Author Topic: USFA Factory Closed Over Christmas Holidays  (Read 11213 times)

Offline DakotaDocMartin

• Citizen
  • SASS #21774
    • Dakota Doc Martin's Cowboy Action Shooting and Black Powder Rifle Shooting page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: USFA Factory Pretty Much Closed Most of the Year too!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »
When they aren't on Christmas vacation, what in the heck are those people doing from 9-5 ?

My dealer has had a serialized pair of USFA SAA's polished and in the white with special serial numbers on order for me for going on a year... and, still not a word as to when they are supposed to be produced.  It was mid-summer, early fall, late fall, by the middle of January...

I'm almost getting to the point that I might just buy a pair of Colt's instead.  I love the USFA's and I think they make a much better SAA than Colt does.  (I own them both and that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.)  But, they aren't producing much of anything.

Gary Granger told my dealer how Doug D. has the plant idled with only FOUR employees working there.  I just don't understand it.  It's mind boggling why he doesn't put his nose to the grindstone and get the business fired up.  There's plenty of demand... or, at least there was.  People can only hold on and wait for just so long and they will lose the fire that brought them there to begin with.

Maybe Doug D. doesn't care if he's in business to make firearms or not.  I'm beginning to wonder about that.

Sorry for the rant.   :-[
Out where the handclasp's a little stronger, Out where the smile dwells a little longer, That's where the West begins.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: USFA Factory Closed Over Christmas Holidays
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 07:41:06 PM »
No need to apologize, Dakota.  Many of us here are getting a little frustrated for the same reason. 
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline M McCracken

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 10:55:37 PM »
I'm surprised more hasn't been said, here, about what's going on at USFA. Roughly two months ago, I had telephone conversations with individuals at two USFA dealers. One a former dealer and one current. Both said almost the exact same thing. They said USFA is, and always has been, Doug Donnelly's "hobby". And, it appears, as often happens with hobbies, he's lost interest in it. Both also said USFA hasn't been producing guns. One said not for a year, the other not for 8 months. The person who said "a year" stated USFA had laid off its employees and the plant was sitting idle. The person who said "8 months" stated USFA had sold one of its CNC machines, and presently only employs a bookkeeper, a gunsmith, and Mr. Granger.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:32:04 PM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »
Well, I'd like then to see him sell USFA to someone that would continue making the finest revolver that they are.

I wouldn't trade a one of mine for a farm in Georgia, but it does look like the company has lost production steam to say the least.

Deadwood

Offline M McCracken

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 11:49:37 PM »
Marshal, looks like one of us may need to go find that second gold mine in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre." The one we never heard about. The one the old man never mentioned to Dobbs or Curtin. Then, he could take USFA off Mr. Donnelly's hands and crank it up.

Seriously, I, too, hope these fine revolvers continue being made. I have four, and a strong hankering for, at least, two more.

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 06:08:52 AM »
It is unfortunate where USFA is today.  USFA had brought new life to the SAA.  It forced Colt to wake up, and brought back a true American Quality that had been lacking in the old sixgun.  I have been hopeful as USFA started to bring modern technology together with real craftsmanship and create new guns to extend the growth of an old line, like the 12/22.  It also had the idea of creating a more attractive price for a SAA by choosing different finishes, but keeping the heart of the SAA mechanics at the same high quality as the premium finished guns.  But it seems USFA has fallen back to replicating, or lack of, other peoples' successes in place of creating their own ideas.  Only time will tell.

Offline jphendren

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 09:43:52 AM »
So what do you guys think?  If USFA shuts its doors, will that increase or decrease the value of the USFA's that we have?  I would like to think increase, as there would be a finite supply of them from that point on.

Jared

Offline DakotaDocMartin

• Citizen
  • SASS #21774
    • Dakota Doc Martin's Cowboy Action Shooting and Black Powder Rifle Shooting page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »
So what do you guys think?  If USFA shuts its doors, will that increase or decrease the value of the USFA's that we have?  I would like to think increase, as there would be a finite supply of them from that point on.

Jared

Even though I'm going to engrave the "in the white" pair if and when I ever get them... I will shoot them and enjoy them that way.  That's where the value lies for me.  I don't think the USFA SAA's will ever have a big collector following such as seen with the Colt's.  Buy Colt's if you want to make money for your heirs.
Out where the handclasp's a little stronger, Out where the smile dwells a little longer, That's where the West begins.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com