Author Topic: Peep Sight Question  (Read 10882 times)

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Peep Sight Question
« on: January 30, 2012, 05:59:34 PM »
I love peep sights... I have them on several non-Cowboy guns.

I want to put one on a CAS rifle. From what I gather, receiver sights are a no-no.

This leaves me with two possibilities I believe (well probably more, but I narrowed it down to two).

A Marble Arms "Improved" tang sight.

A Skinner Barrel Mounted Dovetail Sight.

I like the concept of the tang sight better than the barrel mounted sight but am wondering how much it will interfere with my grip either flipped up or flipped down.

Any thoughts?

Rick

Offline G W Wade

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Peep Sight Question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:20:10 PM »
have improved marbles on 86 win=wish i had never see one----have several regular that i wont ever get rid of .  one of my friends had marbles tang in up position when wind flipped cart-tang site went thru quarter inch plywood without lossin zero
the smell of gunpowder in the morning

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:20:26 PM »
There is the Lyman #2.  It doesn't have a windage adjustment but is good on a rifle/carbine meant for CAS shooting.  The Marbles is a bit more money but has a windage adjustment.  On both of them elevation is a threaded stem, which isn't great for longer ranges.

For long range rifles a true long range sight is essential.  The epitome of sights is the Soule type with plenty of windage, and elevation of course. It all comes down to what type of rifle you are wanting to put sights on.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:11:50 PM »

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:03 AM »
The rifle in question is a 45 Colt lever gun... not a long range gun at all. I simply prefer peep sights over more "open sights".

I am just not sure about putting a sight base where my hand usually would be.

I did discover last night that Skinner makes a screw mounted barrel mount peep sight that goes right in front of the receiver.  A few reviewers said it worked well.

Thinking... thinking.

Offline Capt. Augustus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »
I do not think the Skinner sight would be legal for SASS. There was recently a discussion concerning the Marble barrel mounted peep sight, and PWB said it was not legal. It falls under, if it is not mentioned in the rules, it is not necessarily legal, since folks are always inventing new things. They must be submitted for approval to SASS.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:03:24 AM »
The rifle in question is a 45 Colt lever gun... not a long range gun at all. I simply prefer peep sights over more "open sights".

I did discover last night that Skinner makes a screw mounted barrel mount peep sight that goes right in front of the receiver.  A few reviewers said it worked well.

Thinking... thinking.

Get a Lyman #2 or a marbles and try it out. 8) 8)          IT WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM!! :)

Oh!  If you are shooting the real gunpowder, remove the disc or you won't see the target after the first shot!! :P

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »

Thinking... thinking.

Howdy rickk, peep sights are not the best for SASS, much faster to each target with an open sight and large bead. I have the Marbles on my original 73, works great, but I don't use it for SASS. Your hand should not be a problem, for fast levering keep your thumb against the index finger knuckle, wrapping the thumb back and forth over the stock after each shot cost alota time. As Capt. Augustus noted, barrel mounted is not approved for SASS, stick with the tang. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45:11 PM »
Jefro;  To each his own, and certainly after trying it out.  By removing the disc it leaves you with the famous "ghost ring" sight which is much faster than I can shoot and much better for aging eyes.

Try it out! 8)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
I have the Marbles tang sight on every CAS rifle I own - '73 Winchester, '94 Marlin, 336 Marlin Cowboy (38-55), '92 Winchester and 2 Lightnings.  I shoot BP and would have nothing other than a tang peep sight.  I can pick up the target much easier than any other type of sight.  Once you get accustomed to them, all you do is look through the sight (your eye automatically centers itself in the rear sight) and put the front bead on the target.

I truly HATE the typical semi-buckhorn barrel sight.  It interferes too much with my sight picture.

The sight doesn't interfere with my operation of the rifle.

YMMV
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 03:49:37 PM »
Jefro;  To each his own, and certainly after trying it out.  By removing the disc it leaves you with the famous "ghost ring" sight which is much faster than I can shoot and much better for aging eyes.

Try it out! 8)
Oh I agree, removing the disk is must for SASS, and I have tried it. However most of the top shooters use a flatop deep V with a .130 Grabber front bead, gives the most unobstructed view of the targets for going fast. I'll still share the competitive tips I've learned for those who may want to know, but like you said "to each to his own" ;D

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
I am paying attention,  keep the opinions flowing.

The rifle in question is out being worked on, and it is too cold to shoot here anyway, so I am not in any rush to jump on anything.

What is on there is a Marbles Semi-Buckhorn.  It works well if I think about it, but Peeps are more instinctive... less to think about.  Of course, it needs to be legal as well.

has anyone used one of these and would it be legal?  It's only about $15 bucks and should drop right in.

http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

Rick

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »
Not sure if that peep dovetail sight is SASS legal, however, you might want to look at a full buckhorn, which is slightly open at the top of the ring. If you ignore the little sight notch at the bottom, or file it out, you get almost as good a sight picture as a full ghost ring.  So far as ghost ring sights not being fast, the best sight I've ever encountered was the apature rear and the square post front sight on an M-1 Garand. Granted, this is a receiver sight, but the optical effect is the same. (With a dot of white automobile paint on the rear of the front post square projection, such an arrangement is very fast to acquire and line up...especially in low light conditions.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 08:03:22 PM »
I am paying attention,  keep the opinions flowing.

has anyone used one of these and would it be legal?  It's only about $15 bucks and should drop right in.

http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

Rick

Howdy Rick, no that is not legal. That's the same one they were asking about on the SASS wire. Only a tang mounted peep is allowed in SASS. If yer trying to improve your SASS game try out some of the top shooters rifles in your area, I think you'll find most of them with a flatop V and a Grabber front. They don't want anything in thier sight picture except the front sight floating on top of a deep V. This is also one of the things taught in the Evil Roy Shooting School. I cut the ears off my buckhorns, then with a very small round file increased the depth of the V notch just a tiny bit. I added a Grabber on one rifle, and large Marble bead on the other, both work great. Good Luck :)

SASS Thread

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:41:53 AM »
Still listening... all good feedback,

Rick