Author Topic: EAA (Baikal) MP220?  (Read 7233 times)

Offline AGreenSmudge

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
EAA (Baikal) MP220?
« on: January 16, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
Howdy folks.

Got a question about this shotgun, looking to add an exposed hammer side by side to my collection.

When researching this particular shotgun I found some old threads elsewhere around 2004 where folks liked them, but had found that the hammers were fake and it was really just an internal hammer shotgun. You could break it open, close it and fire it without ever touching the hammers.

Then I found ads from a couple of years later that they'd released a new model (MP220F) that had real external hammers. But now I find no mention of that model at all, just the regular 220.

Do any of you guys know if the current 220 model is really the 220F? Or maybe it's not but they now make them with real external hammers anyways. The ads on EAA's website seem to indicate they are real.
Howdy

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: EAA (Baikal) MP220?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »
Baikal MP 220F has true hammers .... I don't believe the earlier Cocking lever Guns are imported (maybe not even made) anymore.
They may share some parts, but not the same guns.

The Baikal has 2 3/4" Chamber & a sliding safety.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:59:19 AM »
I do not believe that Baikal ever made a shotgun with faux hammers .... there for "show" only with no function.  I own their inernal firing pin/cocking hammer shotgun and the action of opening and closing the gun does not set the firing pins.  You must cock the external hammers.

I also own the MP220F which has "external" firing pins.  It is in essence the same shotgun except the cocked hammers "strike" the external "nipple" of the firing pin assembly which fires the gun.  The Baikal's hammers are father apart then the TTN because Baikal uses the same receiver for both shotguns.  The firing pin location is the same in both Baikal shotguns, so Baikal uses some sort of offset cam to allow the action of striking the nipple to release the firing pins; not a straight hit like the TTN, but reliable.  A more "modern design than the TTN.

I don't know if Baikal still makes (or is imported to the USA) the internal cocking model (Bounty Hunter II), but the MP220F with real hammers/external firing pins is available - walnut checkered, choke tubes, and very solid.  With a little work by a knowledgable gunsmith, they are one of the best and reasonably priced coachguns available.

PM if you need more info.

MJJ

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:06:57 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:58:52 AM »
Just for fun I posted this photo elsewhere
this Photo is a Baikal ( not mine )

Just an aside, (since the good marshal brought TTn's up)

I have the TTn it's a Clone of the 1878 Colt , bought in 2004, Tank tough , 3" Chambers, no sliding safety,
Mine had the lighter springs & big bead sight and worked right out of the box.
Walt Johnson was then TTn owner & importer, before going to EMF.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline AGreenSmudge

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:35:47 PM »
Just for fun I posted this photo elsewhere
this Photo is a Baikal ( not mine )

Just an aside, (since the good marshal brought TTn's up)

I have the TTn it's a Clone of the 1878 Colt , bought in 2004, Tank tough , 3" Chambers, no sliding safety,
Mine had the lighter springs & big bead sight and worked right out of the box.
Walt Johnson was then TTn owner & importer, before going to EMF.

Wow! That's a heck of an engraving job!

Thanks for all the replies so far!
Howdy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com