Author Topic: Widening the Rear Sight Notch on a NMA  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Dalion

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Widening the Rear Sight Notch on a NMA
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »
I have made quite a few modifications on my Pietta NMAs and they are shooting far in excess of my expectations.  The last mod. I am considering is widening the rear sight notch on the frame of the revolvers.  Have any of you done this and if you have, would you be so kind as to share your experience and any hints to tips you can pass on?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Widening the Rear Sight Notch on a NMA
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »
Widening the rear sights is a common mod.  The most popular width is right around .140.  If you are going to widen the rear sight the first thing to do is shoot the gun and see if the windage is off.  There are some formulas for correcting windage.  So, for example, if you determine that to get the windage correct you need to move .010" to the right when you mill or file the frame make the cut .010" to the right of the center of the original sight groove.

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:31:38 AM »
I've never been troubled by the width of the rear sight notch on any of mine. . . . But . . . the second brass one that I bought shot way to the left so I filed it to open it up and move it t the right.   Later put the long barrel on it for reenactment use and have not shot a live round thru it since.

http://www.drburkholter.com/cf19.html . . .

. . . . have also never got around to finishing the case for it . . . just too many other projects to play with. . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:31:37 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com