Author Topic: HELP, 45-75 dies?  (Read 9463 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HELP, 45-75 dies?
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »
Talked with a salesman this morning and he was not very familiar with this caliber dies.  So please jump in with any information you care to share.  He had three brands and thinks they are all three die sets.  I am loading on a LNL press and do need dies that are on the long side for use with the LNL inserts. 

He had one die set by Lyman and it was in the $50 price range.  There are two die sets by 4-D (CH) and one is listed as for Uberti, which he thinks indicates that these are for the early model Ubertis and not those of recent manufacture.  The other 4-D set costs $114.

The RCBS dies he has are in two sets, one listed as the Legacy dies and these run $47.59 but he is currently out of them.  (long waits?)  The other RCBS set is priced at a whopping $260 and he isn't sure why so much difference.  Guys please jump in here and steer me right.

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: HELP, 45-75 dies?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »
All that I can tell you is that I have the early '76 with the Uberti chamber.  My dies are Lee which include the factory crimp die.  My Trim die is RCBS.  All work very well for me.  All my brass I fire-formed so that the brass would fit the chamber.  These cases do not have the long neck that the original cases have and this gives me more case capacity--about 5 or so grains.  This is all that I can tell you.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »
If you search the board for 45-75 you will find several threads on the subject.  I strongly suggest you read them.  By way of executive summary, though, until recently the Uberti 76 was chambered for a variation on the .45-75 cartridge.  The Chaparral and 'real' Winchester are chambered for the SAAMI 'spec' version.  

The Uberti variation has a shorter neck and longer body. This allows it to hold more powder and compensates for capacity lost when using modern cases versus the original balloon head cases.  

Recently Uberti started chambering their 76 for the SAAMI spec case.  This means, if you own an Uberti 76 you will need to check to see which version of the round it is chambered for and purchase the appropriate reloading dies.  

'Uberti' variation cases will not chamber in other 76s and SAAMI cases will fireform every time you use them in an 'Uberti' variation 76 - this is NOT a good thing.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:31:20 AM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:58:42 PM »
Thanks, I have found some reference to the CH4D dies but was hopeing to perhaps hear from someone with experience using the Lyman or RCBS brands.  I have not used RCBS dies in about 40years and have no experience with Lyman, though I have not heard anything bad about them.  The guys I am dealing with do not offer LEE but in my experience LEE makes good dies, though they are a bit to short for practical use in the Hornady LNL presses.   I am thinking the RCBS Legacy dies are perhaps what I remember as being called cowboy dies but I was thinking they actually cost extra?  I am also talking about the chamber as used in newer Ubertis.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »
I ordered the 45-75 4-D dies and another 50 Jamison cases this morning.  The first of next month, when my welfare check arrives, I will order some bullets and be ready to reload with bp for real.  It is my understanding that Uberti tends to run the various models in batches and I assume that is what I will need to watch for.  Anyone have the slightest idea at what time of the year the '76s are made and will hit our shores?

Offline Badlands Beady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
Recently Uberti started chambering their 76 for the SAAMI spec case.  This means, if you own an Uberti 76 you will need to check to see which version of the round it is chambered for and purchase the appropriate reloading dies.  

'Uberti' variation cases will not chamber in other 76s and SAAMI cases will fireform every time you use them in an 'Uberti' variation 76 - this is NOT a good thing.

I recently was in contact with CH4D and asked them about this.  They responded with technical drawings of the Uberti and SAAMI cases.  They were not able to tell me when Uberti made the change, but said I could tell by examining a fired case.  Well, fired cases from my NWMP hold the same dimensions as unfired Starline 45-75 cases.  By "fireform," I assume you mean the fired case will take on the dimensions of the Uberti variation chamber?

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »
Yes, the SAAMI spec case is only 1.032" to the shoulder, where the Uberti variation is 1.16" to the shoulder.  Firing a SAAMI case in an Uberti variation rifle will result in the case body expanding out for 0.128" after the shoulder.  The neck will also expand for 0.108" to fill the last bit of shoulder.

If the fired case shoulder starts at the same place (1.032" from the base) as an unfired SAAMI case then your NWMP is chambered for the SAAMI case.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
I recently was in contact with CH4D and asked them about this.  They responded with technical drawings of the Uberti and SAAMI cases.  They were not able to tell me when Uberti made the change, but said I could tell by examining a fired case.  Well, fired cases from my NWMP hold the same dimensions as unfired Starline 45-75 cases.  By "fireform," I assume you mean the fired case will take on the dimensions of the Uberti variation chamber?

Great bit on info there Badlands.  Thanks for the post. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Okefinokee Outlaw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:12 PM »
Thanks for making this easy.   I have a very recently manufactured Uberti 1876.  The Jamison cases were 1.032 to the shoulder, but expanded to 1.16 after firing.  It seems that there is no rhyme or reason to when Uberti is chambering to SAAMI.  I asked the folks at Taylor, but they had no idea what I was talking about.  They referred me to their gunsmith, and he had no idea either. 

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 08:38:56 AM »
A few weeks ago I talked with the fokes at Taylors and was told that they wee dropping the 45-75 completely.  They had two on special order, one for me and one fer another dude but I cancelled when Cimmaron got some and Taylors didnt.   The Italians seem to have learned supply and demand from Col. Parker and it is working well fer them!   

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »
Thanks for making this easy.   I have a very recently manufactured Uberti 1876.  The Jamison cases were 1.032 to the shoulder, but expanded to 1.16 after firing.  It seems that there is no rhyme or reason to when Uberti is chambering to SAAMI.  I asked the folks at Taylor, but they had no idea what I was talking about.  They referred me to their gunsmith, and he had no idea either.  

Probably because there are no SAAMI specs for the .45-75 on their website.  SAAMI was created long after the .45-75 went out of favor with shooters.

http://www.saami.org/

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Thanks for making this easy.   I have a very recently manufactured Uberti 1876.  The Jamison cases were 1.032 to the shoulder, but expanded to 1.16 after firing.  It seems that there is no rhyme or reason to when Uberti is chambering to SAAMI.  I asked the folks at Taylor, but they had no idea what I was talking about.  They referred me to their gunsmith, and he had no idea either. 

The change happened less than 2 years ago.  Still within the range for old barrels to be used, particularly if they are winding down production on the .45-75 chambering.  Also possible they are using old tooling for cutting the chambers, for the same reason.

Offline postman63

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 02:49:28 PM »
Don't trust your Uberti to have the new chamber even if you bought new. I just bought a Cimarron/Uberti from a dealer who had it on order for me for almost a year. I pick up the gun the end of April 2014. Got it two days after the dealer received it. I loaded some Jameson brass, and test fired it, and found it has the Uberti chambering 1.16, not the Saami 1.032.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 09:18:40 PM »
I have a custom 76 on order now and I'm going to be real disappointed if it shows up with the odd uberti chambering. It was my understanding this was corrected some time ago. I have standard 45-75 dies and Jamison brass already and don't care to deal with the Uberti oddball chambering.

Maybe your dealer received it from some old stock that had been hiding somewhere.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 11:19:43 AM »
I have had a Cimarron/Uberti 1876 carbine 45-75 for about a month now and have had no problems. Jamison brass and Lee 45-75 dies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com