Author Topic: Cimarron Model P...how strong is it?  (Read 9860 times)

Offline rod locker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron Model P...how strong is it?
« on: December 11, 2011, 06:03:12 PM »
I am very close to buying one in a .45 LC.  Is it strong enough to take loads right off the shelf or is it better equipped for cowboy loads?  I am very new at this game and just beginning to learn about this aspect of shooting.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cimarron Model P...how strong is it?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »
Your gun will handle any standard .45 Colt load and all factory ammo NOT marked +P. With black powder you can easily push a 250 gr lead bullet faster than 900 fps. I've shot hundreds, maybe thousands, of rounds of ammo loaded with a 200 gr lead bullet at over 900 fps through the exact same type gun.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:02:04 AM »
Right on.

Any off-the-shelf ammo, either Cowboy loads or standard will be fine.  Like Shotgun stated, stay away from +P loads, most notably the loads Cor-Bon makes for hunting.  (300 gr. and 260/275 gr. or thereabouts, if I remember rightly.)  They could damage your new purchase ... and/or maybe YOU!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:12:21 PM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »
If you want to go with plus p ammo or some of the hot hunting stuff ruger super blackhawks are the best bet, if not the only real game in town. 
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 06:43:36 PM »
If you want to go with plus p ammo or some of the hot hunting stuff ruger super blackhawks are the best bet, if not the only real game in town. 

Yeppir!  There is also a SAA design of custom revolvers that can handle the Cor-Bon ammo, but normal SAA repros should only shoot standard and Cowboy spec ammo.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline El Jefe

• Citizen
    • Cowboy Action Shooting - Deep in the Heart of Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 09:20:58 PM »
I'm a newcomer to these parts but I have one Cimarron Evil Roy (Model P) in .45LC for fun and another two in .38/.357 for competition. My .45LC has almost three thousands rounds through it (Winchester, Black Hills, Fiocchi, Georgia Arms reloads) and still shows no signs of stress or unusual wear. I did choose the case-hardened steel version for the extra strength but I've seen stainless Model Ps with many thousands of rounds through them with no ill effects.

If you're really worried about it you can always get a copy of Kuhnhausen's shop manual for the 1873 and spend hour after hour inspecting your SAA for signs of metal fatigue and wear. Most folks just stick with standard or cowboy loads and enjoy the hell out of shooting their Cimarrons for many (MANY) years. ;)
Regards from Texas

Jeff Lynch
SASS #: 93751
SASS Alias: Colonel Benjamin Terry (Texas Rangers)

CAS Blog: http://cowboyshooting.wordpress.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com