Author Topic: Cleaning Question-Ballistol  (Read 11541 times)

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cleaning Question-Ballistol
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
Anyone use Ballistol to clean/lubricate/protect their Spencer?

I recently began working with an individual from Austria. He swears by this stuff for his firearms. We recently tried it on an AR bolt full of carbon. After soaking for about 20 minutes, the carbon wiped off. If you're not familiar with the AR bolts, it is a direct gas impingement system and gasses carbonize on the bolt. The carbon has to be scraped off. 

I was impressed by the stuff and we are going to experiment with it at work.

I was wondering how well this would work in my Spencer.

Offline Preston County Rider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cleaning Question-Ballistol
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:34:43 AM »
FWIW - I've been using Ballistol for years with my Cowboy action guns and antique Sharps and Winchester High-Wall - all BP shooters. I use it more as a lube than a cleaner but it works well as either. I always take a small container to the range for spot cleaning as needed - bottom line - I swear by this stuff! (Again - I only shoot BP - I really haven't used it with my only non-BP firearm - a Mauser Bolo - so I can't comment on its smokeless capabilities - anyway, this smokeless-thing is just a fad!)
PCR

Offline Count Sandor

• Active citizen
  • Illowa Irregulars, Shady Creek Shootists, IRCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:05:05 AM »
I do not own a Spencer...however, I can say that after years of experimentation, I now have no other cleaners or lubes in the gun room, which is dedicated to BP and subs. My son also uses Ballistol extensively on his smokeless weapons, don't see why it wouldn't work on AR's or Spencers. It also seems to work very well, for me at least, as a disinfectant on small cuts, and for anything else that is claimed on the can. Be aware that some folks, especially it seems those of the female persuasion, find the aroma of Ballistol to be objectionable, and are likely to let you know about it.

Count Sandor
SBSS #2023 - OGB
Chief Stealth Bullet Investigator of the Holy Roman Empire
Dirty RAT #396
NRA Life
SASS Life
WARTHOG

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:06:37 PM »

Offline wormey

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:59:39 AM »
I agree with the others!  Nothing better.....as a cleaner and/or lubricant.  Only objection is the smell.  Smells like a well used jock strap.  At some point the smell doesn`t bother me, but I assure you that is not the case for others....wife, daughter, etc.  Sometimes I wonder what others think.........but more importantly, it does the job and more.  Good for leather, wood, the skin, the list is endless.  ;D

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »
Who lets the wimmen folk in the man room?   :o :o :o

Offline Count Sandor

• Active citizen
  • Illowa Irregulars, Shady Creek Shootists, IRCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:19:36 PM »
If you clean and lube two SAA's, one lever gun, and one SXS with Ballistol, it isn't necessary for the "wimmen folk" to enter the room...they WILL pick up the scent from just about anywhere in the house...trust us on this!

CS
SBSS #2023 - OGB
Chief Stealth Bullet Investigator of the Holy Roman Empire
Dirty RAT #396
NRA Life
SASS Life
WARTHOG

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »
Count:

You confuse me. The house is the man room. The wimmen folk are in the red lighted house down the road.

You mean the smell goes that far away?    ;D

Offline Shenandoah

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 10:07:18 AM »
As an update, I used it to clean a sharps carbine. I invited my wife downstairs to get an opinion on the smell. She had no issues with it, she thought it smelled "kinda sweet". It didn't bother me at all.

It worked well, I learned something new.

I also took my duty AR15 to the range last week and shot about 100 rounds. I cleaned it with Ballistol and it performed much, much better than the CLP we had been using. After our spring range, we're going to have 10-15 officers use it for cleaning their rifles and get more input. We want to get rid of the CLP altogether and this may work for us. Might even use it on the Glocks.

I realize this talk about modern semi's is blasphemy here, but it is interesting something so old can work on modern weapons as well as our "Civil War" era weapons.

Offline Cal Fornia

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 09:53:44 PM »
I agree with the others!  Nothing better.....as a cleaner and/or lubricant.  Only objection is the smell.  Smells like a well used jock strap.  At some point the smell doesn`t bother me, but I assure you that is not the case for others....wife, daughter, etc.  Sometimes I wonder what others think.........but more importantly, it does the job and more.  Good for leather, wood, the skin, the list is endless.  ;D

I always thought it smelled like crushed insects... perhaps grasshoppers?    :P

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 04:56:48 AM »
A couple weeks ago I bought a starter kit of Ballistol. It included a can of concentrate, a can of spray, a needle oiler, a spray bottle and a bunch of instructions.

My 1892 Rossi, 1873 Uberti and two NM Vaquero Rugers have not been cleaned all summer.

I'm shooting Lyman #2 lead with LEE tumble ALOX lube. CAS velocities.

I took all four guns and gave them a good spray of the Balistol. Inside the action and in the barrels. I let them sit for 15 minutes.

Using compressed air I blew out the interior of the guns onto a white towel. I did not bother taking them apart although I did remove the cylinders from the revolvers and gave them a good Ballistol scubbing with rag and bronze bore brush.

Lots of black oil was seen on the towel.

A bronze brush was scrubbed ten times in the bores followed by two cloth patches. The first patch came out black as coal. The second a dark grey and the third was nearly clean!

The bores looked great! And the actions are smooth as silk.

A quick wipe down and I called it done.

This Ballistol is my new cleaning, lubing agent until something better comes along. Amazing stuff!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 10:37:23 PM »
I love Balistol.  I use it to clean EVERY gun I own.  MY AR15, I do lube with CLP. but my two 9mms 870, and M1 Carbine I just lube with balistol.  I used it on all of my CAS guns whether BP cartridge or smokeless.  It is good for cuts and scrapes on your skin (Germans used it in WW I for topical antibiotic like iodine) and great for leather and wood, too.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »
Besides cleaning your Spencer, Ballistol is great for cleaning air guns. Ballistol will not damage the seals like some petro based bore cleaners and gun oil.  JW
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline mpdphil

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 12:30:38 AM »
The Germans also used Ballistol as an antiseptic. You can gargle with it to cure sore throats, drink a shot of it to chase away hangovers, and I also heard it can cure syphilis.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
The Germans also used Ballistol as an antiseptic. You can gargle with it to cure sore throats, drink a shot of it to chase away hangovers, and I also heard it can cure syphilis.

I just saw in the local rag that someone has come up with a vacination syphilis?!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »
After hearing all this stuff, I have to wonder how it works on flat tires?
Anybody research when Ballistol was introduced to the world?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 03:46:10 PM »
Dr. Helmut Klever  a professor of chemistry at the Technische Hochschule in Karlsruhe, developed Ballistol in 1904.
Adopted by the German army in 1905 and used through WW11.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 09:11:12 AM »
Major 2,

Thanks!
I didn't think Ballistol was available when Black powder was the only powder, at least here in the US.
Water, better yet hot water works best for BP.
My best,
 Bair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »
After recently shooting a batch of 45 Colt rounds I cleaned the two guns used with Ballistol. No problems and no follow up rust as I've heard some report.

And as an aside, I find it fascinating that some will say hot water is best for cleaning BP while others will declare cold water is best. My inclination is to think cold water was used more often in the day, just because of convenience. That said, when I was shooting BP I always cleaned with hot water and soap. (smile)

Dave

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »
It does go back further , Helmet's Father  Friedrich Wilhelm Klever started production of oils based on coal.
Balistol as we know it was  the son Dr. Helmut Klever in 1904 it is basis a medically pure white oil.
 It is also has various drugs and herbs added to the white oil (Mineral oil)
It was used by the Germans in both World Wars , the U.S. Army used it in WWII.
The Family owned company headquarters was targeted by the Allies and destroyed ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 10:56:04 AM »

Humpff!  Odd man out.  I don't like nor recommend Ballistol for anything.  Clean my guns (All BP or Sub) with Water (maybe a drop of Dawn) and lube em with Mobil 1.  Did I mention I don't happen to like Ballistol??

Whom was the Necromancer brought this Dead Thread back anyway.  Diggin up Bones indeed   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com