Author Topic: John Wayne trivia  (Read 19680 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: John Wayne trivia
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »
Yeah, but he took a beating first. That didn't happen in many JW pics.

I remember that being the other way around.  Dern got his whooped by a JW that was almost three times his age.   8)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »

I wouldn't say that.  He gave probably more than he got.  Especially in the beginning of the fight.  JW: "On my worst day I could beat the hell out of you."  Dern: "I don't think so."  JW: "You WILL THINK SO!"  WHAP WHAP!  Dern goes down with a broken face. (then had to be clubbed from behind by one of Dern's men to give Dern an edge....and Dern still lost)  

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 01:44:12 PM »

What really didn't happen in too many John Wayne movies is him getting killed.  Cowboys, The Shootist, Sands of Iwo Jima, The Alamo were the only four I can think of (I guess Man Who Shot Liberty Valance would cound as five if you are talking about him simply dying and not being killed) 

I just realized the other day, when my wife said "I've never seen Clint Eastwood killed in a movie" that Grand Torino (his last movie) is the only movie that I can think of where Clint Eastwood gets killed.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:34:17 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 02:02:44 PM »
You got a problem with that? It implies that he is not a bully and won't be intimidated. Sounds like a great motto to live by.
A simple code for a simple man.

I like Wayne and enjoyed him in the Shootist although I thought the "I will not be wronged..."specch was a little over the top.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
Hi,

They played 'In Old Sacramento' for Gold Rush Days here in Sackatomatoes ... and I was very surprised to find so many 1883 (and afterward) Colts use in the Gold Rush of '49 ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Old_California_%281942_film%29

I wish Major 2 would have been working that movie ... it would have made it SO much more enjoyable ...

TTFN
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 424
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
What really didn't happen in too many John Wayne movies is him getting killed.  Cowboys, The Shootist, Sands of Iwo Jima, The Alamo were the only four I can think of (I guess Man Who Shot Liberty Valance would cound as five if you are talking about him simply dying and not being killed) 

I just realized the other day, when my wife said "I've never seen Clint Eastwood killed in a movie" that Grand Torino (his last movie) is the only movie that I can think of where Clint Eastwood gets killed.

For the Duke you can add
Wake of the Red Witch, Fighting Seabees & Reap the Wind, He is lost in "Sea Chase" but presumed lived.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »
In what JW movie does a lady use a Spencer carbine to break up a fight .... ?

JohnsonBarr

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »
Here's one for you. Not anything close to academy award winning; but the women are easy on the eyes. While I was sitting through George Plimpton's western debut: Rio Lobo. Watch close for this; JW is in the Blackthorn sheriff's office when I noticed the wanted posters over his right shoulder. Hondo Lane $1000! The real star is Jack Elam with his tied back double hammer gun and a sack of shot shells slung around his neck.

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 11:55:35 PM »
The real star is Jack Elam with his tied back double hammer gun and a sack of shot shells slung around his neck.

Alright, now what's this DAMN big Yank doing here?! 

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 09:37:02 PM »

Wake of the Red Witch.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »
PJ, that would have to be 'The Undefeated' about a group of southerners who head to Mexico after the war.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com