Author Topic: VERY bad news: Dave Higginbotham  (Read 12745 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
VERY bad news: Dave Higginbotham
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:37:52 PM »
I received an e-mail today stating that Dave Higginbotham of Lone Star Rifle was killed by an accidental discharge of some kind.  I don't have any details, but I would encourage prayers for his family.  I'm sure more information will come out in the near future from people close to the situation.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: VERY bad news: Dave Higginbotham
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »
That's just so sad, indeed. Never met, talked to or had any dealings with him, but I much admired his works. He will be sorely missed in the world of BPCR.

Condolences to his wife, family and his many, many friends.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:09:59 AM »
Hi Y'all,

When I was dealing with trying to learn about buffalo guns, I was sent to Mr Higginbotham.  Even knowing that I was about to buy the VW of buffalo guns, his thoughts on sites and shooting were given in a gentlemanly and gracious manner.

I am hoping this email (I got one too ...) was just a hacker ... even tho' I am not fond of being taken, I would much rather have that happen than the obvious ....

If the news is indeed true, my heart goes out out to his family and loved ones ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:33:48 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »
Word on the Shiloh site is that Dave Higginbotham did in fact shoot himself accidentally with an AR-type rifle. Mike Venturino confirmed it.

Years ago I spoke to Dave on the phone re: a RB rifle. We discussed calibre and he recommended the 50-70 as best suiting my needs. Shortly thereafter, a Shiloh Military Rifle in 50-70 came my way and I never did order a Lone Star product.

But - he was right about the calibre. It's become my 'go-to' hunting rifle, taking two large bears and a couple of nice 4 pt Mule Deer bucks for me.

"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ...."  Robert Duval in Broken Trail

God rest, Dave .... ;>(
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:54:45 PM »
How do you shoot yourself accidentally? :(
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 07:58:21 PM »
I've seen it more than once, unfortunately.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 09:46:42 AM »
Law Dog

How does one shoot one's self accidentally ....?, you ask?

All it takes is a moment's distraction, an error in judgement or a series of poor choices leading to the incident. Familiarity can cause contempt. In this case, we may never know.
Anyone who hasn't had an unintentional discharge hasn't been shooting long enough. Most of us get the crap scared out of us and walk away.

I once read an article by the late Skeeter Skelton on ADs he and others had over the years. He was an ex-law man, gun writer and probably burned up more rounds in his life time than most. Fortunately, he never caused injury to himself or others, but the potential is always there.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee ..." John Donne
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 07:58:40 AM »
Anyone who handles a gun long enough will eventually have a gun accident. The secret to surviving them (and to those around you surviving it) is to always try to do everything right. This minimizes the effect of the (hopefully only) one mistake.

BTW both of mine were when I was trying to put the safety on.  Once my finger was really cold and I thought it was on the safety of my Mini-14 when it was actually on the trigger. The other was putting an old shotgun on half cock and my thumb slipped off the hammer.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline CRM

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
Was this the Guy just north of Houston that built Rolling Block Rifles?

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:44:16 AM »

Hello,

Having just returned from a deployment I would like to say that when you carry an AR type regulary you get comfortable and you also always know how or  what can happen..
    And that was with "non tuned" weapons.. But this is sad none the less.

Lewie

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 03:04:27 PM »
CRM,

Yes that is the person.  I had a goal to have him build me a rifle.  Guess that'll never happen now.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline LoneStarJr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 06:23:24 PM »
Hello All...

Dave Higginbotham is my father.  Yes, my father made a mistake, and in the end it robbed the world of a truly good man.  We don't know the details of why he picked up his AR-15 from the muzzle, but I suspect he was trying to cut his trips back and forth to the truck short.  My father suffered daily with horrible arthritis.  Some days the pain was manageable, others it was not.   I believe he had his hands full and rather than make another trip back to the truck, he probably thought, "well, lemme just grab this real quick.."

My father worked on and around guns all his life, and if he had seen someone else do what he did, he'd been the first to pop them upside the head and call them a "Dadburn Idgit". 

My father used to always tell me, "Son, a gun is like a snake... As long as you're safe and take all the right precautions handling them you'll be fine, but the first time you get careless, it's gonna bite ya."

Unfortunately as we all know when you work with something day in and day out over a period of years, you get complacent... too self assured.

Please always remember to practice what you preach... please.. in the end it could be just the thing that saves your life.

God Bless you all, and thank you all for the kind words you've spoken about my Dad.

<><

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »
Hello All...

Dave Higginbotham is my father.  Yes, my father made a mistake, and in the end it robbed the world of a truly good man.  We don't know the details of why he picked up his AR-15 from the muzzle, but I suspect he was trying to cut his trips back and forth to the truck short.  My father suffered daily with horrible arthritis.  Some days the pain was manageable, others it was not.   I believe he had his hands full and rather than make another trip back to the truck, he probably thought, "well, lemme just grab this real quick.."

My father worked on and around guns all his life, and if he had seen someone else do what he did, he'd been the first to pop them upside the head and call them a "Dadburn Idgit". 

My father used to always tell me, "Son, a gun is like a snake... As long as you're safe and take all the right precautions handling them you'll be fine, but the first time you get careless, it's gonna bite ya."

Unfortunately as we all know when you work with something day in and day out over a period of years, you get complacent... too self assured.

Please always remember to practice what you preach... please.. in the end it could be just the thing that saves your life.

God Bless you all, and thank you all for the kind words you've spoken about my Dad.

<><

LonestarJr, thank you for the post and for being so candid.  Everyone wishes you and your family the best.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
Lonestar Jr,

I have lost both my father and mother and miss then everyday ... I feel like somehow I have been orphaned.

Just know that there are many in here who have suffered a loss such as yours .... and although each is individual and hurts a certain way, we have walked down that road .... maybe at a different time and certainly at a different situation, but it still hurts.

I have been watching this post and wanted to say something .... perhaps it does not feel the way I wished it would have, but I needed to say something

We all feel your pain in one way or another .... take care of you and your family ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
Very sad.  Dave was a stand-up guy.  He worked on a couple of rifles for me over the years.  We have lost a true craftsman.

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 12:32:52 AM »
Lonestar Jr.

My deepest condolences to you over the tragic loss of your father.

The BPCR community has lost a great friend and gunsmith with his passing.

I'm fortunate to have a custom Roller that he built for me several years ago.  I treasure it greatly.

Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline LoneStarJr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »
Hey all...

Thank you all for your kind words.  It's been a long hard road trying to get used to this world without my father in it.  But you were all so kind, and I've healed at least enough to where I think I'm ready to show you guys the rifle my father made for me.  Now, call me partial, but I believe this is one of his best ever.  It's a one of a kind being the only one he made in a tapered octagon barrel. It's caliber is 30-30. Lot's of custom engraving, and the tiger stripped wood is phenomenal. Dad made me this caliber because he knew with a big family and not much space, I'd need to be able to buy ammo, rather than reload it.

Hope you all like it...

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 05:26:14 AM »
That is a beauty, true art....thanks for showing it...

I truly understand it's meaning to you as well....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 07:21:21 AM »
Treasure it, jr.
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »
Hello All...

<><

Very sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family.

Accidents happen every day, some worse than others and unfortunately, this was a worst case situation.
A few years back, a friend of mine lost her husband in a hunting accident. He was shot by his best friend and deacon, during a hog hunting trip. He was in some thick brush, sitting next to his young daughter... it could have been much worse.

No matter how much a person is around firearms, there is always the potential for an accident, just as with many other things. From these lessons, we must learn to be more attentive and not lapse into complacency. Let us learn from the mistakes of others rather than from our own and pray that the price for that lesson is not to high.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com