Author Topic: Tsalagidave, you're busted!  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Tsalagidave, you're busted!
« on: December 21, 2011, 05:21:25 PM »
I just received a copy of "Civil War Woodworking," and right there on Page 70 is a wet-plate collodion photograph of three 1st California Infantrymen reacting to the hands of cards they have just been dealt. HEY, WAIT A MINUTE! I've seen the guy on the left before!

;D

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: Tsalagidave, you're busted!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »
Yep. That's me. The other guy with the losing hand is Don Smith while the one with the winning hand is Ian McWherther. One of my friends in the UK hit me up about my newfound fame and I still haven't seen that book.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:13:31 AM »
Dave: The book is well worth having. The author goes to great lengths discussing historical accuracy before he even gets into the wood working projects. Lots of original photos, too, along with the modern collodians.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:59:21 PM »

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »
You are now the third person who has recommended this book to me so I guess I'll have to order one this week. I love the subject but have been busy with so many other things, I kept putting it off. I can't believe that was 6-years ago when that photo was taken. It was a wet plate collodian image by Wm. Dunniway at the 2005 Moorpark event.

-Dave

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »
Dave: The author's explanation of why we should attempt to be true to the period and to the specific impression is one of the best introductions to historical reenacting I've read. None of it will be new to you, but the projects are excellent and very well researched. He even tells you why the patterns left by modern saws lead us astray.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
I checked out the book online.  I'll have to get myself a copy. It looks like my kind of coffee table read. I noticed they are on sale so I'll grab one at lunch when I have more time.

-Dave

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 11:30:04 AM »
I checked out the book online.  I'll have to get myself a copy. It looks like my kind of coffee table read. I noticed they are on sale so I'll grab one at lunch when I have more time.

-Dave

Just thumbed through the book at amazon ... order is in process.

One of the plans in the book is for "Kelly's camp chair"  and I found this post where someone built it.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=5473670&Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=5473631&Search=true&where=&Name=81459&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »
Two Walks, that chair sure caught my eye, too. And the traveling desk as well, but for that one I'm afraid I might be required to cut straight lines and right angles, so I'm out of the game before I start!

:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com