Author Topic: Belly Guns  (Read 11841 times)

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Belly Guns
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
Concealed carry is at an all time high right now.  I, personally, have never been one to carry a small gun except as a back up... i.e. a "New York reload".  My definition of a belly gun is a large bore revolver with a short barrel.  Now in the past I have packed a 1911 along with my Colt Trooper MK V with it's 4 inch barrel.  Along with this duo, I would also sometimes slip a 38 deringer in my back pocket.  I also own a couple of 38 revolvers with 2 inch barrels and have carried them on occasion too.  
For several years I looked for the quintesential belly gun - large bore, short barrel.  For a while there wasn't too much to choose from.  There are a lot more choices available now though.  S&W has a nice 44 special out now with a short barrel.  I'm not sure if it is one of those Thunder Ranch retro guns that S&W has recently re-introduced.  Taurus has an interesting short barrel revolver out in caliber 40 S&W and they are going to release the same gun in 45acp and 9mm.  Though the 9 does not meet my definition of belly gun, the 40 and 45 certainly do.  Apparently they have some kind of spring-catch thingys on the extractor star to hold,and extact these auto-ammo rimless cartridges in the cylinders without the use of moon clips.
The belly gun I eventually bought was the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in caliber 454 Casull.  For home and vehicle protection I load it with 45 Colt loads from Corbon.  The 200 gr. JHP with the muzzle velocity rating of 1100 fps.  The 4 speed loaders I carry for it are loaded with Corbon's 225 gr. solid copper hp round with the muzzle velocity rating of 1200 fps.  (The DPX load).  It's a pretty stout load that is close to the mildest 454 load available, but I figure if I can't solve the problem with the first six rounds and I have to do a tactical re-load I'll at least be upgrading my ammo.  Friends have pointed out, rightly so, that it is quite a heavy weapon to be carrying, I rarely carry on my person these days and my so called "belly gun" is only close at hand in the house or the truck so the weight don't really matter.

So...  Your thoughts on belly guns?
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: Belly Guns
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »
About 8 years ago S&W came out with the 625-10.  I've never held one but it looks very interesting.  Lightweight scandium N-Frame, 6-shot .45acp (uses moon clips).  The barrel only extends 1" in front of the frame, but the cylinder is short and the rear of the barrel extends into the frame window to make it a 2" barrel.  At the time it was their shortest and lightest .45acp revolver.  Or, the 625-11 which is the 45LC version and weighs an additional ounce, has the full size cylinder that fills the frame window, thus a slightly shorter barrel.  I think both are kind of hard to find.

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »
You're right.  Hard to find but they are both fine examples of belly guns.  By the way,  the Hk speed loaders in 45 Colt made for the S&W 625 revolvers work quite well for the Ruger Alaskan too.

I have also carried my SAA sheriff's model on occasion.  It has a 3 inch barrel and is a 44-40 which qualifies it as a belly gun also.  I've carried my Ruger Vaquero birds head with it's 3.75 inch barrel in caliber 45 Colt.  The only problem with single action belly guns is the slow reloads associated with them.  I've practiced quick draw/dry fire with them and have found that the quickest way I can reload them is with speed strips.  I've always backed them up with the deringer in the back pocket.  That still only leads to 7 or 8 shots, depending on which revolver is carried.  I'll only load 5 into the sheriff's model but will load 6 in the Vaquero.
Like the song said, "They shoot as fast as lightning but load a might slow. 

There is another short barrel revolver out now that's worth mentioning.  The Chiappa Rhino.  Not a big bore, (357 magnum), but a very interesting gun all the same.  I would really love to shoot one of these things just to feel how different it feels from my Trooper MK V.  The gun writers say there is a lot less felt recoil and almost no muzzle flip.  It was reviewed on a couple of the gun shows on the Outdoor channel too.  Anyone own or have fired one of these?
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:30:28 PM »

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:16:41 AM »
A recent article in Combat Handguns magazine covered the Taurus belly guns that shoot the big bore semi-auto cartridges along with the Charter Arms Pit Bull revolvers of the same ilk.  Honorable mention also went to the S&W Governor and the Taurus Judge revolvers.  The Judge shoots .410 shotgun shells and 45 Colt ammo.  The Governor shoots .410s, 45 Colt and with the use of moon clips will also shoot 45 acp ammo.

Nobody on this wire has shot a Rhino???   :o

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
OK... so now Chiappa has a Rhino on the market that shoots the 40 S&W cartridge.  The one I saw a picture of had a 6 inch barrel, I think.  Now if they offer it with a short barrel and the caliber designation starts with a 4, that would qualify it as a belly gun.   ::)

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »
Not a revolver but interesting all the same.  Guncrafter Industries has come out with a commander size 1911 with the "bob-tail" treatment on the rear of the grip frame.  Caliber is the 50 GI!   :o

A quote...  I don't remember who said it originally - "Why do you carry a 45?"  "Because they don't make a 50!"   ::)

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »
Colt SAA (3rd gen). 2" barrel,  .45 Colt.

Uberti Schofields, 3.5" barrels, .45 Colt

S&W Safety Hammerless, 4th model, .38 S&W,  "Bicycle Gun"

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
Nice guns there Pancho!  Even that there medium bore S&W.   8)

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
Heritage Arms is now offering a single action revolver in 45 Colt / 410.  Don't know about barrel lengths.  Belly gun???  Hmmm.   :-\

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »
OK...  it's official.  The Rhino 40 caliber is available with the 2 inch barrel.  Another new belly gun on the market.  I checked with the local indoor range and they don't rent Rhinos.  Dang, I'd sure like to test fire one of them.   :(

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 08:39:20 AM »
OK...  so now Taurus has the "Raging Judge" which shoots 45 Colt 410 shot shells and the 454 Casull.  Amazing!   :o

Offline TallBaldBellied

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 06:13:36 PM »
My planned 'bling' belly gun will be;  The Uberti Birdshead Sherrifs model at 3.5" in .45 Colt.  Then I am going to have it nickle plated and faux ivory grips installed.  It'll be the follower to a plain jane gubmit 1911.  Shouldn't cost more than $900 or so. :o ::) ;D

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »
Sounds like a good choice to me TBB.  Keep us posted on that and maybe a pic when it's done.   ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com