Author Topic: Gunsmithing courses?  (Read 2313 times)

Offline JOHNACM

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gunsmithing courses?
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
Which Internet course is the best to take if one just wants to work on ones own guns? Looking for courses that work on SAASS guns, such as New Black Hawks, Winchester 97, Colt and Uberti Yellow boy. I doin't plan on becomming a master Gunsmith! Thanks for any help.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: Gunsmithing courses?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »
I'm looking at some gunsmithing courses for education.  I signed up to AGI.  Just yesterday, 14 Mar. '12 I got a card announcing their new Cowboy Gunsmithing course.  It's running around $500 and I think takes around 13 hours.

Sounds interesting to me.

www.AmericanGunsmith.com

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Online St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:30:46 AM »
Dave Chicoine's books on 'Gunsmithing the Guns of the Old West' and his follow-on dealing with modern C&WAS guns are indispensible, as is Kuhnhausen's on the Colt Single Action.

Armed with those - and some 'good' tools from Brownell's, and coupled with patience and common sense - there's no need to spend money on any internet course.

The only reason to spend money on a gunsmithing school's offerings is the personal, hands-on instruction in a classroom/workshop environment - otherwise, buy books, set up a work area, and proceed slowly.

Most C&WAS guns can be worked on quite easily - and stoning various surfaces is pretty much all that's needed - and though opening up a forcing cone is sometimes warranted - there's a tool for that, too, so get yourself a Brownell's catalog - www.brownells.com

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:18:59 AM »

Offline Twitchy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:06:35 PM »
I have several AGI tapes.  Most are pretty good.  I definately have learned from them as even though I read a bunch, I am a visual learner and get far more out of a video than a book.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:04:15 PM »
St. George makes a good point.  The "certification" received after you complete a course isn't really much more than a patch.  However, I looked at several of their videos about guns I already know and I still learned things.  It's a visual thing, I guess.  I do have Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 book (mine is the new version that is actually BOTH his 1911 books rolled into one cover) and they are COMPLETE ... but I still learned a couple tricks/methods from the AGI dvds.  I also invested in the Brownell's 4 volume set of Gunsmith "Kinks" and they are amazing ... and cover MANY more different guns than most will ever see.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com