Author Topic: Growing Garlic  (Read 12529 times)

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Growing Garlic
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:13:23 AM »
Del can probably post the historical aspects of garlic, he'd know it better than I do, I just use the stuff!

I like fresh garlic and use a lot of it. But I had always thought it was something that would only grow in California or something. But one year I was out shopping for my fall flower bulbs at a local shop. It's one of those "Mom and Pop" home gardening stores that's closed on Sundays.  (It also carries home brewing supplies) Much to my surprise, they carried garlic bulbs for planting! I had to give it a try.

Growing garlic takes patience more than anything else. It takes well drained soil, and does well in sandy soil. Plant it in the fall (about six inches apart), then wait. It'll send up a shoot, much like an onion, in the fall. Ignore it. The shoot will die back in the winter and disappear. Ignore that, too. That just means the bulb has established itself in the ground and is a good sign. It'll send up a new shoot in the Spring. Kinda ignore that one too, just wait. When the wet of spring is over, start watering the shoot/stalk once in a while, and almost ignore it, but watch it. It might grow to about 3-4 feet tall. ( Don't measure it, that's not ignoring it, that's being impatient!)

When the shoot gets that funny looking, bulb shaped thing on the top of it that kinda looks like something from the Taj Mahal.... still wait, but watch it more closely and keep watering it. When the bulb thing goes into flower, and looks like a pretty, alien starburst, your garlic is ready. When you dig it up, don't dig straight down or you'll bruise the cloves. Dig around it and pop up the bulb, then brush it off. If dirt still clings to it, you can wash it off. Then hang it up until the stalk is dry. Your garlic is ready for use!

If you grow a bunch of it, you can braid the stalks of them together before they dry. Then you can hang it up in your kitchen to impress your Yuppy friends. It likes to be stored in a cool, well ventilated place. The fridge isn't the best place for it because the damp air will fool it into thinking it's been planted and it will try to send shoots.

It's very, very good!

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Prof. A. Wickwire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Growing Garlic
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 07:20:14 AM »
AnnieLee,

Thanks for the garlic growing tips.  The only problem I have is that up here (northeastern New York) is the cold winters seem to kill the plants.  But it could be the soil is not right instead.

Sincerely,

Prof. A. Wickwire
Now where did I put that fuming nitric acid?

Does anyone smell smoke?

NCOWS# 2511
NRA# 080060344
NYSRPA# 11983
SASS# 39766

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 12:28:34 PM »
As a rule in period cooking if you are from the Meditterranian region including all of France, it is food.  If you are from the British Isles it is medicine.  If you From Nothern and Eastern Europe it is both food and medicine. 

Here in Nebraska it was a popular part of gardens of folks fron Czechaslovakia, Poland and Germany.  There are garlic patches around here that are claimed to be Great, Great Grandma's original patch she brought with her from the "Old Country."

I bought a bunch of garlic at the store in 1983 and planted behind my shed, just spaded it and poked them in.  I was two miles north of the salt flats and it did weel up on the hill. even with -25 weather.  I now live on the salt flats and have a little topsol, brought in when the house was move in.  The only thing I can get to grow are roses and iris and wild flowers. 

So I now buy it.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:40:28 PM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 12:55:33 PM »
We planted it a couple years ago and our cats (or something) kept digging it up.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 02:53:49 AM »
Think of the Vampires it keeps away! ::)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 06:58:53 PM »
We'd try it, but are afraid our dog might take a liking to them.  She already destroyed our carrot patch.  Ate every last one before it's time.  About 3 doz. plants.   :( Bad dog.  >:(
The same for cherry tomatoes.  :(  Bad dog, stay outside.  All that's gotta come out sometime or other and it's not going to be in the house.  :o ;D

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 11:35:12 AM »
Singing Bear, some fences can keep dogs out instead of in!
 ;)

When I first moved onto my property, I wanted to grow a rose. I knew exactly where I wanted it to be: straight in line of sight from the window by my computer. The rose is that delicate yellow with pink called "Peace." It didn't last long. I'd open the door, the dogs would bolt out, and the male would raise his leg against the rose. He killed three of them before I wised up.  I went and got the cut whiskey barrels, filled them with soil and planted roses in them. Now my dog can raise his leg all he wants against the barrel and the roses aren't poisoned. They are also at a height that makes it impossible for him to dig (thus the demise of rose #4).

Why am I talking about roses when the topic is garlic? I plant garlic in the whiskey barrels around the roses, that's why! That way it can grow, critter-free.

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 01:08:28 PM »
Even though it is a lily, some call it the Stinkin' rose. ;D  And that Peace Rose is one of the hardest of the Hybrid Tea roses to grow, don't know why.  Grandma, Dad and I have fought with and bought many of them since they came out about 45 years ago. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Kinchafoonee Kid

• Kinchafoonee Kid
  • NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
A couple of years ago, I was back in Marion county Georgia and pulled up some garlic and daffodils near an old home site from the late 18th century. I brought it back to Colorado and both are growing very well.  Beautiful daffodil blooms and delicious garlic we have enjoyed since,
Kincahfoonee Kid
Kinchafoonee Kid
SSAS 94231

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 05:12:57 PM »
There are some that are just ornamental,we have them around our home..But they do smell like garlic.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 08:56:48 AM »
Hi,

I have a group of Garlic that has taken root underneath the chicken wire fence that is on my property line. To make matters worse (?), the six foot high fence is thick enough with star Jasmine and honeysuckle that it acts as a privacy fence for their pool and jacuzzi.
 But underneath it all is what I can only guess is some garlic ... I think it is ornamental 'cause it only grows about a foot to eighteen inches ... but it smells like garlic in the spring (or anytime the leaves are cut), grows all summer and dies off down to ground level every fall, only to grow back each spring ...

Any suggestions? Should I harvest this stuff? I am afraid to disturb the ground for fear of killing the neighbor's privacy fence ...

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »
One reason it is planted is insect repelent,i don't think snails like it either,i actually like the smell of it,every now and then my yard man will mess with it to get an aroma going,yep i have to have a yard man,i can barely walk anymore..
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com