Author Topic: Veggies  (Read 12383 times)

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Veggies
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 09:09:04 AM »
'Sprouts have been a childhood favorite. Many an' arguement over them with my siblings ::)
Had them mostly steamed a little s/p butter with Holliandaise sause or lots of garlic chips.
I could eat any veggie 'sept a banana squash :P
Don't wear out yer shirt collar lookin' fer the hindsight
~Eddie Adamek~ Trick Roper
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »
I tired this last year on the grill,  I liked it someone else here did not.

I was good with it until she put the barbecue sauce in there.  I grilled cabbage last summer with just salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic and it was good.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
How about the Weight Watchers ZeroPoints Veggie Soup?

Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time to table: 1 1/4 hour
Makes 9 cups

6 cups broth

Cooking spray
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/2 cabbage, chopped
1/2 pound frozen green beans
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large zucchini, diced

Bring the broth to a boil in the microwave. (This is a time-saving tip that can be skipped if there's no hurry.)

Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the zucchini and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to MEDIUM and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add the zucchini and cook until the zucchini are tender. Serve and enjoy!

SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:45:43 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »

I was good with it until she put the barbecue sauce in there.  I grilled cabbage last summer with just salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic and it was good.

Replace it with a shot r 3 of good Kentucky Bourbon ;D

Sod Buster I see Trinity did not approve your recipe ;D
Mathew 5.9

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »
How about the Weight Watchers ZeroPoints Veggie Soup?

It is time to make a huge pot of veggie soup.  I do have to have a little beef in mine for flavor though.  I use the leanest round steak that I can find and cut it into about 1/2 pieces.  In the summer time I make it using fresh veggies and it is ohhh so good!
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 09:57:18 AM »
The best veggie soup was what Grandma used to make in the summer, what ever was in the garden, never the same as before.  Best when she bought an ox-tail.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
Gotta agree on the ox-tail...grannies knew best :D
It's so expensive though now!!
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
Ox tail soup is a delicacy that I have not tried. The warm weather that we've had the last few days, cooking soups and stews is more for cold weather.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
TLD  Ox- tails were mostly used for broth and it was considered a "cheap cut".
Has it's own favor for veggie soup
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 06:53:01 PM »
Somebody gave me one one time that hadn't been cut up, my ex thought I was cuttin' up a snake.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 07:07:24 AM »
used to be able to get ox tails and tongue for next to nothing.  I would buy them at an amish butcher for a song and my roommates would all turn up their noses.  First braised oxtails I made, the noses came down a notch and they all dug in.   Took about a month of me eating tongue before they started lowering their noses, by the end of our five years (too much partying added the extra year) and we were buying 6 tongues a month.  They all call and complain to me about the price of it now.

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 08:25:46 AM »
Used to eat alot of tongue sammiches as a kid. My dad always lked to "creep us out"
Only thing I wouldn't eat was liver n' onions missed 2 meals..guess I won ::)
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »
Miz Letty, I'm with you on the Liver and onions, Tongue and ox-tail really doesn't interest me either. I aquired a taste for "mountain oysters" when I worked on a ranch. A lot of folks are not too enthused with the idea of eating them. I have one disclaimer, just because they pop open when you are cookin over a fire, doesn't mean they are ready to eat. Batter them and fry in a skillet is the best way, and serve with cream gravy.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
How did a thread on VEGGIES end up talking about OX Tails, Livers, and Tongues?  ;D
Next you will be discussing Kidney Pie.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »
I like kidney pie!  Like chittlins though, you need to have it prepared by someone who knows how to clean them, otherwise they taste like ####.   I also like liver and onions, my favorite prep of liver is 6 to 10 hour soak in salty water, pat dry, pepper heavily and grill over wood coals. mmmmmm    I have a toy poodle that has the heart of a bull mastif.  Grilled liver brings it out in him and he will fight for every bite.   We raised our own food mostly through the 80s when I went to college and dad no longer had slave labour.  We gardened, and raised animals.  I still can things pretty regularly.   We did not let anything go to waste, so rocky mountain oysters were usually pork, but occassionally we made our own steers.  Also, if you like chicken liver, you would love rabbit liver, just pinch off the gall from it without it breaking.  If it breaks, toss it as inedible.   

Now, back to Ms Eonich's orginal question.  Frozen pearl onions are great in additon to the afore mentioned frozen veg.   Easiest way to get them for coq au vin.   

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
Sorry Sod Buster...yes, we did hi-jack the "veggie" thread with a meat eater conversation. ::)
The "organ meats" were a little strong and grainy for me. Grew up eatin' beef tripe in menudo...sign of a "true blue" pepper belly  :o
Ancestors were butchers an' didn't waste much
Love the pearl onions with frozen peas, green beans or any other green veggie.
Frozen if not fresh vegtables are the best IMO, only that less sodium in the can versions and you can add many more herbs and spices
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 03:11:09 PM »
Back to the kale, it is good stuff and we grow it in our garden.  It's a great bed for a salad.  We also do roasted sperry grass which is simple, no boiling.  Just lay it out on a cookie sheet with a little olive oil and seasoning and bake til tender.  I call it finger food.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »
Hi,

I am sitting here at the 'puter eating a VERY non-traditional version of Del's Cabbage

First, I had been given all these leeks and never had the guts to use them. The consensus at the grocery store is that they should be parboiled, so that is what I did with the rounds of leek medallions that I made .

Then, as the bacon was browning, I poured the leeks into the frying pan .... yes I said frying pan> I then poured the shredded cabbage all over the bacon and onions

Then I added about 1 1/4 cup of water to the melange put it baclk on med high, and  covered it with a steamer top that had holes in it ....and cooked it for about 20 minutes and Voila!

Barring having  an oriental cowboy on the roundup, I am guessing this is probably the first time that Del's recipe has been eaten with chopstick, but it is like the two were meant for each other!

How Droll!, How Delicious!

Thanks Del!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 10:36:04 PM »
Ain't my recipe at all, just good old time food that is timeless, and I can't prove it, but I doubt that is the first time it's been eaten with chopsticks.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2012, 01:59:43 AM »
Delmonico,

Thanks anyway ... it was great!

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com