Author Topic: "Broken Trail"  (Read 6547 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Broken Trail"
« on: January 19, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »
I enjoyed the movie "Broken Trail" so much that I got the book out of the library. Like most novels, it's even better 'cause the 'pictures' are better .... ;>)

The rifle carried by 'Tom' (Print's nephew) is described a "cut-down Remington Rider", no mention of calibre. This being the post-Civil war era, I was wondering what pistols would be used. I couldn't recall from the movie.

Well, 'Tom' has occasion to shoot a lame horse and he took from his saddle bag, "an old La Mat .44". That may not be the correct nomenclature, but it's a welcome change from the usual "Colt horse pistol" or "Dragoon Colt". After using it, "Tom rewrapped the revolver, first removing the spent cartridge and replacing it with a new load."

Really? OK, he had a Le Mat conversion, as there would be no 'cartridge' to remove from a percussion gun. Still a good read when it's -44C out there ..... ;>)   -40 is where Fahrenheit and Centigrade meet. Starting to feel 'crisp' out there.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Durango Flinthart

• Top Active Citizen
  • Forty miles a day on beans and hay...
  • Liked:
Re: "Broken Trail"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
There were pinfire LeMats of approx. .44 cal, how many of these could have made it to the American frontier in the mid 1800s??
When the cambrian measures were forming they promised purpetual peace. They swore if we gave up our weapons the wars of the tribes, they would cease, but when we disarmed they enslaved us and delivered us bound to our foe and the Gods of the copybook headings said, "Stick to the devil you know." Kipling

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »
I dunno. Whaddya think ... ?

Later in the book it mentions Colt Dragoons in the hands of some characters.  Print is said to carry a "Colt .44". That could be one of a number of options.

In chapter 21, the main characters are sitting around the fire after supper. 'Print' is regaling the group with his Cowboy logic and worldly knowledge. There is more wisdom in this chapter than there is in other entire books! Pithy sayings abound .....
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:31:29 AM »

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:13:05 AM »
I thought this story was set in like 1897?Those guns would have been old relics by that date.I noticed in the fight at the end with the baddies Tom's rifle was sans front sight,kinda odd.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »
Yeah, the time line is turn of the century. Print and Tom were taking horses to a buyer (Moncrieff) who was supplying horses to the Brits for the Boer War.

Cowboys being dirt poor, it isn't surprising that they'd have old, out dated weapons; especially old soldiers. As for Tom's 'cut down Remington', since it was a saddle gun, he probably didn't miss the front sight.

I have a pal with a 'cut down' Martini-Henry rebarreled to 45-70. Before fitting sights, he bench fired some 100 yd groups to see if he had a shooter. He shot groups he couldn't believe!

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:39:25 PM »
One of my favourite shows. Hard to beat Duvall and Church is a great pick for this as well..
dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »
I just finished the book and I seem to have missed the part where it mentions Tom's Remington lacks a front sight .....

Can anyone give me a clue about that chapter and verse ..... ?

If I've enjoyed a book, I seldom see the movie; and vice versa. But, like the Jeff bridges remake of "True Grit", I enjoyed both as the movies followed the books verbatim.

Duvall is the kind of man you'd like for a friend; a role model in any era.

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
I just finished the book and I seem to have missed the part where it mentions Tom's Remington lacks a front sight .....

Duvall is the kind of man you'd like for a friend; a role model in any era.

My remark about the front sight being missing was concerning the rifle used in the movie.

Duvall is great,it took him some time to achieve a measure of fame and stature but he's great.Yea,the kind of guy you wouldn't mind having as a next door neighbor.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:45:47 AM »

My remark about the front sight being missing was concerning the rifle used in the movie.

Duvall is great,it took him some time to achieve a measure of fame and stature but he's great.Yea,the kind of guy you wouldn't mind having as a next door neighbor.

I may have mentioned this in another thread, so bear with me. After watching Open Range, I realized that Robert Duvall is a national treasure and became determined to watch as many of his movies as possible. So I went out and rented Assasination Tango. It seems Duvall is a fan of the tango and decided to make a movie with that in the title. It is the WORST ! Just goes to show you what happens, when you become so powerful in Hollywood, that the producer allows you to put your girlfriend in the movie.

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »
I may have mentioned this in another thread, so bear with me. After watching Open Range, I realized that Robert Duvall is a national treasure and became determined to watch as many of his movies as possible. So I went out and rented Assasination Tango. It seems Duvall is a fan of the tango and decided to make a movie with that in the title. It is the WORST ! Just goes to show you what happens, when you become so powerful in Hollywood, that the producer allows you to put your girlfriend in the movie.

LOL John Wayne as Genghis Khan wasn't exactly on the hit parade either.They ALL make bad movies at some time or another.........well......maybe not Gary Cooper or Randolph Scott. ;D

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 12:03:59 AM »
I love Duvall in everything I've seen with him.  None better than Lonesome Dove, of course.  "Get Low" is a fairly recent one that is worth seeing if you haven't.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 06:31:46 AM »
I love Duvall in everything I've seen with him.  None better than Lonesome Dove, of course.  "Get Low" is a fairly recent one that is worth seeing if you haven't.

But did you see Assasination Tango ?

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »
I had to sneak Broken Trail and Get Low, my wife really got irritated with him when he left his wife to be with the much younger tango instructor.  It did get me out of dancing lessons.  ;D She let it go when she found out that the tango instructor was wife #4 and he had not been with any of them too long.   So, I watched Get Low again, excellent both times.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com