Author Topic: M1855 Rifle Musket for a California Volunteer  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
M1855 Rifle Musket for a California Volunteer
« on: December 16, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »
Here is my .58cal  M1855 Rifle Musket. Few (mostly federal troops) were fortunate enough to get them early in the Civil War before the 1861 models began to appear. The M1855 saw extensive use in the hands of the 1st and 5th regiments of California Infantry who managed to march from Los Angeles across the deserts of Northern Mexico, California, Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas as part of the California Column. Along the way, the column formed a blocking force that pursued Sibley all the way back into Texas; defeated the Apaches, defeated the Navajos and occupied West Texas for the remainder of the war.

Along with the weapon, I have the bayonet, manual, tools, mid war cartridge box and belt. The bayonet, tool, wiper and ball-puller are all originals. I included an original roll of caps with diagram to better explain the Maynard Tape Primer.

-Dave

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
Re: M1855 Rifle Musket for a California Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »
Here is the Maynard tape primer display.

-Dave

Offline CentralPacificRR

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »
That's AWESOME! Is everything else original?

CPRR

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:48:42 PM »

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »
Dave: More wonderful kit! Every time I see a firearm with the Maynard tape priming system I am amazed that it actually made it into production and combat. I'd be scared to death to have to defend myself with a Maynard-primed weapon in truly foul, wet weather. Have you fired yours with paper caps?

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »
Oregon Bill,

I think out in the hot, dry West it wasn't as much as it was back East ... as a matter of fact, I just checked my hygrometer and it is 40% ... and this is a wet day for Sacramento ... LOL.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »
Thanks everyone.  The rifle is well used but not an original. I have only fired metal caps on this. The small paper cap gun caps are a pint-sized version of what the original Maynard caps were like. Unfortunately, the modern paper caps are underpowered for consistent ignition and the correct Maynard caps are not in production. It is usually pretty dry out here in the southwest but that changes during the monsoon season. The Maynard caps were a great idea for easy ignition under ideal firing conditions but once the weather turned and the rain, snow or dew set in, that was another story.

-Dave

Offline Chaparosa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:23:39 PM »
Complete and nicely researched. Congratulations on having assembled a fine example of the period.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com