Author Topic: Cutout Brass lifter  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Cutout Brass lifter
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »
At our shoot yesterday one of the members was shooting a fairly new Uberti '73 44-40.  He had issues with the bullets not being crimped correctly and telescoped back into the case.  He went off by himself and completely disassemble the rifle.  He still could not get the round out.  I went to help and finally got it completely stripped.  Unlike my Cimarron '73s or my original the brass lifter was hollowed out on the sides apparently to lighten it for CAS shooting.  Is this common in the newer Italian guns?  I dont have anything to compare it to as all my rifles are '94 or earlier.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Cutout Brass lifter
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 12:53:30 AM »
Sounds like an aftermarket carrier of one he had machined out.  All of the Uberti carriers I have ever seen have no lightening cuts.  This is a fairly common modification.

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
I have a lifter from an original 73 Circa 1889 that has a slot of about 3/16 in deep in the sides of the lifter so that
only about 1/8 in at the front and back slide on the receiver wall.  I believe that it came from the factory this way.

Regards
Colt

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:24:40 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 10:27:58 AM »
I have a lifter from an original 73 Circa 1889 that has a slot of about 3/16 in deep in the sides of the lifter so that
only about 1/8 in at the front and back slide on the receiver wall.  I believe that it came from the factory this way.

Regards
Colt

That would be a .32-20 carrier.  The big bores didn't have the slot.  None of the Ubertis come this way. from the factory.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
PF: Thanks for the info.  I am not sure that carrier would be NCOWS legal, but the older gentleman that has it is not out to win the world.  My guess is the rifle was used when he acquired it and it was tuned for SASS because of the carrier and the way the lever and carrier springs have been filed.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com