Author Topic: Californio Clothing and traditions  (Read 4944 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Californio Clothing and traditions
« on: December 03, 2011, 12:26:10 AM »
Hi,

On the historical forum I have a long thread about the Californio and his lifestyle ...rather than importing the whole thread, it can be perused at:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,28287.0.

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: Californio Clothing and traditions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »
Thanks Bill,

I do early California too. I've seen some of your kit and it looks great.  Thanks for the lead.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:37:22 PM »
Just remember,

The Calfornios thought anything not done on a horse was beneath them .... I have a hard time getting my cummerbund tight enough to hold my pants up ... but that would have been done for him .... probably by an indian servant or a spouse

And mess kits and cooking seem to have been the providence of women and servants ... Hey, I'm just saying ... but the plates and silverware would have been the best they could obtain ... it kind of reminds me of the Russian Court and Officers just before the Revolution ... forced to live far beyond their means .... it is said that one could never be sure of the fiscal situation with a Californio .... that a person might be riding a silver embroidered saddle and a prize stallion and still not know where his next meal was coming from  ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:16:10 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com