Author Topic: USFA/Turnbull revolvers  (Read 18575 times)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: USFA/Turnbull revolvers
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »
Old Doc,
That's the "A" level coverage on Highlander's gun.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline North Bender

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 10:17:12 PM »
Highlander that is a seriously beautiful piece of engineering.  I can't write better praise.

Are you going to shoot the heck out of it or lock it up?  I'm in favor of trying to wear it out but both options are understandable to me.

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 07:05:47 AM »
Thanks for all of the nice comments.  And yes it is "A" Engraving.  I plan to shoot a few rounds through it just to see how it shots, maybe later this week.  Then clean it up and put it in the safe. :)  Wish I could leave it out and look at it all of the time.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:34:21 AM »

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
You know, Highlander,I have a safe full of really nice single actions, Colts, USFA's and I rarely get to see them. I no sooner get one, than I'm thinking about the next one but I'm growing fonder of guns like my USFA Gunslinger, my stainless Rugesr and a Uberti, I am currently antiquing.I don't have to baby them . I don't have to worry about scratching them or getting the dreaded cylinder ring. Don't have to worry if they get fingerprints. I can leave it lying on a workbench and look at it all I want. Safety is not an issue because I can't afford the bullets. Somehow, it still doesn't keep me from looking at guns like yours and thinking, "Hey, maybe I oughta get one of those."

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 10:51:58 PM »
Heck, I can't afford bullets either :)  But like you it's in the safe, and I don't get to look at it like I'd like.  But I won't "Baby" it, will take care of it though...
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 03:18:54 AM »
Very Nice!  To veiw them is one thing, but I bet holding them is a fantastic moment.

Offline Kinchafoonee Kid

• Kinchafoonee Kid
  • NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »
Howdy, everyone.  Just joined SSAS and new on the forum.  Look forward to getting to know everyone and obtain and share knowledge.

I am privileged to own two USFA, a Rodeo in .45 with 5 1/2 barrel and a Doug Turnbull also in .45 and 5 1/2 barrel. 

The Rodeo was tuned by Long Hunter and is accurate in addition to being slick.  I dressed it in ebony gunfighters from Eagle Grips and distressed the matte finish in my version of antiquing.

The DT is beautiful and is enhanced by Eagle ultra ivory gunfighters.  However, right out of the box the action is silky smooth and it is amazing to shoot.  Today at 15 yards, I placed five rounds into one ragged hole.

My recipe is starline brass, CCI 350 primer, 35 gr FFG Schuetzen compressed about .13', no wad, and an Old West copy of the Lyman with one big lube groove in .454, lubed with a home made lube recipe (Dan T lube).

I welcome any advice.

KK
Kinchafoonee Kid
SSAS 94231

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
...I welcome any advice.

KK

Howdy K-Kid and welcome.  Since you are new here, I will advise you that we all WANNA SEE PICTURES!!  So we can enjoy your guns vicariously.   ;D

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 04:46:27 PM »
KK,,you do KNOW,,that we require PICTURES !!!  :)

Deadwood

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »
K-Kid,
Welcome!  I look forward to your participation here on the USFA forum.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Kinchafoonee Kid

• Kinchafoonee Kid
  • NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 05:01:17 PM »
Howdy everyone, I'm trying to figure out how to post photos.  Any suggestions? Thanks, KK
Kinchafoonee Kid
SSAS 94231

Offline wileycoyote

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
yes, we could use a sticky about this process.

maybe this will help:

the easiest way is to upload the picture to a host.

i use Photobucket (free service). others use on-line services like Imageshack.

best to first re-size the image to around 800 pixels on the longest side (and more compression so size is between 25-100K if possible).

once its hosted, you can copy the basic image info for where your image is now located.

then when posting it you can often pick an Insert Image button in the writing menu. just add the copied info where you wish to display the image and your done.

that's all that's needed at CasCity to post images....

but not all forums have this option. for these you need to do it manually. you'll need the image location info (its usually one of three or four image options they give you).

copy the "img" info (the direct image link to your uploaded picture) that the host offers.

it must have "img" tags at both ends of the link. they are often ready-built for you (photobucket does this for you). just insert this info where you want the image to show up.

and if the host doesn't offer a pre-made link with the "img" tags, you can write them yourself:

you write the head and tail tags so the forum server automatically loads your image:

the first tag being a "[" then "img" followed by a closing bracket "]".

after you paste in the image link you do almost the same thing, but in a closing form with a slash, like this "[/" plus the img tag and then a a closing bracket "]".

(i've tried to actually type this out for you but the servers won't show it, instead the server tries to find it.)

and the picture should automatically show up.

ie: here's the link to a hosted image location of one of mine photos used elsewhere on this forum: http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/oregoncoyote/USFA-pix-a.jpg

when i put those two "img" opening & closing tags on either side (and don't forget all the brackets and the "/" in the second tag), it looks like this:

and here's additional info from the Seecamp site on "How To Post Pictures": http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1155821059

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »
Well, went over to my Dad's yesterday and finally shot my Turbull/USFA.  WOW, nice crisp action and just out playing kept all 10 rounds (two 5s) in a 4" circle.  Didn't put them all in one ragged circle like the K. Kid did, but I was quite impressed with the gun.  It would be nice to own two, but that seems a bit decadant :)
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 07:42:26 AM »
Hello to you Capt,

I've returned home and I'm not going back to Afghanistan.  I figured 2 1/2 years was enough.  I'll probably start working next month but right now I'm sitting up late at night stuffing Trailboss into large casings and getting my pistols to the range as often as I can.

Another fun thing I do is moderate on the Gunboards Makarov forum.  I posted some photos of my time in Regional Command East on that forum if anyone's interested:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?241716-Photos-from-Afghanistan

Great photos, and thanks very much for your service!
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline North Bender

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
Thanks Highlander!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com