Author Topic: Brisco County Jr  (Read 16183 times)

Offline Marthor

• Active citizen
  • "The coming thing"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Brisco County Jr
« on: January 16, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
In 1993' they had this show on Saturday morning. It's one of the few TV shows that I was ever fervently excited about and couldn't wait till it was on each week. Unfortunately, they cancelled it after just 1 season. I just got the series for Christmas and have really enjoyed seeing these again.

It's a western, sci-fi, comedy which certainly would not be everyone's cup of tea, however, does anyone else remember this show?

The humor in the show was great to me and the adventures of the characters were good stories. Any other County fans?  ;)
Marthor's Gun Page ... on Facebook "click"

. Ruger Vaqueros [x2] 357 Magnum
. Stoeger Coach Shotgun 12 gauge
. Rossi 92 357 Magnum

NRA Life Member
SASS #93491
RATS #643

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Brisco County Jr
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:37:11 PM »
Loved it then.  Would love to seeit again just to see "Dixie". Tthe main actor now plays "Sam Ax" on "Burn Notice". 

I don't remember alot of the details but I think He carried his father's sixgun and it seemed to have special powers for him.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
I remember that show.  The thing I remember most was during an interview, he showed how he did his flashy draw of his pistol.  He pulled it out half-way, then back and under the holster(letting it twirl one rotation on his finger) and ended up aiming at the hip.  Slow and breaks the 170 rule, but it was cool looking.  We had a full sized aluminum replica of a SAA and me an my brother loved to practice quick drawing.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:31:24 PM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »
Great show!  I've had the DVD set for a couple of years now and have watched it several times. 
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Utah Bob

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lazy Bob Ranch
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »
Great series. I was sorry to see it go.
Rocky Mountain Warthog
BOLD #1
GAF #6
Proprietor - Lazy Bob Ranch
No cattle, No crops, No problem

Offline Marthor

• Active citizen
  • "The coming thing"
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:46:59 PM »
 Here they are - Socrates, Lord Bowler, Dixie, Professor and Brisco

...and Comet

. Rossi 92 357 Magnum

NRA Life Member
SASS #93491
RATS #643

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:48:37 PM »
Thanks, Marthor.  Great pictures!
There is a place in Arizona, www.legendsinleather.com, where you can get an exact copy of Brisco's holster (as well as several other TV/movie rigs).  I talked to him about two years ago.  VERY pricey.  I seem to recall that he wanted somewhere around $1500 for the Brisco County rig. 

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:43:59 AM »
I remember that show too.  Ahhh...  Dixie!  Now that'll take the wrinkles out of yer robe.   :o  ::)  :P
$1500 for a gun rig?  I think not.  My Silver King rig from Kirkpatrick only cost $500 and I only paid that because it was for my SASS Colt.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Marthor

• Active citizen
  • "The coming thing"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:09:42 AM »
Ahhh...  Dixie!  Now that'll take the wrinkles out of yer robe.

Dixie is going to file her claim.  ;)

Brisco County Jr aired in 1993 and was supposed to be set exactly 100 years earlier in 1893. Brisco often mentioned that it was getting close to the turn of the century and he was looking for "the coming thing".

Since I'm shooting a replica Winchester 1892 lever rifle and since Brisco was set in 1893, I've decided that's my "Cowboy Year". Everybody dresses up time period of the old west, but I have a specific year. That's also specifically why I selected an 1893 Indian Head penny to carry in my pocket to.

. Rossi 92 357 Magnum

NRA Life Member
SASS #93491
RATS #643

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 03:01:40 PM »
ABC Jr is one of my all time favorite shows. They only thing that I didn't like about it was that it ended.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 12:20:55 AM »
One episode I recall was with the Elvis sheriff, a ton of puns!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »
I remember seeing an interview with Bruce Campbell where he talked about the show and its cancellation.  As the "Bly and the orb" problem was resolved in the first season series, the plan for a second season was to have the whole gang settle down in some town where Briscoe would be the sheriff.  Unfortunately, that never came about.

Offline Darto

• Top Active Citizen
  • Step right up the wooden board on the wall !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 01:27:27 AM »
Thanks, I ran across the set on Amazon and was wondering if it was any good, came here to check, looks like it is!  :)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »
I remember the series.  have not seen the dvd set.   I will have to check Netflix.    As to recent TV westerns, I recommend Firefly, great western/sci-fi series that the Idiots at FOX presented poorly and cancelled too soon.  I wish Lazerus Man would come out on DVD as well.

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
Briscoe County Jr. was one of those great shows that only appeals to a small segment of society. Unfortunately, the larger part of society would rather be entertained by mindless ho-hum. Just look at the shows in the higher ratings...usually drivel.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »
I remember the series.  have not seen the dvd set.   I will have to check Netflix.    As to recent TV westerns, I recommend Firefly, great western/sci-fi series that the Idiots at FOX presented poorly and cancelled too soon.  I wish Lazerus Man would come out on DVD as well.

My Good Mogorilla
I too was enthralled with both Brisco and Firefly ... especially Firefly. We own both boxed sets, but Firely is certainly viewed more often.

It seems that Firefly only occurred because of a contractual promise to Josh Wheddon when "Buffy the V...." turned into sucha psychotic success. Fox apparently promised he could call the shots on his own project, whichas it turned out was Firefly.

Oddly, it's success was such an affront to the Morons In Charge at Fox that they went to incredible lengths to kill it off, changing air times and days seemingly at random, and canceling a scheduled show in favor of such important events as "hair tonic" infomercials ...
That stratedgy was followed by caefully loaded surveys designed to report viewership and ratings unfavorzbly, in order to cancel it entirely.

What the morons in charge ( henceforth to be known as MIC ) did not consider was the Internet outrage and the unexpected power of the fanbase. That alone allowed Wheddon to put together a proposal to a rival studio to make the Firefly movie which became a nice little success story.

It never ceases to amaze me that MIC's are able torun rampant , and instead of exercising good business practices and offering Exactly was the consumer desires, the MIC try to ram their own spin of crap down the consumer throat, and further demonstrate their Egomaniacal Physcosis and petty revenge by going to great lengths to kill off anything the MIC did not invent.

Interestingly, this behaviour is actually typical the average MIC who somehow has come to believe that they are Deity's Phrophet Incarnate and are the onliest Right Thinker on Terra Firma,and it is their God Given Mission to seek out and destroy all disagreement.

This odd patternrepeats itself thruout recent business history, and includes JP Morgan, Rockefeller, Ford , and most recently Bill Gates and Larry Ellison .  The mind boggles.....

but, rant over and back on topic, I shallfire up the Brisco DVD boxset tonight and revel in the entertainment! I particuarly enjoyed the philospohical dicsussions Brisco had with his horse ....

yhs
prof ( ranting over mic ) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 07:08:01 PM »
I'd rather watch Kirk Douglass and Arnold Swartsenneger! :-[
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 08:08:19 PM »
Hello all,

I and my kids all love watching Brisco. Hard to find good old family friendly shows anymore so we recycle.

Another show to consider is Murdoch Mysteries from acorn media in Canada! I get them from the library and has to be one my most watched and favorite series for the whole family!

Jacob
"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 12:45:53 AM »
Hello all,

I and my kids all love watching Brisco. Hard to find good old family friendly shows anymore so we recycle.

Another show to consider is Murdoch Mysteries from acorn media in Canada! I get them from the library and has to be one my most watched and favorite series for the whole family!

Jacob

My Good Jacob  -
Back when we could get The Canadian Channel ( kinda like BBCA which is still available) we watched it a great deal as there was a Plethora of quite good shows! I still have fond memories of an animation of a lumberjack song....
but that too disappeared... perhaps I can find Canadian programming via the interweb, our new cheap Sony DVD blueray has an excellent web streaming feature that offers more programming than I have been able to get thru!

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 09:49:38 PM »
I also enjoyed the show, it really was a shame when they cancelled it, but there are still 27 episodes to enjoy on dvd.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com