Author Topic: pocket watch  (Read 26143 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: pocket watch
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 12:09:48 PM »
Quality Gear Question
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 07:02:08 am »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Older pocket watches abound in antique malls and at antique shows - try there, first.

Once cleaned and oiled properly - they're as good as new - even the really old ones, and I know a guy who's an old watchmaker, and he works on any of my new acquisitions.

The one I carry is a 'lever-set transitional' made in 1884 by the Illinois Watch Co. - with glass on both sides of the case, so the works can be viewed - it keeps better time than my Rolex.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 01:04:13 PM »
If your tinker is still accepting repairs, please get me the contact info.

Thanks

Boy looks like it may be a dieing art,i called and the ole boy finally retired,Plunketts coin shop here in town told me they can't find anyone lately and that's where i got my pocket watch and chain 2 years ago :-\ :(
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
If your tinker is still accepting repairs, please get me the contact info.

Thanks

Boy looks like it may be a dieing art,i called and the ole boy finally retired,Plunketts coin shop here in town told me they can't find anyone lately and that's where i got my pocket watch and chain 2 years ago :-\ :(

I have a very good Pocket Watch repair man in Louisiana. Let me know if anyone needs the number.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:27:26 AM »

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 01:40:37 AM »

here is a watch my wife inherited when parents passed

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 07:31:39 AM »
...The one I carry is a 'lever-set transitional' made in 1884 by the Illinois Watch Co. - with glass on both sides of the case, so the works can be viewed - it keeps better time than my Rolex...

Illinois Watch Co. Little known today but they made in the 1920's what many collectors believe was THE greatest watch ever made in America: the Consul.

It is sad that few people know that from the late 1800's through the mid 1900's the USA was the leader in watch production in the  world and had at that time surpased even the lauded Swiss in quality & precision. Those days are long gone.  :'(

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 09:45:42 AM »
Way back when, Sears, Roebuck even sold a watch repairman's tools and instruction booklets, if you'd wanted to take that up as your new line of work once you'd figured out that cowboying and hide hunting just wasn't your cup of tea.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »
Way back when, Sears, Roebuck even sold a watch repairman's tools and instruction booklets, if you'd wanted to take that up as your new line of work once you'd figured out that cowboying and hide hunting just wasn't your cup of tea.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Oh great, another get rich slow scheme!  I have one now that I have just about perfected into a get rich never scheme.  Herself will kill me!
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
I wear this one in my vest pocket with the chain through a buttonhole and the Silver Dollar in the vest pocket on the other side. There are 2 elk ivories that hang as decorations on the chain, a great look with original watch and Morgan Dollar that is mounted in another original 18K gold watch frame...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »
No doubt about it - the original stuff's best - that's why all of my stuff's from the era.

Nice watch and chain.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 08:29:51 AM »
If all y'all are still looking for watch repairmen, I have 2 that I have used recently that are pretty good.

Chester Hales, Flea Market Antiques, Claude, Texas

Maxie Lismon at Panhandle, Texas

Both do quality work. 
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
My Waltham and how I wear it.

Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »
Nice fobs.

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline HL Hunley

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 05:38:17 AM »
I'm new, and trying to research and gather bits. I really want a pocket watch, because it's a combo of practical (if it still tells time!) and a piece of the Past. The character I'm building would be wealthy enough to have one.

But there aren't many suitable watches out there - and my definition of suitable at its base includes "reproduction that can be lost/destroyed, is cheap".

Yesterday I found a pretty good one. $35.  Others might find it useful too. Yes, it's a Chinese Cheapy. Yes, I have not received it yet. But I still think it fits the bill...

It's a repro of a Swiss Bovet 1882 model. It has the very basics down: Roman Numerals, Separate Second hand and sub-face. It is stem winding, but by 1882 this is A-OK from what I can tell. (Stem winding was apparently available mid 1850s, but reserved for Ultra Rich Types, even through the Civil War). See what you think, and when it arrives, I'll let you know first hand. Supposedly this has real glass and not plastic, and is actually mechanical.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/105299245.html

I've bought one other thing from this group, they don't charge you until you confirm delivery. But definitely, Buyer Beware. Hope it helps.

Greenhorn | SASS #94810 | "A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds." Mark Twain

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 11:55:23 AM »
There was a nice one, replica, on the sass wire classifieds a couple days ago,it was a stem wind also..Just FYI
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 11:13:17 PM »
I'm new, and trying to research and gather bits. I really want a pocket watch, because it's a combo of practical (if it still tells time!) and a piece of the Past. The character I'm building would be wealthy enough to have one.

But there aren't many suitable watches out there - and my definition of suitable at its base includes "reproduction that can be lost/destroyed, is cheap".

Yesterday I found a pretty good one. $35.  Others might find it useful too. Yes, it's a Chinese Cheapy. Yes, I have not received it yet. But I still think it fits the bill...

It's a repro of a Swiss Bovet 1882 model. It has the very basics down: Roman Numerals, Separate Second hand and sub-face. It is stem winding, but by 1882 this is A-OK from what I can tell. (Stem winding was apparently available mid 1850s, but reserved for Ultra Rich Types, even through the Civil War). See what you think, and when it arrives, I'll let you know first hand. Supposedly this has real glass and not plastic, and is actually mechanical.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/105299245.html

I've bought one other thing from this group, they don't charge you until you confirm delivery. But definitely, Buyer Beware. Hope it helps.

Please keep us informed with how your watch turns out. At this price, and if the pictures are what you get then I would be interested in buying one for my outfit as well.

It would be nice to have a watch like that in my collection. Thanks for sharing this.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline HL Hunley

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 10:17:53 PM »
No worries, will let you know. It is reported shipped, so sometime in the next 2 weeks I should have it.

I try to buy local and US, but sometimes it's about availability and price - not just a few dollars, but I really can't justify $200+ for this!

Found this excellent real antique watch, 1880, but it's sold...and it went for $12,500. But it looks similar to my repro, so I think my $35 is not a bad buy...

Greenhorn | SASS #94810 | "A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds." Mark Twain

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 06:19:06 AM »
Mighty fancy watch!  Month, day, date, seconds and the hour, I can see why an original would be 5 digits!!  When it was made it was probably several hundred dollars and owned by someone making way more than hired hand wages. 

A watch like I showed currently sells for between $150 and $250, and origianlly was $5-$15. 

Yours looks like a very nice watch.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »
Here is one of my old Waltham watches with chain and 14kt carved Masonic Fob.  I just bought a Hampden Wm McKiinley Hunter Cased watch, I'll post as soon as I get a picture.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline HL Hunley

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 02:39:49 AM »
Nice pic! I just bought a Waltham as well, 1883, only $91 on eBay. It works! Unfortunately I'm an idiot.

I thought I had a bargain and would get it cleaned to make sure all is well...but apparently cleaning requires disassembly, lubricating, and reassembly (assuming parts aren't worn). If I pursue this avenue, I will spend about $500 more... I should have spent $350-500 on a restored one! But I'm not telling my wife.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »
A regular 'Disassembly, Clean and Oil' has never cost me more than $50 - with parts being extra, though I've never needed anything more than a spring or a crystal.

Parts abound for Elgins and Walthams - all you need to find is an old, semi-retired watch repairman, and his name's likely to be found at your town's oldest jewelry store.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com