Author Topic: Stoeger SxS or IAC Noraco 1897  (Read 10193 times)

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stoeger SxS or IAC Noraco 1897
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:27:28 PM »
I need to pull the trigger soon before the games begin again should I get the SxS or the pump shotgun. I was looking at the Evil Roy pump slicked up for 399 that looks like a great deal but do any of you pards have the ER gun and if so how is it {I don’t care how the wood looks or the blueing just it working}. I've been shooting a SxS with hammers and I suck [to much 4 this speed freak] the hammer less is the one Im looking at I thinking single trigger with fixed choke ,but are the changeable choke really needed for this game we play.

Like many other the shotgun is may Huckleberry and kills my time im pretty close to the top shooter in my club except when it come to the shotgun.
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Stoeger SxS or IAC Noraco 1897
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »
In the course of the 14 months, two double trigger Stoegers and one single trigger Stoeger have passed thru my collection. The two double triggers stayed. The single trigger went back to Stoeger permanently.

Some people can shoot the single trigger version, and some cant. I personally cant. The distance of the trigger pull is very short, and if you "squeeze" trigger rather than "jerking" it, it will reset and fire the second barrel. For me, it happened every time I did it. It sounded like one big boom. The smith's at Stoeger all tried it and they said it worked fine for all of them. It went back and forth a couple of times before they sent me a single trigger replacement for it and all is fine now.

The more $expensive "Supreme" model has nicer wood than the standard model. It also has screw-in chokes. You said you don't care about wood, but the screw in choke part means you can swap the chokes out and make both barrels pattern the same. If you have a pair of I.C. and an pair of Modified tubes you are probably all set for anything that can happen. I personally put the I.C tubes in both of them and have not felt a need to change them since. I was at the range today and I walked a couple of milk jugs from 10 yards out to the back of the 50 yard range with 25 rounds, never missing a single time.

Putting all that aside, the 3rd thing the "Supreme" model has is a fairly functional rubber butt pad. If you get one without a pad, you will be spending money to put a pad on it. The short guns do kick. The pad makes it manageable. Having survived a dozen or so incidences of both barrels going off at once with factory field loads with only minor bruising while I had the single trigger version, I am really glad I went with the Supreme model.  It is nice to get one with a pad already installed.

Also, there are several variations of the Supreme. The two I have both have the S.S. receiver... a nice touch when shooting BP as it is more corrosion resistant.

Rick

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:42 PM »
Some people can shoot the single trigger version, and some cant. I personally cant. The distance of the trigger pull is very short, and if you "squeeze" trigger rather than "jerking" it, it will reset and fire the second barrel. For me, it happened every time I did it. It sounded like one big boom. The smith's at Stoeger all tried it and they said it worked fine for all of them. It went back and forth a couple of times before they sent me a single trigger replacement for it and all is fine now.

They sent you a new single trigger SXS or a new trigger group?

Thanks, I now see where the interchangeable chokes will make sense so that pretty much make it a two trigger gun.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:00:42 AM »

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »
The sent me an entirely different gun.

I am not sure if one can just swap the trigger groups or if the receiver's are actually a bit different, but the one they sent back was not the one I sent to them.

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
Nice to see a company that will try to make the customer happy.

Offline El Jefe

• Citizen
    • Cowboy Action Shooting - Deep in the Heart of Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »
I posted this to another question but I shoot the Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme (Single Trigger) in 20 gauge and found it to be a fantastic gun after reworking the safety and polishing the action. Mine opens cleanly with little force and snaps shut with a flick of the wrist. Had to replace the soft firing pins after the heads mushroomed but didn't really need much honing before I could eject both shotshells with an easy backwards motion. I shoot Winchester AA target loads and the recoil is almost nothing. The single trigger is crisp and makes it very easy to squeeze off two shots in less than one second. I honestly couldn't be happier with my choice.

Having said that, I think the Winchester 1897 Pump Action Shotgun is perhaps the finest CAS shotgun going these days. I've seen folks run this shotgun through six shells in less time than I can shoot four with my coach gun. The only problem is that Cimarron sells their 1897SG in 12-gauge for about $560 which is almost twice what I paid for my Stoeger Supreme Single Trigger.
Regards from Texas

Jeff Lynch
SASS #: 93751
SASS Alias: Colonel Benjamin Terry (Texas Rangers)

CAS Blog: http://cowboyshooting.wordpress.com

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »
More and more top shooters are switching from the 97 to a double.  Either in an experts hands can be shot VERY fast.  They are completely different and some just prefer the feel of one over the other.  You have to decide what feels the best to YOU and then once you get it spent hours and hours and hours and thousands of rounds practicing and you will get pretty darn fast.  As far as removable chokes, they are totally unnecessary for cowboy shooting.  Thousands of shotguns have had their barrels shortened and work fine with a completely open bore.

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »
Quote from: El Jefe link=topic=
The only problem is that Cimarron sells their 1897SG in 12-gauge for about $560 which is almost twice what I paid for my Stoeger Supreme Single Trigger.

The Cimaron that I have seen all have the same problem they lock up and you dam near have disassemble the gun to get it to work again.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
Anyone know who has Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme, 12g, Stainless receiver, (Single Trigger) in stock.........??

What have you folks paid for this shotgun?

THANKS!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »
Anyone know who has Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme, 12g, Stainless receiver, (Single Trigger) in stock.........??

What have you folks paid for this shotgun?

THANKS!

Just order my Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme polish ss for 425 plus tax 461 out the door 3 to 6 weeks here on long island.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
I paid $350 each plus tax for two I bought in the beginning of last year.

I got them from two different gun shops, both were special order. One came in after 4 weeks the other one came in after only a week.

The way it was explained to me, the was Stoeger sets things up one pretty much has to be a stocking Stoeger dealer doing X amount of business minimum per year to order anything. For that reason you can't just go to your "FFL buddy" and get it thru him.

You can try Cabela's and Dick's. I believe Stoeger lists their dealers on their web site.

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »
Oh ok I got the stoeger this is what she lookis like

Stop with the drooling, but I still want to hear from you Evil Roy 1897 owners. i very well might have to own one of dems too ::)

Offline El Jefe

• Citizen
    • Cowboy Action Shooting - Deep in the Heart of Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 06:11:21 PM »
Able's Ammo in Huntsville, Texas has a few model in stock for a fast shipment.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/stoeger-coach-shotguns-sale-online-from-stoeger-firearms-c-9935_13769_6207_6225.html
Regards from Texas

Jeff Lynch
SASS #: 93751
SASS Alias: Colonel Benjamin Terry (Texas Rangers)

CAS Blog: http://cowboyshooting.wordpress.com

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »
Just got word more like 6 to 8 weeks. Oh well still be cold out by the time I get it.

So no one has any thing to say about the Evil Roy 1897 pump.

Offline FrostyFriday

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 04:46:07 AM »
I like both the Stoeger and 97 they are fun and fast to shoot. However; the 97 has lots of parts (100) that can and will at sometime fail. It has been suggested that you should own three.....one for the match, one being repaired and a spare.

Offline G W Wade

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 08:27:15 PM »
anything isds fast when stars are in line dont have er97 but all 97 seem to do whatever theyu want when ever they want
the smell of gunpowder in the morning

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com