Author Topic: How to make bread like Grandma  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
How to make bread like Grandma
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:21:18 PM »
A recent conversation with a friend at the table in our breakfast nook brought this subject up.  He had stopped over to sample some of my sourdough rye bread and to take a couple loaves home.  He was telling me about the rye bread a friend of his Grandma used to bake.  He had obtained the recipe after her death from the daughter.  The daughter had mentioned she had tried many times but could not make it come out right.  DJ mentioned his Mom and Grandma had tried it and could not get it just right.

My mind rewound to something from years ago, my brother loves homemade bread, but he had told me one time that it was good, very good, but just didn’t taste like Grandma’s bread did and he was right.  He wanted to know if I had Grandma’s recipe, but she never used one that I ever seen, not for just plain old white bread, she just mixed it up, they way I do it, a couple tablespoon’s of lard, maybe a teaspoon or so of  sugar, a dash of salt and work in enough flour for a stiff dough.

Well as I started traveling around with my cook camp, I noticed that my bread tasted different at different places, not a lot, but it was different, none of which was exactly like Grandma’s.   I realized the places I went to had well water, and depending on where it was, it tasted different.   I also remember a class I had on water treatment years before I remembered something from the class, a lot of national brands of many items uses water treatment to make them taste the same where ever they are made.  I also remembered Grandma’s bread was never quite the same after she moved to town. 

What I did the next time we were hunting at the farm was to use the water out of the well.  The well has very old pipes and a slight nitrate level, not serious, but we just haul our drinking water from Lincoln and refill at the neighbors who has a much better well.  At supper time, my brother went over to the dutch oven full of bread, got himself a couple large pieces, covered it with butter and took a bite.  The look on his face was priceless, “you did find Grandma’s recipe!”  I had to tell him again, there was no written down recipe I’d ever seen.  “You had better remember what you did different, this is Grandma’s bread.”  I explained what I had done and now when I’m at the farm I use the water from the well.

So back to my friend and the bread he wants again 40 some years later.   The lady who made the bread lived just west of Lincoln, in an area that had wells at the time.  I have a co-worker who lives a short distance from where the lady lived, and my friend has a well, I have 2 one gallon jugs of water from her well.  I tasted it; it is different from Lincoln water which comes from over 40 miles away.   Lincoln’s water requires very little treatment and tastes almost exactly like water from wells in that same area with no treatment, but it does taste a noticeable difference from the well water I now have. 

DJ explained the bread of his youth as best he could, on Thursday I will try to see if I can duplicate the bread, seems like a simple half steel ground rye, half white (He remembered it called for blended flour, (a half and half mix that used to be sold locally.) with no caraway or other seeds and a very small amount of sugar, he remembers it has just a little from the recipe, perhaps a teaspoon of white sugar. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Durango Flinthart

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Forty miles a day on beans and hay...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How to make bread like Grandma
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »
OK, now that we have bread How about Grandma's Kuchen, Kringle Ring, and Bread & Butter Pickles. I miss those too. ::)
When the cambrian measures were forming they promised purpetual peace. They swore if we gave up our weapons the wars of the tribes, they would cease, but when we disarmed they enslaved us and delivered us bound to our foe and the Gods of the copybook headings said, "Stick to the devil you know." Kipling

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »
OK, now that we have bread How about Grandma's Kuchen, Kringle Ring, and Bread & Butter Pickles. I miss those too. ::)

Same thing, use the same water. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:41:06 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
My wife makes one of those Stolens(sp) for us at Christmas time and decorates it with red and green cheries. It tastes good with Cawfee on a cool Christmas morning.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
I read an article long ago about New York Pizza and why it never tastes as good made the same elsewhere.  Jist of the article, it was the water.    As a kid I was real sensitive about flavors, Dad would joke about how well I could taste things.  We moved several times before I was 7, each time it would take me several months before I would drink the new water.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
> What I did the next time we were hunting at the farm was to use the water out of the well. 
> The well has very old pipes and a slight nitrate level, not serious

Ahhhh that's what's missing! that faint hint of pooh  er fertilizer nitrates!

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:53:01 PM »
> What I did the next time we were hunting at the farm was to use the water out of the well. 

yhs
prof marvel

Not really, it's the heavy lime content left from a vast in-land sea in the Jurassic period, a very heavy lime content from down in the limestone layer, covered with debris drug down from Wisconsin during the last Ice Age.  Were about 4-5 miles north of the terminal morass of the Wisconsioan  glacier.   Lincoln gets it's water from sands near the Platte River and the neighbor we get the water from is across the creek and in a different water table that has an iron content.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:13:33 PM »
>Not really, it's the heavy lime content left from a vast in-land sea in the Jurassic period,

ah the lime filter is far more reassuring!
I have had wells with fairly high iron ,that seemed to make the best coffee!
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »

yhs
prof marvel

LOL I well remember going down to the farm for the summer as a kid,took about two weeks to get used to the well water.Made sure the cob bucket in the backhouse was filled at all times. ;D

Offline TallBaldBellied

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »

LOL I well remember going down to the farm for the summer as a kid,took about two weeks to get used to the well water.Made sure the cob bucket in the backhouse was filled at all times. ;D

We had two cribs.  One for red, and a smaller one for white.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com