Author Topic: What ammo box for 45/70 nose up?  (Read 13709 times)

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What ammo box for 45/70 nose up?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
Afternoon All,

As I am still trying to get the trapdoor on paper I cannot coment on what is the best ect..  But I do have a handle on 45-70 ammo boxes that sit with the base down.  Berrys MFG has a 50 rounder #411 that allow you to put them base down but they do not work for the longer bullets, I am using 405gr flat nose and they work.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:18 AM »
Now the game seems to be "king-of-the-hill"! :o  Please be positive and helpful.

Surely disagreeing with someone and giving hard earned experience in support can not be looked upon as "king-of-the-hill" or a "pissing contest"! In fact passing on information is emminently "positive and helpful", how else can we learn. Receiving advice and opinion from other shooters is how I learnt and continue to learn. You never know it all in this game....!

But for all that I do apologise to the original poster for joining in the already diverted original subject.

Hold centre (and read the wind)
Clive

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 04:20:40 AM »
I was not dismissing your empirical/practical experience. What I said was that others (including MLV) have had differing experience and that the historical record also differs.
I also gave you my personal practical experience.

As I you, but I didn't take exception to receiving it

I wasn't looking for your agreement or approval.

Of that I have no doubt

I find it interesting that you so casually dismiss the findings and opinions of MLV, a man gracious enough to give you an autographed copy of his book (a book most of us have a high regard for) and not even read it.

I have quite an extensive library of books on shooting as it would seem you do. However, rather than read them from cover to cover and memorise them, I dip into them and find useful information and try it. It may work in which case I continue to use it. It may work in which case I don't. There was an acronym oft used on Shooters, YMMV, Your Mileage May Vary, and that is so true with these old boomers.

I have conceded that you are probably a more knowledgeable and experienced long range BPCR rifleman and I'm happy that extends to your short and mid-range shooting as well.

You're so gracious

Thank you for the shooting advice.

Anytime

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:32:32 AM »

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »
Wagon Box Willy

To help get this thread back on line these are the boxes I use:

http://jandjproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=XL-20

They were the only ones I could get over here but maybe there are others. They will take 45 and 50 cal base down, and being slip lids your col or calibre is not critical. It's a pain only holding 20 but I've not been able to find anything bigger.

Hold centre (and read the wind)
Clive

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
Thanks Clive;  I like those slip top boxes.  I hold the tops sorta-secure with heavy duty elastic bands.

There is a version for .45-70 (bullet-down), but the dividers were to low.  I got the higher ones for belted mag cases and used a wood chisel to cut down the raised spacer-lugs in the lid to allow them to conform to the .45-70, etc., cases.  Some I had to shorten the lid all the way around as well.

I haven't seen any around for years.  Now I know where to get them.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com