Author Topic: Boot Knives During The Civil War?  (Read 8581 times)

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Boot Knives During The Civil War?
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:09:50 AM »
Were boot knives carried in this manner if so, what size and style were the knives used during the civil war?
Does anyone have and pic's of actual examples?  ???

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Boot Knives During The Civil War?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 12:14:34 PM »
If you're asking about knives that were carried in the boot during the Civil War - given that pretty much everyone besides Cavalrymen and Officers wore shoes - it'd've been difficult, and damned inconvenient on the march...

If you're asking about small side knives and dirks - prior to the revolving pistol era, when most sidearms were single-shot, then many different sizes and types of knives were carried as back-up, and that practice carried over for some time.

The 'back pages' of this forum and those of the 'Cutting Edge' forum discuss this - do some digging there, and look for 'daggers' or 'dirks' - short-bladed (4"-5"), double-edged knives with crossguards.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »
The soldiers that fought with knives during the Civil War all got shot.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:27:41 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:59:16 PM »
The soldiers that fought with knives during the Civil War all got shot.

Documentation? :D

Seriously, The "style" of the pre-war and early civil war seemed to run to the larger bowies or daggers, like St George says. As the war progressed kit was shed, leaving only the practical necessities. Now as most soldiers were countrymen or urban workmen, they would be used to carrying simple pocket knives. Small knives would seem reasonable as utility items, but to carry a specific style of small knife, either folding or fixed is something I've not heard about.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
Id also like to see some originals if anyone has some pics. It seems all I can ever find is d guard bowies from that era.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:33:58 AM »
See if your public library can order you a copy of Flayderman's 'The Bowie Knife'.

It's 'all' period stuff.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Burt Blade

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
When I was a young man in the Army, I carried a boot knife for a while. After I had worn a nasty patch on my leg after a long sweaty walk, I carried my knife elsewhwere. The sweat did not do that cheap knife any favors either.

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 01:32:51 PM »
I would think that the boot knife was a camp tool more than a fighting knife. The soldiers had bayonets for fighting which would allow them to stay at a safer distance from a knife wielding opponent while scewering him. A smaller more handy camp knife would be much more practical.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
     First, a lot of calvery wore brogans rather than boots.  Second, the Army dress regulations called for the trousers to be worn over the boot/shoe durring the CW.  I can't imagine getting in a knife fight on horseback.  I suspect most references to boot pistols and knives were post war fiction.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »
A knife fight on horseback was called a Cavalry Engagement - fast-moving, bloody affairs...

The common soldier - by mid-war - would have had almost zero use for something like a boot knife or dirk, unless he'd figured out something else he could do with it.

By that time, an experienced soldier on campaign was stripped down to the barest of essentials - usually a rubber blanket, canteen, spoon and cup, and cartridge pouch.

The spare shirt and socks (if any) were rolled up inside the blanket - the issued haversack proving an encumberance.

A 'boot knife' is one of those things that seems like a good idea, until it's tried and it's found to be more of a pain (literally) than it's continued use would warrant.

The most famous users of the concept were American Paratroopers of WWII - who strapped an M3 Trench Knife to the sides of their Corcorans, in the event they'd get hung up in a tree or otherwise rendered weaponless.

Those M3's would find their way back onto the webbing as soon as possible, because the damned things caught on everything one can find on the ground.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Burt Blade

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »
Highly concur. These boots were made for walking, not cutlery storage.   ;D

The highly-salty "upside-down knife on web-gear suspenders, for fast access" was also not a winner. I know several folks who lost good knives that way, crawling around in the weeds and brush. One fellow wished he had only lost his. Something stripped it out, and he crawled onto it, skewering his thigh. Nasty.

I carry a honkin' big-n-flashy ivory-handled Damascus Bowie as part of my Cowboy outfit. I am a Hollywood cowboy. Would never carry this thing in the field. It is costume jewelry for Cowboys. (hand made, by me.)

There is much stuff we do in SASS that is "costume", not "common sense": 450fps mini-bullets, speed holsers that barely hold guns. Shotguns with the lock bolts ground down to barely-functional nubs.

If a boot knife or boot gun works for your CAS outfit, great. If we all dressed the same, it would be a bit dull.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:23 PM »
I read an account of a Lt. carrying pistols in his boots.  I tried it: I was most uncomfortable.  He was mounted and I was not.  That might make a difference, but I think not.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 08:04:34 AM »
I wear boots, pants tucked in, and botas over as my boots are not PC (beeves, not calfs describe me best)  In the bota I carry a knife.  After about 4 hours I have a red sore on my calf from where the knife rides.   I also have a single shot pistol that I slip down the boot or attached to the bota.  It has never lasted the 4 hours due to comfort.  I cannot imagine marching like that.

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 10:14:33 PM »
I've seen period illustrations of people carrying knives and pistols in their boot tops. All of them were pre-Civil War. All of them depicted mounted men. The boots of that era were wider-topped than in later times, and were convenient places to stash things when riding - not only weapons but papers, etc. The small "boot knife" is a modern fantasy, I fear.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 12:44:54 AM »
The small "boot knife" is a modern fantasy, I fear.

Greetings My Dear Kid -
There is one exception - that is the Scottish Sgian-dubh or Stocking Knife. Whilst Technically as a stocking knife it might not count as a boot-knife it is rather close....

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »
I have an older German style hunting knife made by Henkels.  I made a sheath with a tab to fit over my boot top.  I carried it for a few shoots, just for style, mind you!  I stopped doin' dat when I realized that my ankle was chaffing. And the pointy end of the knife was nowhere near my ankle. At first I thought it was my new boots, or my antique cavalry spurs.  Then the german silver cap dissapeared off the end of the handle, so I stopped wearing the boot knife.

Guess what ???

The chaffing at my ankle stopped!

The whole idea of a bootknife during any activity is impractical, IMHO.  And remember, cowboys were/are working men!  I think the highlander's sgian dubh, or the vaqueros belduque in the top of a bota works because it is suspended from a garter or tie and not weighing down pressing boot leather into the ankle. And I think more belduques are carried tucked into a belt or sash than sticking out of ankles!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 11:05:11 AM »
In any case, the sgian dubh was more symbolic than practical. After the failure of the 1745 Rebellion the English cracked down on the Highlanders, forbidding them to posess arms, not only pistols and muskets but their traditional broadswords and dirks. But the law said nothing about the sgian dubh so Scots took to wearing them ostentatiously in the tops of their stockings. They quickly shrank to no more than 3" blades and acquired elaborate decorations, becoming male jewelry and a way to defiantly express one's Scottishness without transgressing the law.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com