. Must have been real  Marines having a great time. I believe that the Marine Captain was a serving Officer once.

Teddy shoots a Martini-Henry with scope, a Mauser '98 and a Winchester '95; presumably his favoured .405.

Lots of great moments between the stars, interspersed with some great action shots. The big gun fight near the end is worth watching the rest of the movie.

Best line goes to Sean Connery, 'Risouli The Magnificent", to his aide after his revolt is defeated -

"Is there not one thing in your life it was worth losing everything for?"

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
JimBob
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:27:41 pm »

I would point out that the "Shores of Tripoli" in the Marine Corp hymn is in reference to the battle of Derna in 1805 during the First Barbary War not an incident during the first Roosevelt's administration.The song itself was being sung as early as the mid 1800s.
Shotgun Franklin
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:05:33 pm »

A fine movie. I thought the battle scenes, the raid at the start, the occupation of the palace and the final fight, were well done. The settings were for sure wide open spaces.
It's another historical event that has not received much notice at the movies.

Yes, I do have more facial hair now.
John Frederick Bell
Usual Suspect
Top Active Citizen

Former Boiler Plate Rat

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:43:47 am »

I believe the U.S. Marines should have been carrying straight-pull Navy Lee rifles.  So far as I've read this didn't happen because there were insufficient numbers available, and so the production went ahead with the incorrect (but more widely available) Krags. 

No way is that a knock on a fine movie, though.   Cool

"Get it together?  Lady, last time my people got it together we needed most of Robert Lee's backyard to bury the evidence."
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

If you can't do it horseback it's not worth doin

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 06:40:46 am »

The double time march of Capt Jeromes two companies was a classic scene.

Brian Keith was a great actor.... Like Duval Seleck Wayne he really played his parts well....

"the ringin' of my jinglebobs is music to my soul"

Impeach the Moron's in the Whitehouse SOON!

'uva uvam vevindo varia fit"< It's a Motto

'Molon Labe"

A waist is a terrible thing to mind

Ol Gabe
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:02:46 am »

Just a couple of short notes here, not wanting to change any opinions but it is nice to know...
The movie was based on a historically correct incident, m/l, however, most people don't know that the Perdicaris role was actually not the wife but the husband who was captured and held for ransom. Teddy R.'s excitement to help was somewhat skewed in that Perdicaris was technically not an American citizen at the time having renounced his ties in Greece, where his roots came from. Perdicaris had married Ellen/'Eden' away from her first husband while he was away on business, quite a caddish thing to do in those days.
For more details than you think you might want to know, please do a Google search on 'Ion Perdicaris', plenty of info and links and after reading the data it might make you wonder why the producers and writers bothered to make the changes as the original story is just about as good as the Hollywood version.  
John Milius did a fantastic job on the film and the battle scenes are those of legend and solid Hollywood.
Best regards and good researching!
'Ol Gabe
Rafe Covington
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 12:00:59 pm »

One of my all time favorite movies

Rafe

If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 03:35:00 pm »

Thanks for the insights and corrections, one and all!

Can anyone confirm that the actor who played the marine Officer really was once a serving Officer? And what about those Sailors and Marines that formed the shore party?
NO WAY were those Hollywood extras! Their drill and deportment was immaculate compared to the usual sloppy 'soldier' behaviour in movies. It was crisp and precisely done, especially breaking into 'Double March", the return to "Quick March", the "Mark Time", the "Halt", followed by "Enemy to Your Left - Face!"  Outstanding!

I may have some of those orders wrong, but anyone who has served must have felt the same thrill I did.

Brian Keith's portrayal of Teddy R. matched Connery's "Lord of the Riff". Anyone catch the type of the British revolver carried by the gallant gent at the beginning? Looked a lot like my Tranter .450.

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
JimBob
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:31:07 pm »

Steve Kanaly who played the Marine officer was not a serving Marine,however he is a Viet Nam vet having served in the First Air Cav as a radio operator.The Director of the film,John Milius,is known for getting things right like the scene you are talking about.He's also a gun collector and shooter,that's how he orginally met Kanaly,at the shooting range.Kanaly's face is best known from being the ranch foreman on "Dallas".
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:29:37 am »

Thanks JimBob

The reason I think that the shore party was comprised of real military men is the fact that after they completed a movement, they stayed  'put'. I'm ex-Regular Army and I know the wrath that descends upon a soldier for the slightest movement or correction after a drill movement! I've been on both the receiving and giving ends of that.
As a military re-enactor, that is the hardest thing to get across to a wanna-be play soldier. No one notices a foot fault or misplaced hand on a rifle stock until it is moved. A Drill Sgt. ALWAYS notices!

Another movie that made use of professional soldiers was "Paths of Glory" (1957) with Kirk Douglas. France would not let Stanley Kubrick make the movie within her borders, so it was filmed in West Germany. According to the jacket of the copy I have, the French 'Poilus" were 600 border police (Bundesgrenzschutz Polizei) - say that after a few steins of beer!

Their drill and deportment was immaculate, setting a high standard for others to follow.

The Elderly Kid
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 11:10:41 pm »

Jack Webb's "The DI" used real Marines for most of the nonstaring roles. Most of those bootcamp recruits were sergeants in real life.
Books OToole
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Michael Tatham

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:32:07 pm »

According to the director's comentary on the DVD, the movie was filmed in Spain.  The Marine contingient was made up of a handful of U.S. Marines and the rest were Spaninsh Special Forces troopers.

Books

G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:13 pm »

Makes sense all 'way round ....

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Books & Movies (Moderator: Texas Lawdog)  |  Topic: "The Wind & The Lion" « previous next »
Jump to: