Author Topic: I give up -- Gonna have to clean guns DURING match  (Read 12688 times)

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I give up -- Gonna have to clean guns DURING match
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »
1860: If you are going to melt the lube out why don't you just buy them unlubed, it would more than likely be cheaper.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 06:32:54 AM »
Slim,

Next time I will-the original lube probably dried out a little, I bought quite a few and don't shoot Cowboy matches so they are lasting quite awhile.  I still have some 45s that are pre-styrofoam tray era...LOL...I don't shoot 45-Bp all that much...Great bullets from a great pard...I'll be intouch..

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 01:08:16 PM »
Those 45's must be over 6 years old. I only didn't use the trays for a month before I gave up on the loose bulk shipping. How old are the 38's, the lube is a different formula now.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:37:22 AM »

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:13 AM »
Thanks for all the help you guys offered in this tread.

I followed Jefro's advice and purchased an Otis cleaning cable.  They have a "starter" set for 15 bucks and that worked out just fine.  Boy, howdy, they are sure proud of the full kits!!

I used the Otis cable after every stage, or two when posse chores piled up.  It worked flawlessly.  It was simple, fast, and safe to use.  I didn't have to move the gun from the cart to operate it and it took less than a minute to carry out the whole operation.

Thanks especially to those who have experienced the "February Foul Out" and took the time to report it here.

I did use some fresh bullets from Slim this weekend and they seemed to perform better than the brand I used for the match that started this whole conversation.  But, in spite of the new bullets, I still opted to clean the gun rather than risk the match.  Got the first place award to prove the concept.

Thanks everyone for all your help and support.

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
Hmmmm, interesting threads.   I just started to convert over to Black Powder. OK, not quite there with the real holy black as a buddy of mine gave me 1/2 dozen cans of pryodex. What can I say, free powder is free powder.  BUT I have had a lot of success with it.  My rifle is a uberti 73, 24 inch barrel, 45 colt.  I started out using Lymans 250 grain cowboy bullet (452-664) but with spg, (It does have a large than normal lube grove, though not quite as big as DD)  and 32 grains of pryodex, WLP pistol primer.  One thing I make sure of is a day or two before the match, I pretty much scrub out the barrel. Yeah Yeah, I've been know to "over clean" my firearms. (Gunny Sgt Camp, my DI years ago would be proud)  Its a Marine thing. Then I run a couple of patches saturated with bore butter and let it sit overnight. Then run a clean patch thru it.  My brass is RP and I've annealed the mouths with an annealing maching I got years ago when I was shooting NRA High Power.   I've made it through about 150 to 160 rounds with no problems.  Before I started annealing, I'd get all kinds of blow by into the action that I's have to stop and do a quick cleaning about the 4 or 5 th stage.  Not any more.

I do have DD ROA mold also (the new on too)  I use that primarily for my pistol loads in my vaqueros and my ROA.  Its about 210 grains.  I havnt tried it in the rifle.  I have a preference for a longer heavier bullet in the rifle.

The key to my world is bullet lube, lots of it, and barrel prep
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline Yakima Red

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15539
  • NCOWS #: 1169
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
It's not the humidity, it's the lube. Do what DD does.
Director, Colters Hell Justice Committee WSAS.
Wyoming Single Action Shooters.
SASS, NCOWS, NRA Life Endowment.
Certified NRA Firearms Instructor.
2008 NRA Wyoming volunteer of the year.
Creator of miracles.
"Let us then...under God, trust our cause to our swords. ~Samuel Adams

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »
August, You have received a ton of info, some good and some not so good by trying to say switch over to a play like powder. I hope you stay with the only true powder made and leave the fakes alone.
They don't have the fire, sparks or even the same sound. They only produce smoke.
If you want smoke then buy a cigar.
The post by w44wcf on the Swiss is correct and it is the best powder when it comes to fouling but that price keeps me from using it on a regular bases.
Anytime you have fouling at the end of the barrel, it's telling you to look at the lube. I also read what you said about the humidity and I only wish I could see that humidity in Louisiana come July- August.
The new batch of KIK that is sold by Powder Inc has shown some good results with accuracy and clean up. w44wcf did find that it still is not up to Swiss standards but is an improvement over standard Goex.
I have been using it with great results.
Have you ever used a lube by the name of NASA? I know you are on the Cast Boolits forum at times and should know about it. If you have not then let me know and I will send you some free of charge to try.
My mail is dshultz47@gmail .com
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 02:21:25 PM »
NASA lube is good stuff but the main problem with it is the supplier, up in Alaska. He is on his own time schedule and sometimes things take a while. Plus it looks like he is selling out most of his business, so not sure if the NASA is going to be available in the future. He only takes e-mail, he decided to go offline a few months ago, but if he is going to still make it it is good lube for BP.

Offline Col. Cornelius Gilliam

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
As some have mentioned above, the problem is the low humidity.

I shoot black powder (the real stuff) for every match, a couple matches a month, year round.  The extreme heat and extreme cold are the only times I have any problems with fouling.

I've experimented with different black powder brands (no subs for me), lube type and bullets.  The best solution was much easier and simpler.

For CAS matches, my solution is very simple and works extremely well:  Just use a little pump mist/spray bottle full of water and mist the muzzle end after each stage with a couple pumps of water.  The fouling absorbs the moisture and stays soft, no need to clean it out every stage.

The key to shooting black powder is to keep the fouling moist.  A couple blasts of water mist does that great!

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 08:37:04 AM »
Springfield, You and I have been good friends for about 5 years now, but you are not up to current stats on the NASA and Bullshop.
I have contacted Tina(Dan's wife who has always been a part of the business) first by snail mail back in Nov. of last year and ordered what NASA I needed. She sent it out very fast. Several members of the CAST BOOLITS forum have made several purchases of the Bullplate Sprue lube.
She is now back on the Internet at the same address as is listed and I just made another order this past week for more NASA for some local friends. She answered my mail with in two hours of it being sent.
She advised me that she is no longer selling the NASA in stick form as she just sold the last ones. NASA is still being sold in block form by the pound for $17.50 plus shipping via THE USPS.
She is using the sells to make a living so as you have a business and understand that she needs for everyone to know that the products are available at this time.
Take Care Your Friend and Customer David
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 11:23:41 PM »
That's good to know. All I saw was her selling stocks of bullets and lube and selling off many boxes of raw wheelweights. Also a few reloading items like lubrisizers.  Guess she is just getteing rid of extra stock and not selling off the business. I still have 15 bottles of sprue lube so I haven't done business with them lately. They have always had a superior product at a good price. Thanks for the update, nice to know she is back on the internet, that has to help business. 

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 12:22:35 PM »
Guess she changed her mind.

"Funeral arrangements for The Bullshop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bullshop ( business not person) is scheduled for demise in July when we plan to move. There will be no forwarding address and there will be no re-up here at CB."

Offline Buzzard II

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »
You may have a couple of problems.  Your bullet may not be holding enough lube, and your lube may not be up to snuff.  I would try Dastardly Dan's Big Lube bullet and then some SPG lube. If you haven't already, slug your barrel too!  It works for me!  Good shooting!  Bob
SMOKLESS POWDER IS JUST A PASSING FAD!
NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
SASS LIFE MEMBER-AKA "BUCK HUNTER"
N-SSA  CO. QM SGT- 1st NJ LIGHT ARTILLERY-BATTERY B
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA LIFE MEMBER
NRA CERTIFIED PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
NRA CERTIFIED RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
FORMER N.J. HUNTER ED. INSTRUCTOR/TEAM LEADER

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »
 Yes bullshop's Nasa will help keep fouling soft and rehydrates easily even in the low humidity and hot temps we shoot in occasionally.
 As to the Nasa's availability, I just ordered a couple pounds from them and when I emailed back that it had been recieved I thanked them , and conveyed my best wishes to them in their future endeavors, and that I hoped to be able to find a lube I liked as well.
 Dan his ownself wrote back and said" do not dispair friend we have hopes of going right on with the bullet lubes, only it will be marketed thru a 3rd party and not direct".
 So hang in there bullshop lube fans, all is maybe not lost, but just incase ordering a couple of pounds right now, surely won't hurt you or them...

As to the op's problem with the 38 special, get off the 2f, it's to slow for that small cartridge, and going to slow with bp can cause as much fouling problems as anything. Go with some 3f and you're fouling out problems may not be solved completely in high temp low humidity situatioons, but it won't be as common as it is with the 2f.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com