Author Topic: A couple of crazy ideas...and technical questions to invoke thought.  (Read 6681 times)

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Talkative and generally full of it, but harmless nonetheless.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
In order to stir up a stagnant pot here goes! Please don't say it has been covered before as I've read all eleven pages of this subforum prior to this post. Healthy discussion stimulates minds and forums too. Lastly, this is not all CAS related, but it is Schofield related so I beg the use of the knowledge pool.

Has anyone ever tried using speed loaders of any kind with the Schofield variants? If so, please share your results including your experience with speed loaders in general and the brand used.

As far as slicking up the Schofield is there anything that the competent home gunsmith can do? I am aware that the smithshop will convert it to a slip hammer gun. Bill English was also mentioned. What are the typical costs for these jobs?

With respect to reloading techniques, what is the most efficient method to get the job done with respect to clean and clear ejection? What is the best way to eject shells while maintaining the 170? I'm not a beginner revolver shooter in competition, but the hinged barrel is way different than my S&W 625. I am noticing that while my gun will chamber .38 special it does not appear to have sufficient ejection stroke to cleanly eject the casings. Is this true of the .45LC models also? If so what brass are you all using in competitions?  .38 Short Colts and .45 Schofields?  

I plan on running my gun in several different games and figured that this was the best place to ask advice. I apologize for the bombardment of questions. Thanks in advance for your time.
Best Regards,
Tall Dark Slim

What is the OAL of .45 cowboy specials in comparison to a .45LC or Schofield? How does the dimensions/case volume compare? Where might I find more information?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: A couple of crazy ideas...and technical questions to invoke thought.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
We 'have' discussed period speed loaders - dig deeper.

Matter of fact, back in the day, the military supplied a version for the Schofield that held six rounds around a wooden spool - held in place by a paper tape.

They also developed a cartridge-pack device, built 'specifically' for the Navy - in 1889.

It was developed for the newly-issued Colt .38 DA, in order to carry the Colt Cartridge Pack - a six-round reloadable device similar to the one developed by Kelton in 1888.

The Colt-made cartridge-packs were invented and patented by Carl J. Ehbets, who assigned rights to Colt on April 30, 1890 - Patent No# 402,424.

It was also reloadable - but most were discarded after initial use - according to reports.

It was made of light metal and a spring arrangement.

It cost .25 - and that was 'real money' at the time for the military  - so their use was eventually discontinued.

That they proved to be one-time use affairs - and since no one was spending money on the military at the time, a frivolous item that was essentially non-recoverable wasn't pursued.

Modern speed loaders have also been discussed - but as far as I remember - nothing was said about their use in competition, since this forum deals with period weapons and their use during the era.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
St. George,
Sorry I wasn't clear about what I meant about speedloaders. I was not talking of period devices. I was wondering if there were folks playing around with modern speed loaders for the .38. I actually enjoyed the design of those particular devices. I realize that these items are not SASS legal and beg your indulgence for the sake of giving a classic design a chance to rise again. I assure you that I am going to compete in the next cowboy shoot in my area I can make. I am an enthusiast of the design and wish to explore its abilities and limitations in multiple shooting disciplines.
Thanks for the Reply,
Tall Dark Slim

Advertising

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »
This is one of those questions you should pose over at the 'Shooter's Forum' - I think someone there may have more information.

One thing about shooting Schofields rapidly, is that they take more practice than does a Colt Single Action Army, to develop a good sense of muscle memory - and recovery is different.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:45:11 PM »
 In fairness I have long fingers and find the stroke of the hammer more pleasant than a Vaquero or Bisley. I also find the distance between the bore axis and hand to be very short possibly resulting in a straight push of recoil.  I hope to find out as soon as possible.

Would you say recovery is faster or slower? How high do you grip the revolver?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:23:56 PM »
With a Colt - you can pull the trigger to the rear, and still cock the piece and fire it - but with the Schofield, you 'must' release the trigger between shots.

Sometimes, it takes awhile for a long-time Colt user to re-train his trigger finger...

As to grip - I just grasp normally, I don't use both hands, and I shoot deliberately - not for speed.

More 'technical' shooting questions are best asked on the 'Shooter's Meeting' forum.

As with any skill development - it's 'Practice, Practice, Practice' - so dry fire often, and shoot as much as you can, at the type of target and distance you'll shoot at.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
St. George: do you have a pic of these primitive speedloaders?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
In fairness I have long fingers and find the stroke of the hammer more pleasant than a Vaquero or Bisley. I also find the distance between the bore axis and hand to be very short possibly resulting in a straight push of recoil.  I hope to find out as soon as possible.

Would you say recovery is faster or slower? How high do you grip the revolver?

Go shoot the thing!  The only one that can answer your questions is you.  You said you have long fingers.  I don't, so how I grip the gun isn't going to be the same as you.  GO SHOOT IT.  ;)

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »
This weekend hopefully. :D

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »
Today my fiancée and I shot the Schofield with some American eagle 130 FMJ.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and despite it being frigid and windy we both think it's a fun gun.  I do believe I'll have no need for the sights and will be lightening the trigger spring in the future. It points better than it aims.  I am supremely confident in its man killing accuracy to 50 paces.  Grip high and point or go low and aim.  

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
You can use an N Frame 45 cal speedloader on the 45 Colt or 45 Schofield, maybe even the 44-40.

Perhaps the speedloader for the 357 caliber N Frame Smith may fit. but not the speedloaders for the K frame or L frame S&W's.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 05:48:02 AM »
You can use an N Frame 45 cal speedloader on the 45 Colt or 45 Schofield, maybe even the 44-40.

Perhaps the speedloader for the 357 caliber N Frame Smith may fit. but not the speedloaders for the K frame or L frame S&W's.

I can confirm this theory in the .38. The cylinder is very close to the size and thickness of the N frame.  Thank you for the input.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 05:27:31 AM »
I have successfully used the HKS Speedloaders designed for the N-Framed S&W's in .45 Colt.  The Speed loader will also accept the .45 Schofield round as well.  I found this out by accident when I was playing at the Range and decided to see if it would work as well in my Anaconda and M25-5.  I had the Schofield along and tried it in that as well and was pleasently supprised. ;D
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
An HKS speedloader for a M-29 (.44 mag.) works nicely with .44 Russians and a S & W DA .44.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 04:16:11 PM »
Howdy

Just so you know, Bill English and The Smith Shop are one and the same. He is retired now, but you could call him up and ask him what he used to charge. He is a very nice guy and will certainly tell you anything you want to know.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com