Author Topic: .38 S&W Double Action Top Break 2nd Model  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.38 S&W Double Action Top Break 2nd Model
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
The gun was manufactured between 1882 and 1884. Thats when the 3rd model came out. It is nickel plated, but the nickel plating is worn through in several spots. The bore has pitting throuhout. I'm thinking that as long as I'm going to replace the barrel (I can't abide pitting) I might just strip off the nickel plate and blue the whole thing. Brownells has a room temperature stripping solution that is advertised as doing the job in 30 minutes to 4 hours with no cyanide or dangerous chemicals and without dammaaging the steel. The reservation that I have is that most of these old guns weren't made of steel, at least not what we today would consider steel. They were made of much softer alloys or just plain iron. My question is, haved any of you used this solution or one similar to it on an old revolver? You know, like the German Dentist in Marathion Man asked, "Is it safe?"
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline john323

• Gunsmith
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .38 S&W Double Action Top Break 2nd Model
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »
I haven't used it myself but I would call the Brownell tech staff and let them tell you if it's safe.
johnsgunsmithing@live.com

Southern California

Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com