Author Topic: What's New?  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What's New?
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:27:19 PM »
Is anything happening at USFA? 

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: What's New?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »
Hopefully more is going on there than has been going on here of late!  It would be nice to know what, if anything, is happening at USFA these days.  My local dealer has had guns on order for several months now.  When I dropped by the other day all he had to say was, "no word from USFA yet."
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:34:57 AM »
I definitely know that gun orders from USFA take a while, and that was ok with me with the anticipation of the quality I had grown to expect from USFA.  I am a little concerned about the loss of steam and momentum as of late.  The articles, gun reveiws and write-ups, advertising, and new developments have just plain stopped for two years now.  I was initially impressed to see USFA working on ideas to take old west guns through a natural progression of updates made possible with today's technology, like the 12/22.  All momentum seems to have just seized up and fallen quiet.  That momentum was carrying its fans through some great discussions, which was very positive in the beginning, but as it seemed USFA veered away from the center of that great momentum it had built, it's fan base also veered away into tangents of discussions that were not all to favorable.  Most importantly the thrust of the momentum lost steam, and its fans from talking.  It took USFA 15 years to build the head of steam it had lost in only a couple of years.  I sure hope that USFA has taken notice, and has the ability to do something about it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:43:52 PM »

Offline wileycoyote

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »

well stated. a sad state of affairs...

Offline North Bender

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:49:50 PM »
Hello all,

It seems when I check in at this forum I hear only bad news!!  I've been way out of town - Is USFA that down?  Does anyone here actually communicate with the product owners so that they to can pass along some real news?  Is the company working on things that are delaying backorders?  Is their output way down or are they actually keeping up with past production figures?  Just because your guy doesn't have USFA guns doesn't mean USFA has downsized.

I'm a cheerleader for USFA not a critic.  My revolvers can attest to the store of craftsman they have on board.  Until someone posts the real State of the Union, I hate to see all this negative speculation.  Post some real info or .... some photos of your guns.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:51:51 AM »
Hello all,

It seems when I check in at this forum I hear only bad news!!  I've been way out of town - Is USFA that down?  Does anyone here actually communicate with the product owners so that they to can pass along some real news?  Is the company working on things that are delaying backorders?  Is their output way down or are they actually keeping up with past production figures?  Just because your guy doesn't have USFA guns doesn't mean USFA has downsized.

I'm a cheerleader for USFA not a critic.  My revolvers can attest to the store of craftsman they have on board.  Until someone posts the real State of the Union, I hate to see all this negative speculation.  Post some real info or .... some photos of your guns.

I think a main reason why people here are critical of USFA these days is the very fact they DO NOT communicate with their customers. 
All we can go on is speculation and rumors since that is what the fellows at USFA leave us with.  I seem to recall a time when Gary Granger actually came on this forum every once and a while to comment.  We have seen none of that for at least the past several years.  The critical remarks that are posted here are the fault of the company.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »
Gary participated here on our forum right up until USFA started their own on their web site.  When USFA eliminated their forum, in June of last year, Gary never returned.

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »
I purchased two sets of USFA revolers from Jim Finch(Long Hunter) and he became so upset with the going ons that he dropped his taking of any orders for the guns.
The owner has always been a fickle person to say the least. Instead of making the revolvers that made him noticed in the gun world he would go off in another direction.
It is well known that he has shut his entire line down to start another hair brained idea. Remember the multi-colored teflon finished guns in various shades of camo colors.
I was so lucky to have the plant make my Rodeo's in 44-40, which Jim and I tried for two years to have done.
He refused on the bases that it would keep buyers from purchasing the Premiums if he made the Rodeo in 44WCF.
Finally one day Jim called me and said he had talked them into it, although I would have to pay a extra $100 per gun as a upcharge. Jim called it a ripping off the customer charge.
I ponied up and they came with just a three digit serial number with a S in front for Special. It took about 5 months if I remember correctly.
It's my understanding that the plant is producing medical equipment of some sort. I have no idea if this is true or another rumor. 
It's a sad day that we had a gun maker who was able to make a gun that was as good as any ever made in the USA and then stop production.
I shoot my guns at as many as three SASS matches a month and have never had one stoppage in three years.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »
This ties in with what I'd heard off-line from a few well-placed guys in the business about the production line being shut down, and the workers being let go - with remaining weapons being assembled by what was left of management.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »
That's indeed sad.  I'll cherish the three I have and would no doubt have purchased another.

It's just odd that a boss would build as fine of revolver as made then drop it down the toilet hole. I wish someone with equal desire for quality had just bought him out.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:15 AM »
If only Doug D.  had continued taking his Ritalin. 

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:15:16 AM »
The shame of it is the disassembly of a team of people who practiced their trade enough they became experienced craftsmen and true artisans.  I have revolvers made with walnut grips that the fit is so perfect it is unbelievable.  The persons doing metal polishing definitely became experts.  A truly beautiful assembly of craftsmen that used today's technologies with yesterday's traditional craftsmanship in a truly American way.  When I toured the factory, it was full of buzzing as workers were all very busy doing their thing.  A whole shop of people trying their hardest to do their best work, all working to produce something special.  It took years to build that.  Gary has always chosen his comments to never be negative and would not say anything against his employer, but you could feel a sense of frustration.   

Offline texagun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »
All of the comments and rumors I'm reading in this thread bring to mind Mark Twain's comment when he read of his untimely death in the New York Journal:

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

I wouldn't count USFA out just yet.  Didn't anyone read M. McCracken's post on another related thread?

"Don't know if anyone noticed this from USFA's "Ask the President."

Question: Submitted on: 12/3/2011 6:52:26 PM by: Gary D
I am still anticpating the return of your Omnipotent revolver. Any thought of it being brought back? Thanks.

Answer: Gary- not before we finish re-tooling the SAA line!"

Maybe a little patience will pay of better than spreading a bunch of unfounded rumors.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 07:11:34 AM »
All of the comments and rumors I'm reading in this thread bring to mind Mark Twain's comment when he read of his untimely death in the New York Journal:

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

I wouldn't count USFA out just yet.  Didn't anyone read M. McCracken's post on another related thread?

"Don't know if anyone noticed this from USFA's "Ask the President."

Question: Submitted on: 12/3/2011 6:52:26 PM by: Gary D
I am still anticpating the return of your Omnipotent revolver. Any thought of it being brought back? Thanks.

Answer: Gary- not before we finish re-tooling the SAA line!"

Maybe a little patience will pay of better than spreading a bunch of unfounded rumors.

The People at USFA are the only ones that can stop the "rumors".  They have chosen to remain quiet on the subject.   All it would take would be for Gary Granger to come on here with a one or two line statement indicating what is happening over there. 

Offline texagun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 08:16:52 AM »

The People at USFA are the only ones that can stop the "rumors".  They have chosen to remain quiet on the subject.   All it would take would be for Gary Granger to come on here with a one or two line statement indicating what is happening over there. 

I think Gary already responded in the phone call cited above:

"....not before we finish re-tooling the SAA line!"

He has no responsibility to come on this forum to answer a bunch of rumors being spread on the internet.  If you really want a definitive answer, give him a call and ask him.

Offline jphendren

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »
I agree, USFA has not said much since the rumor mill started churning.  Which somewhat leads us to the conclusion that there is something wrong at the factory.  I've sent some questions to Doug via his "Ask the President" link, we'll see if he answers them.  I surely hope that USFA does not go out of business.  I own quite a few revolvers including Colt SAA's, Freedom Arms, USFA's, etc., and USFA's are the best being made today that I have seen.  They are the only maker that uses the correct serifed fonts of the 19th century, and numbers that are curly (sorry, don't know the correct term).  Colt SAA's are nice, they just don't look/feel like a 19th century SAA, USFA's are very close.  Maybe one of us should send this thread to Doug, maybe he is unaware that their is concern out here.

Jared

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 06:45:13 PM »
I decided to take a different approach and e-mailed Jeff Quinn, who runs the gunblast.com web site.  Jeff has, in the past, run several very complimentary reviews of USFA products.  In a nutshell, I outlined the rumors that are being bantered about here on the forum and mentioned that dealers around the country seem to be having difficulties getting their orders from USFA filled in a timely manner.  I asked Jeff if he could tell us what is going on at USFA.  Within a couple of hours I received the following reply;

I wish i knew! USFA has been shrinking for the past three years. i do not know what is the problem, as the demand is still high for their firearms.

Jeff

So... We are still in the dark! 

Offline wileycoyote

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »

thnx for trying CJF.

looks like we're all still in the dark....  :-\

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
A glimmer of light, albeit a small one.  Just got back from my local dealer.  He has had six guns on order from USFA for the past seven or eight months.  This past week he received one of the guns.  A cch/blue, 4 & 3/4, 44-40.  So at least something is going on at USFA!

The result of today's trip to the gun shop?  I traded two 3rd gen. Colts (a .357 and a 44-40, both nickel) for a Colt Bisley that was manufactured in 1912, the last year of Bisley production.  Beautiful silver/gray patina finish with no metal pitting or blemishes.  Grips are the original hard rubber and are about 80%.

Offline Slainte

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »
Just sent in Grip & Top Strap came back within 2 weeks with a one piece walnut grip perfectly fitted.

Thanks USFA & Gary

Keep up the good work

Slainte

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com