Author Topic: Taylor's Smoke Wagon in 44wcf  (Read 9762 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Taylor's Smoke Wagon in 44wcf
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »
Howdy
Will pick up a Smoke Wagon this week . This will be the First smoke wagon I have worked with . What should I expect ?

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
Re: Taylor's Smoke Wagon in 44wcf
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 01:26:44 AM »
Howdy Rowdy,

I have a pair of Taylor's Deluxe Smoke Wagons in .38 Special. They are the only Pistols that I ever shot and still shoot stock right out of the box. All of my other SAA's have had action jobs. The specs say that the Smoke Wagon has a low profile hammer but I can't see it on my pair. Size wise they match up almost perfectly to my USFA SAA. I really like the checkered grips.

I think you will like it. I will be interested to hear your impressions.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 02:25:43 AM »
Howdy
I picked the smoke wagon up today . Was able to fire 10 rounds through it . And it functioned the way it was supposed to . It has a Excellent set of checkered grips that are well fitted .A case colored hammer . Overall a nice looking pistol . If it doesn't rain today I plan on shooting on paper to see how it groups ? Will see if .427 or .429 dia. bullets  works . I figure it will use .429 ?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:49:29 PM »

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:59:15 AM »
The Deluxe version is worth the extra money IMO and I think Johnny would agree with me.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »
Howdy
Rain Rain Rain . Yes I did shoot the smoke wagon ,  it was raining and was cut short . It appears to shoot well I hit the targets I was shooting at . Now as for the shot groups ? That will be another day .

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 03:50:56 AM »
Don, I would certainly agree with you. In fact I'm thinking of buying a pair of Deluxe Smoke Wagons in .45 Colt.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
Howdy
Shot about a box of ammo through the smoke wagon today . Was impressed with it .Trigger pull was good , and those thin checker grips are perfect . Today was  excellent weather ,sun shinning  and almost no WIND .

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »
 C'mon, Rowdy, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms for another video...  >:(
Skeet

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »
Howdy
The smoke wagon shoots as good as it looks . Went out today and shot about 40 rounds .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 01:30:19 PM »
Howdy
Went shooting and tried the Triple 7 powder . This aint for wimpy loads . They chronied at 1250 fps from my rifle with a 24 inch barrel . Now didn't shoot any pistol rounds over the chronograph , but they will be a little on the heavy side for cowboy shooting .
But if your in need of a Vintage Hunting round they will be the ticket . The smoke wagon would be a good choice to carry hunting  if you enjoy packing a pistol with your rifle ? On occasion I have deer and 10 yards or less and a pistol works GREAT .

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
I'd sure like to have one in 44-40 with 4.75 inch barrel.   8)  All I need is $$$   ::)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 05:58:03 AM »
I have a pair of Smoke Wagons in .38 special and just picked up a Taylor's Deluxe Smoke Wagon in  .45 Colt with a 5-1/2" barrel. As with my other Smoke Wagons, I'm shooting it stock right out of the box. I've again compared it to my USFA with a 5-1/2" barrel and they are virtually identical in size and shape.

While I'd rather have smooth Corian grips, I sure like the feel of these checkered grips.

I'm no great Pistol shot by any means but have not missed yet with this one.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
Johnny
I love those checkered grips . They hold good in my hand . Are you planning on shooting the 45 colt (BP ) championship at the Eastern Regional .

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 08:23:53 PM »
Hi Rowdy,

As of now I won't be able to make the Eastern Regional's but that could change. If I can make it, I will shoot the .45 Colt BP Championship.

Offline w.b. masterson

• William Barclay Masterson
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »
Rowdy,
Have you slugged the barrel of your .44?  Hopefully, they bored it at .425- .427.  Loading a .429 in a WCF case can be interesting.  I find it much easier to reload with a smaller bullet.  Others may have different experiences to share.
"There are those who argue that everything breaks even in this old dump of a world of ours. I suppose these ginks who argue that way hold that because the rich man gets ice in the summer and the poor man gets it in the winter things are breaking even for both. Maybe so, but I'll swear I can't see it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com